Sponsored

Amazon firestick help

5starr0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
So i just got an Amazon Fire Stick recently and need help thinking through why i'm not getting audio through my receiver and only audio through my samsung TV.

I have an Onkyo 606 that has three HDMI ports on the back, all taken. One out to cable box, one to blu ray, and one to cable box. The fire stick needs to be plugged into an HDMI jack. So what i did was plug the fire stick in HDMI 1 (three was taken) and ran an optical cable from the receiver to the TV.

I programmed my harmony remote to Turn on the receiver on and input TV/Game (figured that was fine) and to turn on the TV. Works fine but no sound. If i turn up the volume on the tv it comes through but i'd like to have it run through my home theater setup-towers, surrounds, sub, center

Any hints of what i may be missing or doing wrong? I do have a Tendack coming in tomorrow which will go optical out from receiver to the box which will then be a direct line from the box HDMI to tv.

Help please
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Generally you have to set TV's to send audio out of either HDMI or Optical and they do not send out of both. If it is the same/similar Samsung I have, this is the case. I've noticed this with Vizio's as well. Meanwhile, my $50 DVD player will output from every connection it has all at once no problem.

OP
OP
5starr0

5starr0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
It was stupid mistake on my part. Had to go into the receiver menu and turn TV/Game to be "optical" so it would know to send the sound out digitally when i chose to turn on the firestick through that preset. I do have all speakers playing now also.

Just gotta learn the rope of kodi now

OP
OP
5starr0

5starr0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I already had Kodi, it was more about getting sound out of my surround sound. I did buy a tendak piece I didnt wind up using because the optical straight from receiver to tv seems to be working fine. The Tendak would have split the optical to the HDMI.

So far just learning about kodi and how to use it. Watched a few videos for tips last night so feeling a bit more dangerous. Should have it totally nailed down by next weekend.
Sponsored