Advice on swapping vert to coupe

doodguy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Supercharged Mustang GT
Hello, I have a built sleeved motor whipple gen 3 fore triple pump fuel system etc with a manual 6060 trans built by ben calimer.

I'm at a point in life where this car is too fast for the drag strip the way it sits, but too slow for my skill level. I ran mid 10s at the track knowing the car should be capable of 9s or better but also knowing if I wrecked it would be very dangerous.

My car sits a lot. 2015 with only 15k miles. I'm debating on buying a 15 to 17 auto coupe premium, swap everything over then sell the vert and have the 6r80 built by Brett lasala. Then I can figure out the suspension on new setup and increase boost as i go figuring out the car. I'll also put a parachute and roll cage on this car.

Does this sound like a sensible way forward? What would you do? I'm trying to have fun but also stop throwing away money.

I can't buy a 18 plus right because bcm etc are too different?

What would be a good price for 15 to 17 auto? I see prices all over the place, sometimes steals with turbo charged s550s for like 25k.

The other route I considered way in left field is selling the mustang and buy a c8 but i dont have a clue what I could get for my setup that would be reasonable.

Thanks for sharing any thoughts and experience. Just wondering if there's a view I'm just not seeing.

Advertisement

Acehole

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
various stages of crap
So basically, you want to buy a coupe, swap drivelines with vert, make coupe racecar, then sell vert? In my eyes if going full racecar why not buy a fox roller already prepped and find a coyote 6r takeout. Swap motor into vert and 6r coyote turbo into a fox!

I Bleed Ford Blue

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 grabber blue GT PP1 convertible, 2018 blue metallic explorer sport
Or at least an S197 or SN-95. In reality, you can use any mustang, the coyote will fit in any year, the 65-70 will require removal of the shock towers and a upper and lower a arm conversion (I'm not sure about the mustang II's, they were glorified pinto's anyway) Just buy whatever year you can find cheap and turn that into a racecar, then detune and keep the vert as a cruiser.

OP

doodguy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So basically, you want to buy a coupe, swap drivelines with vert, make coupe racecar, then sell vert? In my eyes if going full racecar why not buy a fox roller already prepped and find a coyote 6r takeout. Swap motor into vert and 6r coyote turbo into a fox!
Are you saying this to find a cheap roller chassis and take advantage of weight savings?

I'm not thinking 100% total race car, but do think coup would be safer than the vert for when I do take it to the track. It certainly won't be a daily but I want something shiny, like the look of the 15-17 platform and like the way it drives.

OP

doodguy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or at least an S197 or SN-95. In reality, you can use any mustang, the coyote will fit in any year, the 65-70 will require removal of the shock towers and a upper and lower a arm conversion (I'm not sure about the mustang II's, they were glorified pinto's anyway) Just buy whatever year you can find cheap and turn that into a racecar, then detune and keep the vert as a cruiser.
For the convertible I am debating possibly buy a C8 vert keep it stock and enjoy the cruise.

Advertisement

207 - CSWC

Advertisement