AirLift 3P front end noise with hard cornering

4orceFed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP Equip.Group 400A
Well, the product of doing my own Airlift install are rearing it's head. I have a noise in the front end that's occurring ONLY when I push the car really hard into corners. It sounds like a ratcheting metal noise. Meaning, as I push the car and weight is shifted onto the front suspension, it sounds incremental. Like creak, creak, creak, creak. I pulled the front tires off and checked the strut collars and all the bolts touched for the install. Everything was tight. My suspicions are the lower control arm bolts. The ones you loosen to set the max compression and max extension measurements. I might have over-torqued those. Any ideas or experience with this issue?
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Have you put it on an alignment rack or 4 point lift and loosened the control arm bolts with weight on the car? When I did this on my car, I watched them shift into place. Wild thought... may not be relevant in your case, but... can always try to help! :)

OP
OP
4orceFed

4orceFed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
Have you put it on an alignment rack or 4 point lift and loosened the control arm bolts with weight on the car? When I did this on my car, I watched them shift into place. Wild thought... may not be relevant in your case, but... can always try to help! :)
No, I haven't tried this yet, but someone else said to try the same thing. I did everything on jack stands, so maybe this is it.

So what you're saying is, the tires and suspension need to be planted/supported and the control arm bolts loosened so that it can settle with weight on the corners? It's worth a shot.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
You can get away with jacking up the front of the car at the wheel so it has weight and full suspension droop - like it just comes off the jack stand. Careful where you put the jack and chock the opposing wheels so it doesn't move. Best is a 4 point drive on lift, alignment lift, or one of those oil change underground areas with the car just sitting like it normally does.

OP
OP
4orceFed

4orceFed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
You can get away with jacking up the front of the car at the wheel so it has weight and full suspension droop - like it just comes off the jack stand. Careful where you put the jack and chock the opposing wheels so it doesn't move. Best is a 4 point drive on lift, alignment lift, or one of those oil change underground areas with the car just sitting like it normally does.
I have ramps. Could use those for front wheels, no?

Sponsored

OP
OP
4orceFed

4orceFed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)

[MENTION=21494]wildcatgoal[/MENTION], I appreciate the suggestion. Gave it a shot. The noise has lessened, volume wise, but now it sounds rotational. Before, it was only reproducible with hard right turns, when weight transferred to the driver's side. However, I was backing out of a parking spot, with the wheel turned hard right, and it made the noise. Frequency increased with speed. Don't know how else to explain it. I'll have to go back and re-torque all the bolts with weight on the suspension. If that doesn't fix it, not sure what else to try. I inspected all the components and there is no evidence of rubbing or abrasion.

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
[MENTION=26784]4orceFed[/MENTION] did you ever get this figured out? I'm on the cusp of bagging and want to make sure all my boxes are checked before I buy. Also, did you do 1/4 or 3/8" lines? just curious :)

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I would love to know what this ended up being as well. I was in this car for 3 days and didn't hear a noise so I'm sure it was resolved.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see any mention of aftermarket wheels in your sig. What wheels are you running?
I ask because I put the OEM PP wheels on my car for the first time post bag install and had issues with the front wheels.
In a nutshell, the factory wheel weights, applied to the inside lip of the wheel, were rubbing on the locking collars. In my case it was BAD. Chucked some 5mm spacers in there as a temp fix while I wait for my Project6GRs to come back from paint.
YMMV.
I'll see if I can dig up the videos.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Clash point of wheel weight on collar. Notice the nice shiny finish...
IMG_1968.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
4orceFed

4orceFed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=26784]4orceFed[/MENTION] did you ever get this figured out? I'm on the cusp of bagging and want to make sure all my boxes are checked before I buy. Also, did you do 1/4 or 3/8" lines? just curious :)

[MENTION=18690]Evo_Rob[/MENTION]. Like Burkey mentioned, this was on the stock PP wheels. Although I inspected and could not find evidence of rubbing, the noise vanished with my HRE wheel (+35 front, +45 rear, 20"x9.5 Front, 20"x10.5 rear) install, proper alignment and reduction of negative camber. I was -2.5 driver's side front, -2.2 passenger's side front post bagging, with stock wheels. Reducing the camber to -1.8 DSide, -1.9 PSide, the noise has disappeared. Also, went with 1/4" lines. From what Air Lift Tech told me, line size does NOT effect filling or emptying times. Larger lines are also harder to conceal in interior trim if you route inside the vehicle.

I would love to know what this ended up being as well. I was in this car for 3 days and didn't hear a noise so I'm sure it was resolved.
Problem was resolved when you guys visited, [MENTION=8761]Jmeo[/MENTION].:headbang:

I don't see any mention of aftermarket wheels in your sig. What wheels are you running?
I ask because I put the OEM PP wheels on my car for the first time post bag install and had issues with the front wheels.
In a nutshell, the factory wheel weights, applied to the inside lip of the wheel, were rubbing on the locking collars. In my case it was BAD. Chucked some 5mm spacers in there as a temp fix while I wait for my Project6GRs to come back from paint.
YMMV.
I'll see if I can dig up the videos.
Burkey, seems you're right again. This was on the stock PP wheels.:thumbsup: However, I did not find evidence of rubbing after a thorough inspection.

Wheels seem hidden in my signature, I apologize. I'm running 20" HRE FF01's

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=18690]Evo_Rob[/MENTION]. Like Burkey mentioned, this was on the stock PP wheels. Although I inspected and could not find evidence of rubbing, the noise vanished with my HRE wheel (+35 front, +45 rear, 20"x9.5 Front, 20"x10.5 rear) install, proper alignment and reduction of negative camber. I was -2.5 driver's side front, -2.2 passenger's side front post bagging, with stock wheels. Reducing the camber to -1.8 DSide, -1.9 PSide, the noise has disappeared. Also, went with 1/4" lines. From what Air Lift Tech told me, line size does NOT effect filling or emptying times. Larger lines are also harder to conceal in interior trim if you route inside the vehicle.

Problem was resolved when you guys visited, [MENTION=8761]Jmeo[/MENTION].:headbang:

Burkey, seems you're right again. This was on the stock PP wheels.:thumbsup: However, I did not find evidence of rubbing after a thorough inspection.

Wheels seem hidden in my signature, I apologize. I'm running 20" HRE FF01's
Glad Yu got it sorted mate. Stuff like that can get tedious very quickly! :paddle:
Sponsored