Sponsored

Any Current Ecoboost Owners Test Driven the 2020 High Performance Ecoboost?

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
I have a 2016 Mustang Ecoboost Manual with the Premium Package. It’s been a reliable car and I prefer the Ecoboost over the V8 bc of the fuel economy.

I’ve put some miles on my current Mustang, so with that being said, I’m incredibly tempted by the 2020 Ecoboost High Performance Package. Anyone with the current Ecoboost test driven one?
Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
2020 HPP is a more of a complete package and has allowed Ford (Performance) to tune the 2.3hipo & HPP options together. Immediately noticeable, when driving the two EB models back-to-back. The RS engine is more free to rev and explore higher pull range. I am sure a dyno chart will reveal the 2.3hpo engine similar to that of the ones people are getting with the upgraded turbo + tune on the older models.

To me, it felt like driving a tuned ecoboost and better around town, than the v8..

Due to my test drive, I will be ordering one this winter (unless a SVO is announced). I plan to use a conservative 93 tune, which will give me about 400ft-lbs of thrust. Then carbon fiber drive shaft, & other destressing bits, etc..

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
To me, it felt like driving a tuned ecoboost and better around town, than the v8..
Thats a bold statement. in what ways?

2018Creamsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury GT Premium Vert
Thats a bold statement. in what ways?
My guess would be the V8s gutlessness off the line. Turbo motors feel a lot better down low and are a lot of fun squirting around traffic around town. The wife’s Ecoboost Flex pushes you back in the seat a lot harder than our 18 GT from a stop. It’s my #1 gripe and makes me really miss my SHO. I really miss that shove in the back from a dig. Kinda curious to drive the the new HPP Ecoboost myself.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
My guess would be the V8s gutlessness off the line. Turbo motors feel a lot better down low and are a lot of fun squirting around traffic around town. The wife’s Ecoboost Flex pushes you back in the seat a lot harder than our 18 GT from a stop. It’s my #1 gripe and makes me really miss my SHO. I really miss that shove in the back from a dig. Kinda curious to drive the the new HPP Ecoboost myself.
my 2018 PP A10 is anything but gutless off the line. anytime someone wants to run 60-100 ft races with my stock GT and your HPP ecoboost well i'm your Huckleberry

Sponsored

2018Creamsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would bet anything the Ecoboost would take a GT off the line initially unless the GT was prepared and could powerbrake. Once you get past the first second, the v8 would annihilate it, though. Problem is, most around town stuff is not planned and only lasts a couple seconds. My SHO would embarrass our 18 GT A10 stoplight to stoplight. If you just floor the A10 GTs they do pretty much nothing for a split second that seems like an eternity when you’re getting your ass handed to you by a challenger. Lol

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
I would bet anything the Ecoboost would take a GT off the line initially unless the GT was prepared and could powerbrake. Once you get past the first second, the v8 would annihilate it, though. Problem is, most around town stuff is not planned and only lasts a couple seconds. My SHO would embarrass our 18 GT A10 stoplight to stoplight. If you just floor the A10 GTs they do pretty much nothing for a split second that seems like an eternity when you’re getting your ass handed to you by a challenger. Lol
well I disagree with your assessment of the 18 GT off the line but then again I own a PP with A10 and not a convertible which is heavier. the Challenger Scatpack does feel stronger off the line but that can lead to traction issues as I experienced with my ScatPack

2018Creamsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well I disagree with your assessment of the 18 GT off the line but then again I own a PP with A10 and not a convertible which is heavier. the Challenger Scatpack does feel stronger off the line but that can lead to traction issues as I experienced with my ScatPack
I’ve never driven a performance pack. Got a smoking deal on a loaded leftover 18 demo, and it’s not a PP unfortunately. Been trying to figure out what to try first to alleviate the gutless feel off the line. Considered going to a 3.55, but I see a lot of drag racers are switching to 3.15s and getting better times, so kinda hesitant to do the swap. Considering an E85 tune and the circle D converter too. What I’d really like to do is ride in cars that have the various mods and see how they feel. If I could be satisfied with the 3.55s I’d rather go that way though since it won’t void the warranty like all the other options. I just want the initial hit off the line that my old 2012 3.73 manual and my SHO had. Got rid of both to make the 18 vert happen for the wife, and she’s really getting sick of my bitching about the performance. Lol

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve never driven a performance pack. Got a smoking deal on a loaded leftover 18 demo, and it’s not a PP unfortunately. Been trying to figure out what to try first to alleviate the gutless feel off the line. Considered going to a 3.55, but I see a lot of drag racers are switching to 3.15s and getting better times, so kinda hesitant to do the swap. Considering an E85 tune and the circle D converter too. What I’d really like to do is ride in cars that have the various mods and see how they feel. If I could be satisfied with the 3.55s I’d rather go that way though since it won’t void the warranty like all the other options. I just want the initial hit off the line that my old 2012 3.73 manual and my SHO had. Got rid of both to make the 18 vert happen for the wife, and she’s really getting sick of my bitching about the performance. Lol
Yes sport+ and drag make all the difference in the world. I ran consistent 4.5 0-60 on pretty beat up country roads when I was stock. Gears are also 3.55. You need a tune that will take care of the need for modes. to be honest you're better off with your current setup due to the weight advantage without pp. With a tune, lock-down the IRS, get some sticky tires and you'd have beast for the strip or street. My gf's son has a sho it didn't stand a chance when I was stock.

Edit: sorry just saw you have a vert. That makes major difference

Last edited:

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Curious to see how people feel about the new Ecoboosts. The hype is real. Seems like all the reviewers have glowing reviews. Really interested in hearing from people who have them.

In fact I think I’ll go test drive both for fun.

Last edited:

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
One just showed up locally but it's an A10 so I can't give it a fair comparison.
Koons, Sterling VA if any DMV locals want to take it for a spin. Take this route to give it a fun little test.
https://goo.gl/maps/EDx958KqBP5zwHJbA

Last edited:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
That initial hit off the line in a Mustang is gearing. A wider tire with more grip plus 3.73 or 4.10 in the rear axle is a good recipe for throwing you in the back seat. The SHO is AWD which contributes to that feeling.

My 4.10s make my Stang a handful sometimes. It'll get off the line with the best of 'em.

2018Creamsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That initial hit off the line in a Mustang is gearing. A wider tire with more grip plus 3.73 or 4.10 in the rear axle is a good recipe for throwing you in the back seat. The SHO is AWD which contributes to that feeling.

My 4.10s make my Stang a handful sometimes. It'll get off the line with the best of 'em.
Yeah, gearing makes a huge difference in feel. My 2012 3.73 manual was a lot more fun to drive than our a10 2018 GT. I know the 18 is faster on paper, but it just doesn’t feel fast to me, and I really don't like it much to be honest. The SHO was a hoot every time you step on the gas. It just jumped off the line with all 4 tires chirping. Probably the most fun car I’ve ever owned. As much as I floored it, though, i doubt it would have lived a long life with the hot tune I was running, and it sucked stock. That was a big part of deciding to sell it and the 2012 S197. Sure miss it though. At least the wife enjoys the 18 vert. Bet those 4.10s are a real kick.

Reactions: Ebm

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2