Sponsored

Alignment Change Question

bmarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Shelby GT350
I have searched and read a number of alignment threads but have not found an answer to my specific question. I have a 2016 Tech Pack that has been upgraded with coolers, etc. It is mostly street driven perhaps 2 - 3 HPDE's a year, never raced. Recently bought some R spec forged wheels, was waiting for my original tires to wear out. Yesterday I did an oil change and noticed that one of my front tires was severely worn, down to the cord on the extreme inside edge, freaked me out. This has been discussed at length and I assume this was due to a poor alignment from the factory (other 3 have worn nicely). I was planning to replace them, per Billy Johnson's article, with MPS4S's with 295/30/19 in front and 305/30/19 out back. (Would prefer 35's due to clearance but no rears around and this cannot wait). I looked up the recommended alignment specs for the non-R '16 cars and wondered if it is those that would be most appropriate, given my usage and wheel/tire changes ?
Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If you're happy with the way the car has driven so far and rear tire wear is even, then get the front toe fixed and don't change anything else. The way you've described it, the car handles fine and the only problem is one front tire with excessive wear. So just fix the toe-in setting and leave the rest alone.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
If you're happy with the way the car has driven so far and rear tire wear is even, then get the front toe fixed and don't change anything else. The way you've described it, the car handles fine and the only problem is one front tire with excessive wear. So just fix the toe-in setting and leave the rest alone.
What he says. Your toe is out, have it fixed and you will be fine.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
it seems factory specs are for slight toe out on the front which apparently aids initial turn in if you are competing in track events or aggressively driving it. But it also causes scrubbing on the inside edge of the tire. You can have the toe re-set to "0" or slight toe in to reduce this - at the risk of possible very slight loss of initial steering response. That's the theory anyway - I got under mine and adjusted the toe to slight toe in and at 10,500 miles front tires look fine - but I'm not an aggressive driver.

OP
OP

bmarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Shelby GT350
Many thanks to all for the useful feedback.

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure your running good tire pressures in your tires, but with what you described, sounds like you need to look at the alignment on that one side. Take it and get the alignment checked and get it back into spec.
Sponsored