Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I also don't believe that foam cannons have any actual purpose,
Ryan: As you probably expected, some of us feel differently about foam. The best analogy I have is "soaking dirty dishes." I know for a fact that foaming and waiting five or ten minutes takes at the very least half the dirt off. In all honesty, I would guess that it's closer to 90 percent of the dirt.

Unlike some, I never agitate the foam to wash the vehicle, I rinse the foam off after soaking for 5-10 minutes (depending on how dirty the vehicle is,) and then use the TBM with a big ol' soft MF wash pad followed by another rinse. Finally, I hook up the de-ionizing rig and do the final rinse.. I rarely ever see any dirt on the wash pad while washing and both the rinse bucket and wash bucket have very clean water with only a tiny bit of grey after emptying. That just wouldn't be the case if the foam hadn't removed nearly all the dirt and grime.

So for me, removing millions of particles that could scratch the clear prior to ever touching the vehicle, is a huge WIN. I will never wash the Shelby without foaming first.
Sponsored

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
can you comment on the stuff I use? I mean I know its cheap, but it seems to work well, gets dirt off and leaves a nice enough shine. I can use extra too and not feel bad due to price.
Havent used the Megs polymer wash and wax myself, but have used the ultimate wash and wax. It sounds similar probably just some slight differences in the type of protection it uses. But Ultimate worked well at cleaning and adding a tiny bit of protection to the paint, no complaints there. I now personally prefer a pure pH neutral shampoo with no protection as I like to add my own paint protectant.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
I also don't believe that foam cannons have any actual purpose, which I know is an unpopular opinion. Agitation is still required to truly remove dirt, and the pre rinse step already gets most of the dust and dirt that might overwhelm your mitt/towel. It sure is fun to do and looks nice, but I'm not a fan.
I personally use a foam cannon to just coat the car in soap for that little extra dwell time as well as extra lubrication when I do the hand wash. You cant replace a hand wash with a foam bath and rinse, it still needs agitation like you mentioned. But the less dirt you get off the paint before the hand wash, the less likely you are to scratch the paint

atticuskid35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium - PP1, 401a, A10, AE
I know those are used in RVs to filter water to make it drinkable. Do they really have any effect on the things in the water that causes water spots...ie hard water?
Yup 100% I had a black eco and the water spotting was insane (Austin tx). Bought one of those filters and had zero water spots after my rinse. I replace them every 3 months.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Thanks, I will give them a try. I see different models, which do you recommend. I don't have any problems with spotting on the Mustang but my black Fusion shows them big time.

Yup 100% I had a black eco and the water spotting was insane (Austin tx). Bought one of those filters and had zero water spots after my rinse. I replace them every 3 months.
Sponsored