Sponsored

Another engine noise thread

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
so I am wondering about engine noise specially with the 2018 gen 3 coyote. I’m also wondering what differences there are between auto and manual cars. My car has made a noise that to me sounds like severe timing chain noise or maybe even piston slap. It’s done it for well over 2500 miles now and there is no performance loss. Anyway the other day I got to thinking, what if this isn’t engine noise at all. What if this mystery noise is coming from the transmission? Long story short I had the car on a lift the other day with it running and I’m about %95 sure it’s transmission noise. Anyone else experience this? Thoughts and opinions please
Sponsored

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
so I am wondering about engine noise specially with the 2018 gen 3 coyote. I’m also wondering what differences there are between auto and manual cars. My car has made a noise that to me sounds like severe timing chain noise or maybe even piston slap. It’s done it for well over 2500 miles now and there is no performance loss. Anyway the other day I got to thinking, what if this isn’t engine noise at all. What if this mystery noise is coming from the transmission? Long story short I had the car on a lift the other day with it running and I’m about %95 sure it’s transmission noise. Anyone else experience this? Thoughts and opinions please
It a modern car, its changing intake runners,cam timing and fuel pump pressure at 2000 psi and it makes noises ...they don't mean anything but high performance and trying to grab mileage...ignore don't worry ,beat the shit out of it and enjoy

OP
OP
TGGT

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
It a modern car, its changing intake runners,cam timing and fuel pump pressure at 2000 psi and it makes noises ...they don't mean anything but high performance and trying to grab mileage...ignore don't worry ,beat the shit out of it and enjoy
I'm an ASE master tech with 20 years of experiance. I could attribute some noise to di, cam phasers,or what ever. This is deffinetly not any of those things.It could be as simple as a transmission with loose tolerances.I'm not really saying there's anything wrong with the car.It runs great and it runs fast.I'm just wondering if anyone hears these same noises with the a10 cars or if its strictly a six speed thing

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
i'm a10.. I have the rattle and tick,and its by far the nicest car I have ever had.. and I had a slighty modded 2010 Shelby with tremec..made no noises and I had a 14gt with mt82 which I hated but it made no noises whatsoever so i'm stepping out on ideas,..but i'd still beat shit out of it until it got worse :)

OP
OP
TGGT

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
i'm a10.. I have the rattle and tick,and its by far the nicest car I have ever had.. and I had a slighty modded 2010 Shelby with tremec..made no noises and I had a 14gt with mt82 which I hated but it made no noises whatsoever so i'm stepping out on ideas,..but i'd still beat shit out of it until it got worse :)
Thanks for the input. I guess it’s good to know that the a10 cars make noises too. I definitely plan on beating it like it owes me money. If it breaks I’ll throw all the stock parts back on it and take down to the dealer

Sponsored

GritzNGravy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Ive had a weird noise Ive been chasing forever. It sounds a lot like the 18 rattle. Its gotten worse overtime. From inside the car it sounds like the rattle, but outside with a good wall echo its sounds like tranny to me. Gets a lot better when it warms up. Way worse cold. 1st through 3rd make it the worst. Thought maybe a MGW would help out, it made it worse. Tried BG fluid, then had the high rpm grind but it eventually went away and the noise got louder.

Had it on a lift and with out the load on tires noise wasn't as loud, but was coming clearly right from bell housing. Did a compression check and all cylinders above 230psi. Right after I did compression check, the first 18 with cylinder wall damage with baroscope came in so I have not done that yet. Just received oil analysis back from BlackStone labs. All looks good. Way better than normal averages, and I take my car to 7500rpm all the time. I'm gambling on a tranny, bought a Calimer stg1 from VMP. Whenever that gets here, I'm putting it in with new clutch and flywheel. If that don't fix it, then I'm gonna be the first one to boost an engine with the rattle cause all looks good. Just my 2 cents...

OP
OP
TGGT

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Ive had a weird noise Ive been chasing forever. It sounds a lot like the 18 rattle. Its gotten worse overtime. From inside the car it sounds like the rattle, but outside with a good wall echo its sounds like tranny to me. Gets a lot better when it warms up. Way worse cold. 1st through 3rd make it the worst. Thought maybe a MGW would help out, it made it worse. Tried BG fluid, then had the high rpm grind but it eventually went away and the noise got louder.

Had it on a lift and with out the load on tires noise wasn't as loud, but was coming clearly right from bell housing. Did a compression check and all cylinders above 230psi. Right after I did compression check, the first 18 with cylinder wall damage with baroscope came in so I have not done that yet. Just received oil analysis back from BlackStone labs. All looks good. Way better than normal averages, and I take my car to 7500rpm all the time. I'm gambling on a tranny, bought a Calimer stg1 from VMP. Whenever that gets here, I'm putting it in with new clutch and flywheel. If that don't fix it, then I'm gonna be the first one to boost an engine with the rattle cause all looks good. Just my 2 cents...
A lot of good info there. Thanks. I was thinking of trying different transmission fluid, but I don’t want to wind up chasing a ghost, so for now I’m just enjoying the car. If it gets worse I’ll deal with it then I guess

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
A lot of good info there. Thanks. I was thinking of trying different transmission fluid, but I don’t want to wind up chasing a ghost, so for now I’m just enjoying the car. If it gets worse I’ll deal with it then I guess
Are you gonna run a tune?

OP
OP
TGGT

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Are you gonna run a tune?
Yes. I’m currently running a Lund tune for my cobra jet intake manifold and in the next day or two I should be getting an e85 tune from Lund
Sponsored