Abb0nz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Hey Team,

More of a curiosity than anything else but where is the antenna on an S550? I have a base GT without Sirius.

Cheers
Paul
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
If you don't have Sirius, the AM/FM antenna is on the back windshield.
Otherwise there is a little puck towards the rear roof.

OP
OP

Abb0nz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Thanks. No Sirius so no puck. I did look at the rear window but it wasn't obvious which is why I asked.
Thanks again, curiosity satisfied :-)

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Thanks. No Sirius so no puck. I did look at the rear window but it wasn't obvious which is why I asked.
Thanks again, curiosity satisfied :-)
It's just built into the glass along with the heat strips, unless I've totally missed something.

Sponsored

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
I thought the antenna is built into into LED strip above the rear window?

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Look at the gold lines in the rear glass and you will see a group that do not connect into the defroster lines..that's the FM antenna.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I've never understood why the entire car body isn't the antenna. Pick up FM stations from across the universe.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I've never understood why the entire car body isn't the antenna. Pick up FM stations from across the universe.
and an incredible amount of noise from every RF radiating object nearby...

More goes into antenna design than just, "lets add metal to it!"

Polarization[edit]
See also: Polarization (waves) § Antennas
The polarization of an antenna refers to the orientation of the electric field (E-plane) of the radio wave with respect to the Earth's surface and is determined by the physical structure of the antenna and by its orientation; note that this designation is totally distinct from the antenna's directionality. Thus, a simple straight wire antenna will have one polarization when mounted vertically, and a different polarization when mounted horizontally. As a transverse wave, the magnetic field of a radio wave is at right angles to that of the electric field, but by convention, talk of an antenna's "polarization" is understood to refer to the direction of the electric field.

Reflections generally affect polarization. For radio waves, one important reflector is the ionosphere which can change the wave's polarization. Thus for signals received following reflection by the ionosphere (a skywave), a consistent polarization cannot be expected. For line-of-sight communications or ground wave propagation, horizontally or vertically polarized transmissions generally remain in about the same polarization state at the receiving location. Matching the receiving antenna's polarization to that of the transmitter can make a very substantial difference in received signal strength.

Polarization is predictable from an antenna's geometry, although in some cases it is not at all obvious (such as for the quad antenna). An antenna's linear polarization is generally along the direction (as viewed from the receiving location) of the antenna's currents when such a direction can be defined. For instance, a vertical whip antenna or Wi-Fi antenna vertically oriented will transmit and receive in the vertical polarization. Antennas with horizontal elements, such as most rooftop TV antennas in the United States, are horizontally polarized (broadcast TV in the U.S. usually uses horizontal polarization). Even when the antenna system has a vertical orientation, such as an array of horizontal dipole antennas, the polarization is in the horizontal direction corresponding to the current flow. The polarization of a commercial antenna is an essential specification.

Polarization is the sum of the E-plane orientations over time projected onto an imaginary plane perpendicular to the direction of motion of the radio wave. In the most general case, polarization is elliptical, meaning that the polarization of the radio waves varies over time. Two special cases are linear polarization (the ellipse collapses into a line) as we have discussed above, and circular polarization (in which the two axes of the ellipse are equal). In linear polarization the electric field of the radio wave oscillates back and forth along one direction; this can be affected by the mounting of the antenna but usually the desired direction is either horizontal or vertical polarization. In circular polarization, the electric field (and magnetic field) of the radio wave rotates at the radio frequency circularly around the axis of propagation. Circular or elliptically polarized radio waves are designated as right-handed or left-handed using the "thumb in the direction of the propagation" rule. Note that for circular polarization, optical researchers use the opposite right hand rule from the one used by radio engineers.

It is best for the receiving antenna to match the polarization of the transmitted wave for optimum reception. Intermediate matchings will lose some signal strength, but not as much as a complete mismatch. A circularly polarized antenna can be used to equally well match vertical or horizontal linear polarizations. Transmission from a circularly polarized antenna received by a linearly polarized antenna (or vice versa) entails a 3 dB reduction in signal-to-noise ratio as the received power has thereby been cut in half.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Well an antenna needs to be at certain length tuned in to the kind of frequencies you gonna be receiving.
It can't just be a giant metal surface.

Sponsored

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
If you don't have Sirius, the AM/FM antenna is on the back windshield.
Otherwise there is a little puck towards the rear roof.
I think the puck is the GPS antenna for the Nav system. When I added a GPS speedo to my 86, the antenna looks very similar.

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
Speaking of frequencies i need a good place to put an antenna for my bcd536hp.

R3v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT MT & Recaro
Puck must be for GPS since all EU cars have it and there is no Sirius.

Bigc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT S550
Puck must be for GPS since all EU cars have it and there is no Sirius.
I have a 2016 GT with the aerial built-in the back window ,no puck but sat nav works fine
Sponsored