OP
OP
TorqueMan

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
and the war against catch can continues, oh to have so much free time in life to dedicate it to such a noble pursuit of no catch cans on 0 cars in the world by constantly posting on a mustang forum must be great
What's worse, opining about catch cans, opining about someone else opining about catch cans, or opining about someone else opining about someone opining about catch cans?

Maybe it's time for everyone to stop opining around here...
Sponsored

cstewartj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost
What's worse, opining about catch cans, opining about someone else opining about catch cans, or opining about someone else opining about someone opining about catch cans?

Maybe it's time for everyone to stop opining around here...
Then what would we live for!?

Horcy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang eco boost, Zenki S14, Skyline R33 GTST
I should leave it there........... However Ford didn't exclude saftey features from the Australian versions, (at least) the ADR said no to most of them, yes other cars have them blar blar blar. Im a firm believer of those saftey features excluded by the ADR you as the driver should be in control of anyway. Come on, no rear seat belt alarm ffs really? blind sport monitoring coz your too fucking lazy to look over your shoulder. Oh sorry I cut you up but my orange blob on my mirror didnt work and I forgot to check my shoulder. He he. Oh and the kicker the air bag that might cause serious injury to a minor.........and que 10s of thousands of 5 star rated cars with air bags that actually kill you, who would have thought a?. Fuck the haters I for one didn't go into the show room and go so whats the mpg and saftey ratings like........and NEVER will. I said shut up and take my money.

Ps I dont like this guy. He probably wouldn't like me either so no love lost.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I should leave it there........... However Ford didn't exclude saftey features from the Australian versions, (at least) the ADR said no to most of them, yes other cars have them blar blar blar. Im a firm believer of those saftey features excluded by the ADR you as the driver should be in control of anyway. Come on, no rear seat belt alarm ffs really? blind sport monitoring coz your too fucking lazy to look over your shoulder. Oh sorry I cut you up but my orange blob on my mirror didnt work and I forgot to check my shoulder. He he. Oh and the kicker the air bag that might cause serious injury to a minor.........and que 10s of thousands of 5 star rated cars with air bags that actually kill you, who would have thought a?. Fuck the haters I for one didn't go into the show room and go so whats the mpg and saftey ratings like........and NEVER will. I said shut up and take my money.

Ps I dont like this guy. He probably wouldn't like me either so no love lost.
He’s definitely a bit hit and miss.
Recently I watched him demonstrate how to heel/toe whilst DOUBLE clutching...
on a synchromesh transmission.. :crazy:

OP
OP
TorqueMan

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Here's the video:

It's certainly not a necessity to double-clutch with a synchronized manual transmission, especially for everyday driving (something noted early on in the video) but that doesn't mean it's a completely silly idea. Double-clutching makes for smoother shifts in both directions, which is important if you're trying to keep the car balanced through a turn on the race track (hence the title "racing downshift"), and it causes no harm whatsoever to your car. The primary benefit for a manual-transmission Mustang owner would be that it saves wear on the syncros. People install all sorts of crazy stuff on their cars purportedly to prevent future maintenance problems, why not learn a shifting technique that can save wear on the transmission?

Besides, who knows? You may find yourself pining for a classic car someday, one not equipped with modern syncronizers. You would absolutely want to learn this technique to save wear and tear on an older car, and it's far easier to learn using a car equipped with syncros.

In summary, there's no harm, you can save wear on transmission syncros, and it's something fun to learn.

Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Yeah, I double-clutch all the time. Why? Well... why not? It's just fun, to me. :sunglasses:

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
Double clutching is necessary for a smooth two-to-one downshift at anything faster than a dead stop. It's only just for fun otherwise. Truckers still need it and it is a nice skill when driving older cars. You can also develop a better mechanical intuition as a result.

Rev matched downshifts, starting uphill, heel and toeing, double clutching are skills every manual trans driver should work to perfect. You drive the damn car all day and chose the slower transmission (as did I) so take some time to learn how to extract maximum fun from your purchase!

Turn off your hill-holder too while you are at it, you don't need it. I'm not even kidding.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Double clutching is necessary for a smooth two-to-one downshift at anything faster than a dead stop. It's only just for fun otherwise. Truckers still need it and it is a nice skill when driving older cars. You can also develop a better mechanical intuition as a result.

Rev matched downshifts, starting uphill, heel and toeing, double clutching are skills every manual trans driver should work to perfect. You drive the damn car all day and chose the slower transmission (as did I) so take some time to learn how to extract maximum fun from your purchase!

Turn off your hill-holder too while you are at it, you don't need it. I'm not even kidding.
I’m not saying you shouldn’t heel toe.
What I’m saying is that in a modern car with synchros, the reason most of us heel toe is to balance the car under brakes, not to preserve the synchros.
If you’re braking at full capacity, there’s barely even enough time to double clutch in the lower gears. At the same time, if you’re braking at full capacity, the rear end is light as all hell, hence the need to avoid a compression lock up (unless you’re actively trying to rotate the car into the turn).
By all means, if the car doesn’t have synchros or you’re trying to preserve them, double clutch it.
PS, I spend a lot of time in trucks that require double clutching

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
I’m not saying you shouldn’t heel toe.
What I’m saying is that in a modern car with synchros, the reason most of us heel toe is to balance the car under brakes, not to preserve the synchros.
If you’re braking at full capacity, there’s barely even enough time to double clutch in the lower gears. At the same time, if you’re braking at full capacity, the rear end is light as all hell, hence the need to avoid a compression lock up (unless you’re actively trying to rotate the car into the turn).
By all means, if the car doesn’t have synchros or you’re trying to preserve them, double clutch it.
PS, I spend a lot of time in trucks that require double clutching
Double clutching isn't required at all in a Mustang MT. Or any car really. You can ham hand a modern synchromesh into almost any position. But don't you want to be as smooth as you can? Why are we even shifting our cars at all if not to do it the best we can. It's just another way we can enjoy our cars without even being near a racetrack. Like shifting without the clutch or matching revs. You are imagining you are racing LeMans and attempting to minimize gearbox wear. Or are driving like McQueen did in Bullitt. It's fun, man.

For the hell of it try a 2-1 downshift at 30mph without double clutching and you'll feel the problem you're trying to avoid. Double clutching can make that one case butter smooth and that alone is worth the price of admission. Getting it right is a nice feeling.

Heel and toe is just normal driving to me, not difficult, and makes good daily practice for a track - not to be used only on the track. It makes you way smoother on the street too.
Sponsored