Sponsored

Amp replacement help

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
Can anyone give me some suggestions on replacing my JL 900/5. I have it driving a Focal 13" sub, and Focal 3 way flax in addition to two rear Focal 6.5" coaxials.

Problem is, horrible radio reception. Really bad, and I know some will say who cares about a radio, but I am past that point, and really need it.

So the shop is willing to credit me for that amp. I am looking for suggestions to replace it. I know the XD amp is a big downgrade so trying not to go there. If I go with two JL HD amps (shop says no static with other JL HD amps), it would cost me a lot more money.....Trying to see what someone can come up with trying to keep the cost relative to what the JL 900/5 cost me (900.00).

Lastly, I am not likinf the Focal 33kx. Just does not hit hard enough for me. Any ideas on the best JL option to replace that would be keeping about 500 watts to it? Thanks in advance. I will eventually get this thing the way I want it.............
Sponsored

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
I'm not a car audio expert by any means but if you want hard hitting bass, does it make more sense to have a dedicated sub amplifier and then a separate 4-way amplifier for the speakers? Just a thought.

This could potentially save you some money in that your sub may be great, it's just not performing great as part of a 5-way arrangement. Maybe a dedicated amp will have it sounding great. Just a thought, especially since you're in this predicament anyway.

As for the radio reception, I only use it to listen to O's games while in the car but I would definitely be annoyed if it killed my reception. That's weird though. Any idea why that amp would be causing that problem while others won't?

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
wait.... how is the amp an issue with radio reception? the JL amp has nothing to do with radio reception. ive been doing car audio since 95 and never once heard of an amp causing reception issues. The amps only play what is sent to them...so if a crappy signal is sent...crappy is gonna come out.

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
wait.... how is the amp an issue with radio reception? the JL amp has nothing to do with radio reception. ive been doing car audio since 95 and never once heard of an amp causing reception issues. The amps only play what is sent to them...so if a crappy signal is sent...crappy is gonna come out.
+1

OP
OP

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
100% it is the amplifier. They have had this before with the JL HD 900/5 amp. And to top it off, I had an SL55 before this with the same JL900/5 (not physically but the same amp) which had the same problem, and at the same time had a GL450 with the SAME amp, and also the SAME radio reception problem. The HD amp apparently puts out some sort of RF signal. I am sure I can find plenty of info on that wit ha search on Google. It is just now with this car that I know it is the amp.

Also, all 3 of my vehicles had rear antennas. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. With the Benz's, I thought it was that antenna amplifier that those vehicles have, but now I know for sure it is this amp. Even the shop who sells JL and many of them said some cars get static, and some don't.

Sponsored

OP
OP

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
I'm not a car audio expert by any means but if you want hard hitting bass, does it make more sense to have a dedicated sub amplifier and then a separate 4-way amplifier for the speakers? Just a thought.

This could potentially save you some money in that your sub may be great, it's just not performing great as part of a 5-way arrangement. Maybe a dedicated amp will have it sounding great. Just a thought, especially since you're in this predicament anyway.

As for the radio reception, I only use it to listen to O's games while in the car but I would definitely be annoyed if it killed my reception. That's weird though. Any idea why that amp would be causing that problem while others won't?
I agree with two amps, but there will likely be no savings unless I get inferior amps. The 5 channel normally saves money which is why it is common. I know these HD amps perform the same even with voltage drops which is why I am trying to find the best possible solution here. I know I can go to the JL XD series, but again, inferior amp.

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
100% it is the amplifier. They have had this before with the JL HD 900/5 amp. And to top it off, I had an SL55 before this with the same JL900/5 (not physically but the same amp) which had the same problem, and at the same time had a GL450 with the SAME amp, and also the SAME radio reception problem. The HD amp apparently puts out some sort of RF signal. I am sure I can find plenty of info on that wit ha search on Google. It is just now with this car that I know it is the amp.

Also, all 3 of my vehicles had rear antennas. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. With the Benz's, I thought it was that antenna amplifier that those vehicles have, but now I know for sure it is this amp. Even the shop who sells JL and many of them said some cars get static, and some don't.
you would think if its a known issue JL would correct that..lol i have used MANY kicker 5 channel amps with zero noise or reception issues.....

OP
OP

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
you would think if its a known issue JL would correct that..lol i have used MANY kicker 5 channel amps with zero noise or reception issues.....
Search in Google. It is not every car. It does seem to be related to the antenna being back there in my opinion as a the example I am finding have it there. They emit rfi frequencies or something. It's all over the Internet.
Sponsored