Sponsored

Any problem with mixing ...

stretch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F150
... speed ratings and load ranges of the same tire front to rear to get the sizes I want?
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
As long as they aren't widely different it shouldn't be a problem. Even OEM's mix the ratings since they don't manufacture the tires.

KGrGunMan

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
As long as you don't exceed either the speed rating or the load rating for the tire, I don't see it being a real problem.

That said, clearly, different size tires will perform differently. Lose grip at different times and so on.

OP
OP

stretch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F150
I plan to replace the OEM tires and wheels on a new Mustang GT coupe with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 all-seasons on staggered aftermarket wheels. My first thought was the same tire sizes as Ford's Performance Pack: 255/40ZR19 on the front and 275/40ZR19 on the rear. The 255/40ZR19 Michelins, however, are a bit shorter than the OEM P Zero's; and the 275/40ZR19 Michelins are a bit taller. In the Performance Pack sizes, the rears will be 0.7-inch taller than the fronts. Both pairs are speed-rated Y with the XL load range.

265/40ZR19's on the front would reduce the gap to 0.4-inch but that size of the same tire is speed-rated W with the SL load range. Thoughts?

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
I would say you should always stick to the same brand and model tire on all four wheels. Mixing sizes is common; load ratings typically but not always depend on the tires size and construction. Obviously emergencies you do what you have to. Tires and the way they interact with the ground is absolutely the most important thing in terms of car handling and safety.
Sponsored