Anybody seen the LA news today?

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
The infrastructure needs to be in place to support them before they remove the current sources of fueling vehicles. Make before break, it's simple.
But that part IS political LOL. Lobbyists and Politicians dictate what infrastructure money is spent on. No infrastructure because nobody is really pushing to make it happen. Once you start having more affluent and powerful people (and lobby groups) advocating for the charging stations you will see things do an about face PDQ.
Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
But that part IS political LOL. Lobbyists and Politicians dictate what infrastructure money is spent on. No infrastructure because nobody is really pushing to make it happen. Once you start having more affluent and powerful people (and lobby groups) advocating for the charging stations you will see things do an about face PDQ.
I guess the Big Guy hasn’t got his 10% yet. Once the charging station companies remember to take care of that we’ll get this EV thing taken care of!

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Yes Sir! If you guys wanna see an interesting real-world journey with the EV's check out "Long Way Up" with Ewan McGregor and his buddy taking Electric Harleys (and RIVIAN trucks) from the tip of South America up to LA.

Needless to say, the world is not ready! Need to get the big Tech Dollars out there pushing for these things to be installed.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Hello; I went back and did an edit in my previous post #132 to make my comment more correct after finding out new information.
Good lord man, who cares about what happened 13 years ago at this point. Totally irrelevant. We have enough issues dealing with the here and now as well as the future. Time to move on!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
All this green crap is just that. A lot of the electricity is made from coal fired power plants. The lithium ion batteries will wind up in the landfill, so how is all of this green?
Well coal is on its last legs so I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. Personally I'm hoping Nuclear can make a come back. There has been a ton of advancement in the technology is the recent years. Perfect, no as nothing is, but it is a viable alternative.

As far as batteries, both car and battery manufacturers are spending billions on coming up with ways to recycle them. But If you are really concerned about them maybe we should address all of the millions of current mobile devices out there. Far more batteries today than there will be from EV's in the next decade or two.

But it's still a great conversation. It seems that for every argument against there is at least one for. :like:

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Well coal is on its last legs so I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. Personally I'm hoping Nuclear can make a come back. There has been a ton of advancement in the technology is the recent years. Perfect, no as nothing is, but it is a viable alternative.

As far as batteries, both car and battery manufacturers are spending billions on coming up with ways to recycle them. But If you are really concerned about them maybe we should address all of the millions of current mobile devices out there. Far more batteries today than there will be from EV's in the next decade or two.

But it's still a great conversation. It seems that for every argument against there is at least one for. :like:
E-waste is a YUUUGE problem! Not just cell phones from the last 30 years, but all the other electronic items made with non decomposing hard metals that will eventually leak into our water supplies, if they haven’t already.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Good lord man, who cares about what happened 13 years ago at this point. Totally irrelevant. We have enough issues dealing with the here and now as well as the future. Time to move on!
Hello; A saying goes something like this. Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it. By the way 13 years ago is not yet history. How you may ask? Because the monies spent then were added to the national debt. Also because in the years prior and all years since have been deficit spending years. Meaning more is obligated to be spent than is taken in as income.
The only monies spent concerning the national debt is are the interest payments. ZERO to reduce the outstanding principal owed.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Hello; Yes, EV's are not affordable. It seems the policies of the "green" crowd are to manage to get the cost of fossil fuels high enough to even the playing field. They have made a good start. I had hoped the EV development would be like the advance of technology in things such as computers. I forget the term just now for the rapid advance of computing power. That has not happened yet.
It seems the battery tech is not advancing very fast. A big jump with lithium ion batteries but not much advancement in range or reduced cost.
I am old enough to recall a before lasers time. A time when lasers were rare and i only saw them in labs. Now for decades they are everywhere. CD players. DVD players. Cash register scanners and more.

The subsidies from various governments add to the deficit spending and fix it so even non EV owners get to help pay for them. So another artificial tactic to pretend the affordability of EV's are better. Her is a test I have found. I have been looking to get a rider mower the last two years. The gasoline type are starting to be available again. I can get a gas rider for around $2K while an electric is $4-5K often without a full set of batteries.
Even with fuel at todays prices it will take a while to break even. When you do start to break even there is the need to replace batteries. I have run Li-ion battery power tools for a time now and have had some batteries fail. Not many yet, but some.
Li-Ion batteries have gotten WAY better since their inception. It's honestly incredible. Just look at the average power tools now. They have so much power and last so long compared to the 90's when they were complete dogshit, and you couldn't do hardly anything without compressed air.

The modern EV is fairly impressive, 300 mile range isn't that difficult to achieve which is more than my Mustang gets on a tank.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Li-Ion batteries have gotten WAY better since their inception. It's honestly incredible. Just look at the average power tools now. They have so much power and last so long compared to the 90's when they were complete dogshit, and you couldn't do hardly anything without compressed air.

The modern EV is fairly impressive, 300 mile range isn't that difficult to achieve which is more than my Mustang gets on a tank.
Hello; The first cordless hand tools I used Ni-cad type batteries. (Nickle-cadmium) They had issues to be sure. They were eventually replaced with other sorts and the Li-Ion is top dog so far. Decent shelf life for holding a charge and not such a steep decline as the number of recharges add up.
I have converted almost all my things that use AA, AAA, C, D and 9volt batteries to the rechargeable sort. Been using those for well over 12 years. I have had a few of these batteries start to have problems over time. Not too many have failed but some of the older ones do not charge up as full as before.

I guess 300 miles is decent. My 2001 Sentra still averages around 35 MPG overall (around town & highway combined) I think it has a 13 gallon tank so that get me a 455 mile range. I did some checking recently to see where EV's stand on range. The least expensive seems to be the Nissan LEAF currently but the base model has something like 180 mile range if memory serves. The article recommends paying extra for a larger battery pack to get more range. I will need to look these numbers up to be more exact. I think the better battery pack in several thousand dollars more. Main point I took from the article is to get the best range costs a lot more to buy the vehicle.

EDIT - The 14 Best Electric Vehicles in 2022 - RateGenius

In this article the cheapest Leaf has about a 148 mile range.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Everyone agrees that our power grids need to be rebuilt as soon as possible. Although for now and in the short term EV’s are adding very little to the overall usage it will continue to grow.

The fact that a large part of the cost burden will fall on consumers should not be a surprise to anyone. Who else is going to pay for it?
Hello; Not sure everyone agrees the grid needs to be rebuilt as soon as possible. A lot of us will be for a gradual improvement in the grid if it saves us money. Other than the push to electrify everything including transportation these is no need for an emergency or all in effort to beef up the grid.
There are places where the grid has problems handling the regular loads already. So yes those places need and improved grid even before the added loads of EV's and other new loads are added.

The implication that the extremely expensive and immediate changes needed for the grid are normal seems misleading. To power the proposed switch over from ICE to all EV and all electric heat will be adding a burden is the reason behind the need for much of the push to build up the electric grid. It is not a natural evolution of demand driven by consumer choice, but rather an artificial policy change with one of the results being the grid will have to have very expensive improvements.
So we get to pay more at the pump due to inflation partly due to massive government printing of money resulting in huge national debt and restrictive oil/natural gas policies. We also get to pay extra taxes for the purchase incentives attached to the EV's. Now we will get the bill for the massive cost to upgrade the grid because of "green" policy against fossil fuels and pro for EV and the like. That we consumers get the bill is no surprise.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Not sure everyone agrees the grid needs to be rebuilt as soon as possible. A lot of us will be for a gradual improvement in the grid if it saves us money. Other than the push to electrify everything including transportation these is no need for an emergency or all in effort to beef up the grid.
There are parts of the grid that need to be upgraded immediately (Texas), others can plan out upgrades as needed. The cost will be the cost. I do not thing there is such a thing as "saving money" where utilities are concerned.

but rather an artificial policy change with one of the results being the grid will have to have very expensive improvements.
Again with the "policy change". Is it possible for you to write a post without injecting your political views into it. The shift away from fossil fuel has been in the making for almost 50 years. Every administration makes changes. Some good, some not so good. But your instance to bring this up in every post is redundant and, quite franking annoying. Try sticking to cars.

So we get to pay more at the pump due to inflation partly due to massive government printing of money resulting in huge national debt and restrictive oil/natural gas policies.
See what I mean? You just love to ramble. Same crap, different post.

Now we will get the bill for the massive cost to upgrade the grid because of "green" policy against fossil fuels and pro for EV and the like.
You are a broken record. Good enjoy your 21 year old Nissan.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
People also ask

What is the median income in the US 2020?

$67,521

Median household income was $67,521 in 2020, a decrease of 2.9 percent from the 2019 median of $69,560 (Figure 1 and Table A-1). This is the first statistically significant decline in median household income since 2011.Sep 14, 2021

People also ask

What is the price of the average electric car?

The average transaction price for an electric vehicle is $62,876, according to January 2022 Kelley Blue Book data. That is about $15,000 higher than the overall industry average of $46,404, which includes gasoline-powered vehicles, hybrids and EVs.Mar 10, 2022

stirring the pot.... uh-oh
Sponsored