Sponsored

Any dyno graphs with Comp cr Stg 3 cams?

ZanarkO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2000 C5, 2006 Eclipse GT, 2003 Evo 8
Any ideas of how much of an increase the cams would do with a stock intake manifold and stock headers? I'm looking at this as a bang for buck mod, it seems to be advertised that with the stage 3 cams the S550 can gain up to 30-40whp, that seems to be a much better increase compared to headers. I'm assuming that the stock headers would be able to flow "fine" but not optimal. Truth be told if you are mechanicly inclined (as I am) and also able to tune your own car (like I can) seems it would be a better bang for buck just to do a set of cams, catback and a JLT intake and possibly hit 450whp on 93. Thoughts opinions? Am I dreaming? Also might I mention it seems as if the GT350 stock headers are very similar to the GT stock headers.
Sponsored

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4

ZanarkO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the tq seems to still drop off hard with that intake only cam, honestly ide pass on those.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Kahboom has a good option. L&M Engines will be researched for a while as I too believe the stock header's are good enough. A mild cam giving 450 rwhp is all the performance I'll ever need in the twisty's or on track. Keeping my wheels 18" and 40 profile help the rear gear, stop putting 20's on these pony cars!

ZanarkO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kahboom has a good option. L&M Engines will be researched for a while as I too believe the stock header's are good enough. A mild cam giving 450 rwhp is all the performance I'll ever need in the twisty's or on track. Keeping my wheels 18" and 40 profile help the rear gear, stop putting 20's on these pony cars!
My thoughts exactly, I have yet to see any huge gains from changing headers and the volume increase is too loud. Essentially a catback and an intake and cams would cost around 3 grand ish if you install yourself. if you can achieve 450whp on 93 that's all anyone needs. Ide rather have a quiet car and spend 1500 on cams than 1400 on headers.Also stock injectors should support 450 on 93.

Sponsored

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
ZanarkO The TQ on the intake only cams does not drop off. There is no loss on the entire power band only gains power, same lift, increased duration. A few members have added headers and x or h pipes and kept the stock mufflers and its not crazy load, stock mufflers are pretty good for keeping the sound down.

16MustangVet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang 5.0
Id cry if i was only gaining 30-40hp on cams. Either them s3 cams suck or the tuning does. The SVT threads and JPC have got 70-90hp with cams.

Read this thread and posts by SmokGreyHatch

https://www.svtperformance. com/forums/threads/cobra-jet-cams-or-comp-cams.957208/

(remove the space before com ^^^^)

And this thread is old prior to S550 engines

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
Id cry if i was only gaining 30-40hp on cams. Either them s3 cams suck or the tuning does. The SVT threads and JPC have got 70-90hp with cams.

Read this thread and posts by SmokGreyHatch

https://www.svtperformance. com/forums/threads/cobra-jet-cams-or-comp-cams.957208/

(remove the space before com ^^^^)

And this thread is old prior to S550 engines
me too. I picked up over 40 RWHP with VT Stage II cams on my 2004 GT back in 2005. Its an expensive mod.

16MustangVet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang 5.0
if people are only gaining 30-40 hp on Comp S3 cams the timings tables must not be very agressive or something. I know with the 2015 and newer engines they dont need to use the phase limiters too.

If AED and RBS550 for example are in the 10s NA with just bolt ons Id love to see a ported heads custom cams NA car with spray dip into the 9s

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly

Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I definitely have cams on my short list, but I agree. I'd need and want to see more than 35 peak HP gained for the trouble.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
if people are only gaining 30-40 hp on Comp S3 cams the timings tables must not be very agressive or something. I know with the 2015 and newer engines they dont need to use the phase limiters too.

If AED and RBS550 for example are in the 10s NA with just bolt ons Id love to see a ported heads custom cams NA car with spray dip into the 9s
Cams have never been massive power gainers on mod motors since the 3V's. That being said keep in mind that the peak gains on S3's come with low and midrange loss.

16MustangVet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang 5.0
Cams have never been massive power gainers on mod motors since the 3V's. That being said keep in mind that the peak gains on S3's come with low and midrange loss.
im trying to get away from this i dont see or understand why some are so low. read the svtperformance link i posted above.

30-40hp gains from cams is horrendous.

also as mentioned before the 2015 and newer can get away with "some" cams and still be able to use the cam phasing without locking them or using limiters.

I feel that a huge amount of the i dare say misinformation is because honestly not many people put cams in.

The lack of people doing it should not = dismal gains.

edit also i hope you are not comparing a 3v to a coyote...... they are very different and respond vastly different to mods aswell.

ohh edit x2 the mid range low and mid range losses i find hard to believe as well because when doing cams alot of people get rid of the factory intake with the charge motion plates.

Id LOVE to see someone use aftermarket cams and KEEP the oem S550 intake. Id be willing to bet by keeping the charge motion plates would be a huge factor in restoring the so called low and mid range losses.

Last edited:

ZanarkO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't see how you guys think a 40whp gain is low for a set of cams compared to stock. cam installs are relatively easy on a timing chain motor and for the cost I think it's a huge benefit. Considering these coyotes love to rev the slight "loss" down low would be negligible on a drag strip or road course. I still think this is a much better bang for buck then a header swap. Also I may look into headers with stock axle backs as far as sound is concerned. My main point was for the price I don't see the need for headers. To be honest if a cam and intake car with a tune can make 450whp on 93, ide be happy. that's two grand invested (if you can install and tune the car yourself) I already have hp tuners for my vette so I'm not including the initial 500 cost of tuning, since all mods need tuning. I think people get caught up in "mod paths" to be honest 850 bucks for just the intake cams from l and m seem like a great increase for money invested

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
im trying to get away from this i dont see or understand why some are so low. read the svtperformance link i posted above.

30-40hp gains from cams is horrendous.

also as mentioned before the 2015 and newer can get away with "some" cams and still be able to use the cam phasing without locking them or using limiters.

I feel that a huge amount of the i dare say misinformation is because honestly not many people put cams in.

The lack of people doing it should not = dismal gains.

edit also i hope you are not comparing a 3v to a coyote...... they are very different and respond vastly different to mods aswell.

ohh edit x2 the mid range low and mid range losses i find hard to believe as well because when doing cams alot of people get rid of the factory intake with the charge motion plates.

Id LOVE to see someone use aftermarket cams and KEEP the oem S550 intake. Id be willing to bet by keeping the charge motion plates would be a huge factor in restoring the so called low and mid range losses.
I am well aware of the differences between the 3V and the Coyote, don't you worry about that.

Big cams, IE high lift, long duration profiles by their very nature tend to sacrifice low and middle range power for top end gains..it's simple mechanical principles and there is only so much that VCT/VVT can do to minimize that. Sometimes the best case scenario, like the LM intake only cams, is to preserve midrange at stock levels and enable the gains on the upper end.

Keep in mind that the Coyote is *intake* cam restricted, the exhaust cams are very well designed to maintain torque and power, thus why that set above only replaces the intakes.
Sponsored