• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Anti-rust treatment Mustang S650

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
It's my belief it has more to do with protection against salt and the elements of a new car during shipment overseas than the environment the vehicle will ultimately live in.

The sea air itself is humid and holds a higher salt content. Foggy and unsettled days, more still. A quick transit time from US East Coast to EUR West Coast is two weeks, but some shipments might take more than a month. The Middle East and other destinations, longer still. West Coast US to Pacific, 30 days plus.

After the car leaves the factory and before being placed on the ship, each car is coated. Some are covered OK. Others, the application is without care and sometimes done quite heavily.

I'm not familiar with other manufacturers and if they have their cars coated.

Around the 4:50 mark, you'll see the coating being applied. This video is old, but one example.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Done hot tarred the bottom of the car.

Mustang1987

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 mustang gt
It's done for protection when shipping the vehicle overseas.

OP
OP

RaceRedder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse HP
It's my belief it has more to do with protection against salt and the elements of a new car during shipment overseas than the environment the vehicle will ultimately live in.

The sea air itself is humid and holds a higher salt content. Foggy and unsettled days, more still. A quick transit time from US East Coast to EUR West Coast is two weeks, but some shipments might take more than a month. The Middle East and other destinations, longer still. West Coast US to Pacific, 30 days plus.

After the car leaves the factory and before being placed on the ship, each car is coated. Some are covered OK. Others, the application is without care and sometimes done quite heavily.

I'm not familiar with other manufacturers and if they have their cars coated.

Around the 4:50 mark, you'll see the coating being applied. This video is old, but one example.

The reason why they get undercoated is because European vehicle laws. In Europe the cars are mandatory coated because of the salt in winter season.

Those Mustangs that are shipped in the video are coated because of the transportation. Those are American spec cars, so probably for islands or countries (nearby).

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
You would think especially the north american cars with the long cold winters and cinders they put on the roads during these potentially 6 months would get the underbody protectionā€¦

OP
OP

RaceRedder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse HP
You would think especially the north american cars with the long cold winters and cinders they put on the roads during these potentially 6 months would get the underbody protectionā€¦
That's exactly why I'm baffled that European Mustangs have a ubdercoating while our Mustangs are left without that treatment.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Donā€™t forget the do-it-yourself version. Old farmers trick. Spray used oil under your vehicle and go for a drive down a dirt road. Not the most eco friendly version but it works.
My dad said when he was a kid, he used to do that with my grandfather on the old cars. They didn't have much money and they lived in a small town in rural Wisconsin so the salt ate away the cars in winter.

I literally thought he was joking until he showed me photos of the cars that were almost 20 years old at the time and were daily driven in harsh salty winters that were darn close to being pretty rust free. šŸ˜³

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
The smart ones that live where it snows/salts park their cars during the winter. When I was young and dumb I drove my new Mustangs/Camaros in the snow but I know better now.

OP
OP

RaceRedder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse HP
The smart ones that live where it snows/salts park their cars during the winter. When I was young and dumb I drove my new Mustangs/Camaros in the snow but I know better now.
In Europe everybody drives his car in the snow. That's what cars are built for. And also that's why the cars over there are treated for. So you can drive in different weather conditions.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
In Europe everybody drives his car in the snow. That's what cars are built for. And also that's why the cars over there are treated for. So you can drive in different weather conditions.
The people that want their car to stay nice still don't do it.

Why the heck would I want to drive something like a Mustang in the snow anyway? It's terrible. Sure, you can get snow tires, but you just plow chunks of snow and ice with your front bumper, slide all around, get snow inside the car from your boots, blah blah

And then once you start modifying it, it's almost pointless to drive in the rain.

Like I said, when I was younger I did it because it was the only car I had, but I'd rather not these days.

I remember all the WRX's people bought when they first came out and drove year round. They are all rusted out in the same spots on the fenders and quarters now.

Kabayo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang
I'm sure the non inclusion of undercoating is simply a cost issue. Less for Ford and less for us.

I'm only aware of 2 kinds of undercoatings (there may be more).

The oil/wax based kind like New Hampshire Oil Undercoating,

https://nhoilundercoating.com/

allegedly cheaper than asphalt based undercoatings; though it is supposed to be retreated annually which would erode the initial application cost advantage )if there is one).

And one time asphalt based undercoatings, such as Ziebart (had my 1994 Firebird Formula Ziebarted back in the day) that are allegedly more expensive.

https://www.ziebart.com/auto-care-services/undercoating/undercoating-services
If youā€™re buying new, most car dealers in rust prone states offer rust proofing to undercoat the car or you can choose Zirbart that undercoats the car as well as the inner parts of the hood, trunk, fenders and doors. In Hawaii, most have gone to electronic rustproofing which works very well.

Wiley Marmot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Prem
If youā€™re buying new, most car dealers in rust prone states offer rust proofing to undercoat the car or you can choose Zirbart that undercoats the car as well as the inner parts of the hood, trunk, fenders and doors. In Hawaii, most have gone to electronic rustproofing which works very well.
Yes; my dealer offers NHOU undercoating. I gave it a pass though as I intend to pull my own oil and filter changes during warmer weather, and install some Steeda Lo Pro jacking rails. NHOU gets pretty good marks for protection, but like others, I prefer to not roll around under a car that's got oily "stuff" all over it. Gotta wonder if there's any oder after they spray it on too?

Last edited:

Kabayo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang
Yes; my dealer offers NHOU undercoating. I gave it a pass though as I intend to pull my own oil and filter changes during warmer weather, and install some Steeda Lo Pro jacking rails. NHOU gets pretty good marks for protection, but like others, I prefer to not roll around under a car that's got oily "stuff" all over it. gotta wonder if there's any order after they spray it on too?
I bought a 2013 Mustang GT when I lived in Hawaii and had it Ziebart rustproofed. When I brought the car in for the work, they let me cover the areas with newspaper like the oil filter area, trans, driveshaft, and differential once the car was on the lift prior to spraying. The car smelled for a few days while the coating was drying then it was not noticeable. The next car I bought there had electric rustproofing which consisted of a small box in the engine bay wired to the battery. It sent a small electric current to everything metal on the car completely stopping any rust from occurring.

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
For the best protection you should use an oil based spray like NHO or the like. If itā€™s maintained yearly the car will never rust.

Tar based sprays will eventually crack and allow moisture behind and cause rusting. You donā€™t want something that hardens and definitely stay away from bed liner coatings for under the car.

Electronic rust prevention gadgets are 50/50 shot and in theory should work but usually donā€™t.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
whatā€™s gonna rust, other than painted parts that get polluted with authorized pollutants?
Sponsored