Sponsored

Anyone follow professional bodybuilding?

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Just curious if anyone here follows the sport, I know its not mainstream enough for more people to follow.

Anyone going to the Arnold Classic next month? Heard its gonna be a pretty stacked lineup.

Olympia?
Sponsored

Pnasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Ruby
Pro bodybuilding is an absolute freak show now. bring back the golden era and classic aesthetics. this is coming from a 21 year old by the way

OP
OP
Tamadrummer88

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Pro bodybuilding is an absolute freak show now. bring back the golden era and classic aesthetics. this is coming from a 21 year old by the way
The golden era was awesome. Sure there was still some PED use as there is today but still a lot of it was diet and hard work. Today its all chemical warfare as well as some new drugs not used back then (HGH, growth, insulin, etc.)

The Late 80's/ early 90's was excellent. Its when the Ronnie Coleman era came along that bodybuilding turned into a freak show. Guys just getting bigger and bigger to see who can outmass who.

TurboMetal

Deadlift or Die.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 5.0
I kinda do, but I'm more into powerlifting. Bodybuilding is too subjective and more about mass than aesthetics.
I would like to go to the Arnold but my work schedule never lines up right for it.
My fav bodybuilder is Evan Centopani and fav powerlifter is Dan Green.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
More into power, but I check out bodybuilding occasionally. Yeah, long gone are the days of the "athletic" build. Now we get keg stomachs and as much mass as possible.

Steroids were extremely prevalent even 50-60 years. Dbol was a huge hit back then. Now though, it's take 10 different compounds, like T said HGH, insulin, etc.

Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
I have followed bodybuilding since the gym bug hit me at 17 years old, over 10 years ago.

Like most young lifters I bought all the magazines and supplements, and really enjoyed following the sport.

I think I still have over a dozen Battle for the Olympia DVD's in my attic.

Nowadays i'm more interested in golf and fast cars. I still train hard at the gym and take an arsenal of supplements, but don't follow the bodybuilding scene anywhere near as much. As I got older I saw the sport for what it really is... a lot of drugs.... and I lost interest.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
I'm going to live stream the Arnold this year to chec out the freaks.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP

Sponsored

Sikksohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 gt premium pp
Yup I'm pretty excited, one of three people in my class from the USA!
image.png

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
The golden era was awesome. Sure there was still some PED use as there is today but still a lot of it was diet and hard work. Today its all chemical warfare as well as some new drugs not used back then (HGH, growth, insulin, etc.)
The Late 80's/ early 90's was excellent. Its when the Ronnie Coleman era came along that bodybuilding turned into a freak show. Guys just getting bigger and bigger to see who can outmass who.
I used to follow it very closely back in the day, in the 90's and early 2000's. Still workout, but don't really follow the competitions or read the magazines/online. Never did competition or anything, just love working out.
Some of my favorites from back in the day were, of course, Arnold, Dorian Yates, Ronnie Coleman, Mike Mentzer, and Kevin Levrone.
Ever watch Dorian Yate's dvd, 'Blood And Guts'? Awesome stuff. :thumbsup:

TurboMetal

Deadlift or Die.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 5.0
Yup I'm pretty excited, one of three people in my class from the USA!
Holy crap a fellow Buffalonian, thought I was the only one here!
Good luck at the Arnold!

Sikksohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 gt premium pp
Holy crap a fellow Buffalonian, thought I was the only one here!
Good luck at the Arnold!
Thanks! We should meet up for a cruise once the weather warms up of course. It'd be nice to get to know more local mustangs

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I started following IFBB back in the late 90's and lost interest in it over the last few years. I use to be a religious reader of Muscle and Fitness and Flex but half of those magazines are adds for supplements or other bullshit, and the other half is repeating training advice that I swear they have on a 4 month cycle. January issue: Big arms in 4 moves!...then in July: Big Arms, get results now!

Anywho, I started taking an interest in clean shows, no drugs allowed and heavily tested. While it's certainly impressive that guys like Ronnie Coleman, Kai Greene, and Jay Cutler can get super huge, it's become a caricature of itself. The only saving grace of the Arnold and Olympia is they've started including Fitness classes for men and women who aren't on 500mg of 'roids every day.
Sponsored