Sponsored

Anyone Running Optima/Targa Events?

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I'm looking at taking my build back a notch or two and optimizing my car to run Optima or SCCA style events. Doing so would require taking off much of my aero in favor of more rules compliant parts.

I'm just curious if anyone here runs these types of events and how do you like them versus just running road courses or autoX?

(And yes, my sweet rear wang would be up for grabs...especially if you have a shadow black trunk to trade)
IMG_7230.JPG
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Subscribed for the wing! PM me price when you're ready. I don't have a black truck lid.

Personally, while I hope to one day attempt Optima, it's just not hugely appealing to me. SCCA or NASA events for classed "racing" or "time trials" is a better place to head, IMHO.

OP
OP

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I like the limitations, varied event format, and the D&E portion of Optima. If I were to head towards NASA class racing I'd end up with a race car. If I stay in a format that requires you to maintain street car status, I end up with a win win for me.

I'll get with you about the wing;). Trunk would be nice, but not required.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Optima is just so "sponsor-ridden" but somehow isn't really "less expensive" for the participant, especially when you factor in that they only go to a very limited set of tracks. That annoys me. Plus the winning cars are often beyond what I'd class as a "street car" including cars that have Time Attack records at various tracks. It's a cool format, I'll say.

I feel like class restrictions in SCCA / NASA are great entertainment as a driver (because it becomes more about the driver) and also are far more interesting to watch (to me, anyway). I like hearing the stories from those events because they involve "what the driver did" as opposed to "my wing was so downforce today, bro!". I learn a lot of theory from guys that do that kind of stuff. Also, people in each class seem to know each other "better" than your average HPDE group of people might know each other. From what I've seen anyway...

I'm just not past HPDE. Only been doing it in this car for less than a year. You on the other hand... haha.

OP
OP

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
Optima is just so "sponsor-ridden" but somehow isn't really "less expensive" for the participant, especially when you factor in that they only go to a very limited set of tracks. That annoys me. Plus the winning cars are often beyond what I'd class as a "street car" including cars that have Time Attack records at various tracks. It's a cool format, I'll say.

I feel like class restrictions in SCCA / NASA are great entertainment as a driver (because it becomes more about the driver) and also are far more interesting to watch (to me, anyway). I like hearing the stories from those events because they involve "what the driver did" as opposed to "my wing was so downforce today, bro!". I learn a lot of theory from guys that do that kind of stuff. Also, people in each class seem to know each other "better" than your average HPDE group of people might know each other. From what I've seen anyway...

I'm just not past HPDE. Only been doing it in this car for less than a year. You on the other hand... haha.
I guess it depends on your expectations. I mainly want to do the OUSC as an opportunity to show off some cool ideas:D It will also keep me relatively constrained class wise for SCCA events I want to do as well as keep me in a fun car to HPDE in. I still want to do HPDE but I also want to spread my wings a bit. I don't expect to be competitive in Optima. Most cars are running considerably more power. I know someone personally who runs and his car is very much a street car yet he recently got a W and invite to Vegas. I'd likely only do NOLA and PPIR. But yeah, I totally get what you are saying, you have to bring some bucks to be at the top of the game. I just want to play, lol.

I'm also constrained by my desire to keep my car a fun an enjoyable street car that I can cross country in without second thought. (A real ultimate street car). If I stay on my current path I fear I will end up with a TT car, since HPDE doesn't have rules to keep me in check with my mods. I need to class this thing and keep myself in check:lol:

Sponsored

LSU Mech Eng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Howdy Hig,

I've run two Optima events in my S550 and had a blast at both. Interestingly, they were the two you were interested in, PPIR (last weekend) and NOLA back in April. My car has some minor power mods (CAT, LTH, catback & tune) and suspension work, but nothing fancy. If you are halfway decent at AutoX / Time Trials you can be quite competitive in the performance aspects.

I finished 8th in class at NOLA (6th AutoX & TT, 9th Speed Stop, and 23rd overall in D&E) and 9th in class at PPIR (6th AutoX & TT, 8th Speed Stop, and 70th overall in D&E). Design & Engineering is the subjective bit and I score "ok" in that but I would never win an event because of it. And ya know what? Who cares. The event format is a hoot.

If you get a chance, go for it. But, be warned that the only thing you would really be restricted on with your car is the aero. And you could just remove the rear wing and be fine. Mike Maeir ran his blue s550 with his TT wing mounts still on the rear deck lid and eye didn't penalize him too much. Splitters are legal as long as you have ground clearance.

I haven't run a targa yet, but I run SCCA Club Trials that uses AutoX classing. That's a lot of fun. I run SCCA in STP or CAMC depending on the number of folks registered for the event.

Have fun and hope to see you at an event sometime in he future!

Oh, this is my car:
IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

OP
OP

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
Howdy Hig,

I've run two Optima events in my S550 and had a blast at both. Interestingly, they were the two you were interested in, PPIR (last weekend) and NOLA back in April. My car has some minor power mods (CAT, LTH, catback & tune) and suspension work, but nothing fancy. If you are halfway decent at AutoX / Time Trials you can be quite competitive in the performance aspects.

I finished 8th in class at NOLA (6th AutoX & TT, 9th Speed Stop, and 23rd overall in D&E) and 9th in class at PPIR (6th AutoX & TT, 8th Speed Stop, and 70th overall in D&E). Design & Engineering is the subjective bit and I score "ok" in that but I would never win an event because of it. And ya know what? Who cares. The event format is a hoot.

If you get a chance, go for it. But, be warned that the only thing you would really be restricted on with your car is the aero. And you could just remove the rear wing and be fine. Mike Maeir ran his blue s550 with his TT wing mounts still on the rear deck lid and eye didn't penalize him too much. Splitters are legal as long as you have ground clearance.

I haven't run a targa yet, but I run SCCA Club Trials that uses AutoX classing. That's a lot of fun. I run SCCA in STP or CAMC depending on the number of folks registered for the event.

Have fun and hope to see you at an event sometime in he future!

Oh, this is my car:
IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg
Thanks, that's the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I've talked to Jonathan Blevins about it a few times, just wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I'll be running a CAMC legal car most likely and will drop the big aero for sure. I've read the rules a few times now and have gone over the score sheets and it looks like a really fun/dynamic event.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
[MENTION=17656]higdominator[/MENTION] I might be interested in the trunk swap, have a black car. PM me.

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
The lack of actual track time was a turn-off for me. For the price, I can get much more track time with a DE or time attack group. If you are into the speed-stop, auto-x, and design/engineering portions of the event, then it should be a lot of fun for you.

Even though I have one (2 if you get invited) events in my town, I have chose not to participate so far. They even made it cost prohibitive to spectators at the last one I attended, $50 to get in and watch for 1 day! :(

Good / Cool exposure if you want to get on TV or want to show off a new company/product.

But for me, I just want to drive on the track, hope for the fastest time, and don't care what one or 2 people think about how good or "track worthy" my car looks. Also I'm cheap-as-F@!k LOL so I want the most bang for my buck.
Sponsored