WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I’m very interested to hear how Ford deal with the first “out of warranty” A/C failure when it’s reported here.

It’s only a matter of time.
Sponsored

pony1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Sorry to hear it's happened, and also that it appears you're being slimed. Unless it's related to an a/c auto setting where the fan speed initially goes berserk when there's a big temperature difference between actual and desired interior temps and then settles down, they are talking through their ar$e$. Chances are you'd have noticed that a/c behaviour previously.

Go straight back in a short and clear email with everything documented including the 'characteristic' explanation, and also note that 'due to the absence of these issues prior to the repair, evidence suggests the two are related and therefore remediation is sought at the earliest opportunity'. Then call them and talk it through calmly, referring to the email, to demonstrate that you're not being an a*hole but wont accept such BS either. If it's a Ford dealer you might ask to have them show you said 'characteristics' on other Mustangs, and also explain exactly what the source of such characteristics is.

Can I ask please if yours build dates fall into the build dates on the TSB and if not, what the month/year build is?
Good advice thanks GT 550. Will do. Anyone else has the a/c 'surge' that I described?

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Lightning Blue
The aircon does back off and spool up when using Sync 3 voice commands and phone functions. Like others I've had no issues since the evaporator was changed.

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback, 1928 Model A Ford
Mine goes in tomorrow for a follow-up check/test after a re-gas and dye added 6 weeks-or-so ago.

trumpeteer_au

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rapid Red GT Auto
The aircon does back off and spool up when using Sync 3 voice commands and phone functions. Like others I've had no issues since the evaporator was changed.
Mine has been perfect since it was replaced. The fan slowdown so you can hear on the hands free isn't as noticeable as the sudden increase in noise when it goes back to full speed so yes, that was my only thought as well.

Sponsored

pony1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Good for those who have had no further issues with their a/c post the major surgery. Thanks for the feedback :)

Will see if I can find any correlation between my bluetooth phone connected and the surging. But it happened for the dealer without my phone present so my guess is that it's not related.

The dealer and Ford CRC said they compared with other similar vehicles and found they also surged - hence normal 'characteristic'. But I haven't heard or come across any such vehicles.

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Well, quick as a flash, the dealer diagnosed a buggered evaporator - but no evaporators available in Aus until end of February! (bit of a demand perhaps ?)

4stanger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garry
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang Fastback Race Red
I’m very interested to hear how Ford deal with the first “out of warranty” A/C failure when it’s reported here.

It’s only a matter of time.
I was close, 2 weeks before the warranty ran out (my car was delivered 24/12/15), I had my last service booked at the dealer and asked to check the air con as it struggled, also I have asked the dealer to check this at just about every service I had over the last 3 years, my first post about this air con was post 14 in this thread :) Dealer advised they will order the parts for the evaporator (?) and book a time when the part arrives.
Mine was just fixed a week or 2 ago, it took less than a day to fix, I dropped it off at 8am, then got a call at 2.30pm to say it is ready to collect!

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer advised they will order the parts for the evaporator (?) and book a time when the part arrives.
Mine was just fixed a week or 2 ago, it took less than a day to fix, I dropped it off at 8am, then got a call at 2.30pm to say it is ready to collect!
I'd be surprised if they could replace the evaporator core in that timeframe - it's a dash out job which most dealers quote 2-3 days for. They had mine for a day and a half.

trumpeteer_au

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rapid Red GT Auto
I was close, 2 weeks before the warranty ran out (my car was delivered 24/12/15), I had my last service booked at the dealer and asked to check the air con as it struggled, also I have asked the dealer to check this at just about every service I had over the last 3 years, my first post about this air con was post 14 in this thread :) Dealer advised they will order the parts for the evaporator (?) and book a time when the part arrives.
Mine took 3 days and they said they were getting good at it now as they had done a few. Can't take the dash out in 6 hours. Better check the service docket.

Sponsored

4stanger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garry
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang Fastback Race Red
Mine took 3 days and they said they were getting good at it now as they had done a few. Can't take the dash out in 6 hours. Better check the service docket.
All I can say, is the print out on my invoice said "found evaporator leaking, parts ordered", and the times and dates stand, a country regional dealer, you can speculate on the rest, as I wasn't there to watch them do it :)

pony1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Anyone here in Melbourne who could help me benchmark my car's A/C issues? I'm being told things some things are 'characteristics' and normal to the model but I don't believe them.

If you don't mind giving up a few minutes of your time please PM me and we can discuss. Thanks :)

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
All I can say, is the print out on my invoice said "found evaporator leaking, parts ordered", and the times and dates stand, a country regional dealer, you can speculate on the rest, as I wasn't there to watch them do it :)
I would say your story is just like mine yesterday - they diagnosed the evaporator was at fault and have ordered a new one (which my dealer says is out of stock around the country), and they will contact you again when they have one to do the dash-out replacement.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I've had no further issues since my evaporator was replaced.

Four weeks of factory warranty remaining.

KEM157

Instagram: racer.au
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.chemistking.com.au
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Bought a brand new 2018 plated Mustang yesterday. Returned it to the dealer first thing this morning as the air con isn’t working. They need my car until at least Tuesday to repair. Not a good start and very frustrating.

I had the air con fail in my 2016 Mustang also.
Sponsored