Sponsored

Any avid bikers plan on getting a hitch receiver?

steven1955

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
EB competition orange convertible
In case anyone is interested, Autoanything currently has the Curt 11405 receiver hitch for $167.99, plus free shipping for orders over $99. Enter the promo code MOD20 in March to get another 20% off. I just ordered mine and it cost me $134.99.

http://www.autoanything.com/towing/73A3874A0A0.aspx

I don't know if I'll ever tow a small trailer because I really wanted the hitch to mount a bike rack, but I also ordered the Curt p/n 56088 T connector trailer wiring while I could get the free shipping and the 20% off. It's expensive due to the need to be compatible with the Mustang sequential blinkers ($47.99 list at Autoanything), but cost me $38.39 with 20% off promo code.

Crap. This post makes me sound like an advertiser. I'll have to try harder to avoid that in the future.
Sponsored

ITSMEPAUL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Both hitches bolt to the same frame holes. I believe that the round-curved hitch extends slightly farther out from under the rear bumper. I have a square hitch made by Curt and it doesn't extend very far out. It is less obvious that there is a hitch under there.

ITSMEPAUL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
ok..going with the Curt #C11405 below. But I'm stuck on which ball mount to purchase.
The site recommends the # C45520 .
Is that 9 1/4" really optimal with our rear bumper ?

My only other concern is when dealing with a rental trailer from U-Haul. Their site states that the maximum allowable hitch ball height may not exceed 25"
Will this set-up of 3 1/8" rise work with that requirement ?
Total NOOB here when it comes to this topic.

So you understand. My 2016 GT coupe is not set to arrive until next month and I'm ordering a whole wack of things from the states to be delivered to the U.S border with Canada. So I have no measurements to work with.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
It will certainly not go over 25". I would guess it will be about 16". Of course you will also need wiring for the trailer lights. I can sell you my used Curt hitch, drawbar, and wiring for half that price.

Sponsored

ITSMEPAUL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It will certainly not go over 25". I would guess it will be about 16". Of course you will also need wiring for the trailer lights. I can sell you my used Curt hitch, drawbar, and wiring for half that price.
Thanks for the offer but I'll be going the brand new route for this one.

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Wise choice

new, it is pretty sure to have all you need.

And the install of the Curt is a two man job. Trust me, unless you have some serious arms you will welcome the help. And also make sure you have a decent small sledge hammer on hand.

I didn't do the wiring yet(maybe never will) as I only use my hitch for a bike rack. But you will not get close to 25" high with just a 3 1/8" rise. I just went out and measured. 3 1/8" is even with the back up light panel and 25" is at the top of the license plate (stock springs).

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Curt receiver installation...

"And the install of the Curt is a two man job. Trust me, unless you have some serious arms you will welcome the help. And also make sure you have a decent small sledge hammer on hand."

The receiver is bolted on using bolts that are inserted from the frame into the receiver using wire snakes (provided). I would recommend a 'first fit' trial run before snaking the bolts. My receiver had one bolt hole that was a fraction of an inch off matching the frame holes. It took triple the time to install the receiver as I and a friend banged on the receiver to get it to fit. Remember that once you decide to snake the bolts through the frame...you are committed...if a bolt doesn't come through correctly...it will be lost forever within the frame channel.

So... I recommend that you position the receiver up against the frame, then temporarily insert the bolts through the receiver into the frame. All of the bolts should fit...if not...mark that hole on the receiver...remove the bolts and receiver. Drill out a slightly larger hole in the receiver. Try again...if all the bolts fit through the receiver into the frame...you are ready to install it.

ITSMEPAUL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Oh I'm listening... Going to get my teenage son to help when the time comes and knowing how their attention span is. I can't afford screw ups and delays.

Sponsored

Mike A.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
Got a new Stumpy FSR Elite 650B, it is no fun to put in the trunk so I ordered a receiver hitch so I can start using my 1UPUSA rack again. I'm curious how bad having a mtb bike in the wind kills the highway mileage. My last car was a GTI so the bike was mostly out of the wind with that car.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

steven1955

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Here's a pic of my almost new 1up rack with bike on my 16 convertible with a Curt receiver.

I can't believe I spent as much for a rack as I did, but now that I have the 1up I can't believe how easy it is to load and unload the bike. Just like the Mustang, it was money well spent.

OP
OP
JohnDoe

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
Here's a pic of my almost new 1up rack with bike on my 16 convertible with a Curt receiver.

I can't believe I spent as much for a rack as I did, but now that I have the 1up I can't believe how easy it is to load and unload the bike. Just like the Mustang, it was money well spent.
LOOKS GREAT!

steven1955

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I thought I'd give a couple more words of warning about installation of the Curt receiver:

1. Make sure the bolts with the fish wires on them fit through the holes in the receiver.
Not even one of my eight bolts would fit through any of the holes in my receiver with the fish wires installed.

2. Put the back up plates on the bolts before you install the fish wires on the bolts.
My instructions said to put the fish wires on the bolts then slide the back up plates on to the fish wires. In my case not one of my eight back up plates had holes large enough for any of the bolts with fish wires to pass through. It is trickier to get the bolts with back up plates already on them through the holes in the Mustang's frame, but it can be done.