Sponsored

Another S550 in the Family!

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
28 years ago my Dad got me into my first mustang (65 289 coupe) and over the weekend, I got to help him find a 2016 S550! Thought I'd share the experience here, along with lessons learned.

He had been thinking about getting a new Mustang every since I got my 15 GT over a year ago. I'd sold him my old 2000 GT many years back, he put some big mods on that car, but never really got it like he wanted. So he was looking to get out of that project car and into a new one.

Since he was in town for a visit anyway, I referred him to the same dealer where I purchased my '15, and met him there after work Friday. Then I found out that everyone I'd ever dealt with at the dealer (after purchasing two mustangs from them over the years) had left! They're under new management, and all the folks I knew and liked decided it was time to retire or move on (I suspect they had good reason).

My Dad had decided on a Ruby Red GT PP, with just about all the options, including Premiere trim. The dealer didn't have one of these on the lot, so it was agreed to order a 2017. And this is about where the deal started to break apart and I learned a lesson or two myself.

The car spec'd out at about $44K. They discounted $4K right off the bat, bringing their offer to $40K. We counter offered $37, hoping to land at $38 or even $39K. But they wouldn't budge another cent. Even though, I had purchased 2 cars from them in the last 5 years, spent loads of $ at the service dept. with other vehicles, AND my Dad was offering CASH.

We were basically hoping for just a bit more off than usual since I was a loyal customer, referred them new business, and we had a cash offer. Had they come down to just 39,500, we probably would've made the deal. But, no dice, so we walked.

Lesson learned: Cash offers don't seem to mean much anymore for new cars, I suppose the dealer still gets paid immediately with a finance deal AND they could more $ off that if you choose to finance with them.

I didn't expect much for customer loyalty, except maybe a willingness to negotiate. Didn't even get that!

But all's well that ends well; My Dad ended up finding the same car, on the lot, at a dealer in East TN, with the more options for $500 less than they were offering. The car he bought has Active cruise and Auto wipers, but is otherwise identical.
Sponsored

Eastpointer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Comp OJ 2015 Ecoboost
Never underestimate the shortsightedness of dealers. Many dont understand basic business principles such as a "fluid inventory" or "loyal customer base".

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
If the car already on the lot then $38k is reasonable, but in your case you have to order the car for $4k thats not bad deal.

I would try another dealer and see what they offer. You can always goes back to the first dealer knowing what they offered.

raceguy13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt pp CO
They actually don't like cash offers because they get a percentage when you finance through them. They will probably treat you the same if you bring your own financing, at least that has been my experience.

StoplightWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 STi, 2016 Camaro SS, 2016 Infiniti QX50
Best to hide the fact you're paying cash until after you've worked all the numbers. Act like your financing it, get em down where you want the price to be, then "decide" to just cut a check. :D

Sponsored

OP
OP

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
Never underestimate the shortsightedness of dealers. Many dont understand basic business principles such as a "fluid inventory" or "loyal customer base".
No doubt. It wasn't really that the offer from the first dealer was that bad, but they should've had some wiggle room on that for a repeat customer. Not to mention, my Pops ended up finding the same car with more options for $500 less.

Agree with some of the comments about paying cash, the dealer would probably rather you finance, as they likely get some commission on that.

RobbieFrazier

Captain Quality
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP DIB; 2022 M1 Prem 700A HP EG
the dealer would probably rather you finance, as they likely get some commission on that.
Dealers typically mark up the interest rate by 1-1.5%. For example, if the bank will finance you at 3.5%, the dealer may mark the rate up to 4.5%. The bank pays them back the difference.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
They took off $4k from MSRP on a 17' that's not even avail yet, and you were disappointed?

Glad your father got a better deal. Nice choice too.

StoplightWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 STi, 2016 Camaro SS, 2016 Infiniti QX50

Sponsored

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Aside from the fact that you're a loyal customer it seems odd that they weren't willing to negotiate further because when you give the lowest price right off the bat, you're just increasing your chances of losing the sale.

When I first started off in sales I was so eager and worried about losing sales that I would usually just blurt out the lowest possible price, only to have everything grind to a halt and lose the sale 9/10 times. I soon figured out that starting off with a higher price lead to more negotiation room, more sales, and ultimately higher commission checks because I was making more sales along with selling at higher prices.

That's why their tactics don't make any sense to me.

OP
OP

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
Aside from the fact that you're a loyal customer it seems odd that they weren't willing to negotiate further because when you give the lowest price right off the bat, you're just increasing your chances of losing the sale.

When I first started off in sales I was so eager and worried about losing sales that I would usually just blurt out the lowest possible price, only to have everything grind to a halt and lose the sale 9/10 times. I soon figured out that starting off with a higher price lead to more negotiation room, more sales, and ultimately higher commission checks because I was making more sales along with selling at higher prices.

That's why their tactics don't make any sense to me.
Precisely this.

Saw the link to the $35K GT_PP posted above too. Seems like premiere trim was the only difference from what my Dad was looking for and our dealer wasn't even close to the price these guys are openly advertising on the internet!

The 2017 order thing was part of their argument on not budging from $40K. Since they didn't know what the invoice or rebates would be. I know there's some credibility to that, but they knew "about" what the invoice would be and "about" what the rebates would be too.

He wanted a 16 but they said he'd have to order a 17, because they couldn't find a dealer anywhere that had a 16 with the options requested. But that wasn't quite right since, he went home and found the Tennesee car on the internet. There wasn't really anything that special about the specs anyway, and he would've been negotiable on some of the options.

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Id be thrilled that they dropped $4k off a car they ordered, you were expecting too much man, as others have said as well, if it was sitting on the lot, thats totally different

OP
OP

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
Id be thrilled that they dropped $4k off a car they ordered, you were expecting too much man, as others have said as well, if it was sitting on the lot, thats totally different
Definitely possible, I admit. But the special order wasn't even necessary as a little research proved, the car my dad was after was around at other dealers.

I bought my 15 from them and it was shipped from a Virginia dealer.
Sponsored