Sponsored

Advice on Choosing The Right Transmission S550

PrabhtheStig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR 2015 GT Premium Auto, 3.55, nav, premiers trim
:ford: Ok so TBH I am getting my FIRST OWN car. It will be a 6th gen Mustang GT. I am 16. I have test driven only the auto and was very satisfied with the paddles in s+(really just took it on a joyride, I need to go back and find out how it is for daily driving). Here's the problem; I am 100% sure I got stick down, I just want to know if the mustang should be my first stick car. I don't want to hurt the car in any way. I live in Wisconsin with 50% of my driving being inner city, and the rest out on calmer areas. I really liked the auto, just need someone with experience to tell me if the GT should be my first stick car.
Sponsored

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
the Mustang is a very high torque car so it is very easy to get moving off the line. The MT82 is very easy to get a feel for IMO and once you pull the clutch spring should present you with little trouble if you truly know how to drive a stick. The power in this engine also requires a much more robust tranny and driveline so there is potentially less risk of damaging it. BTW congrats on such a badass car at 16. I was thrilled I bought mine at 23.

Diablocoastie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
Deep Impact Blue EB (SOLD)
First, I would recommend living stick before buying a stick shift car if you think you can drive it. From what I read on here is if you miss a gear with this car. Could be TOAST! You have to be 100% sure you can drive stick. Nothing wrong with getting an auto and driving that, less likely to be here later asking if warranty will cover parts.

Just my two cents.

ENJOY!!!

Gdyup50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I bought an auto simply because I can't stand being in traffic with a stick, if you live somewhere where traffic isn't a huge issue then stick is probably more "fun". In regards to the paddles, when I bought it I figured I would enjoy using them like I did in my previous car ('02 M3), but they don't seem to have the same feel or reaction that I got from the M. It's funny because I had an '08 R32 before I got the M and it had paddles which I never used. For some reason the paddles in the M just worked for me. Maybe I haven't given the GT enough chance yet, but I tend to drive mine in the S+ mode and it's great.

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
This manual isn't delicate and will not have issues if you mIss a gear or two while getting used to it. Don't make a habit of it but with this much torque even perfectly smooth shifts put a lot of strain on it and it needs to be a robust tranny.

Sponsored

Trailhiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium Convertible
My first new car was a 4 speed manual Camaro and back in 86, my wife and I had a Mustang GT manual. (We have a 2015 automatic ECO Mustang Convertible on order now :) ). Both were a blast to drive. We grew up in the Chicago suburbs. There were 2 times that the manual became a pain - when we were in heavy, slow traffic and when there was significant snow. Other than those times, driving a manual was a lot of fun. We ordered an automatic this time cuz we're getting a little more lazy. Manual transmissions are pretty bullet-proof. The clutch will take the biggest beating while you are getting your shift patterns up to speed. Pick what excites you the most, have fun and drive safe!

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
my suggestion for people who question this in the first place... get the auto

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Manual. You'll force yourself to learn. Afraid of practicality? Shouldn't be. You're young and the clutch pedal is light. It's easy to use and nearly idiot proof. With a few thousand miles under your belt you'll be rowing it like an auto without any thought involved. And it'll still be the more fun choice.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
:ford: Ok so TBH I am getting my FIRST OWN car. It will be a 6th gen Mustang GT. I am 16. I have test driven only the auto and was very satisfied with the paddles in s+(really just took it on a joyride, I need to go back and find out how it is for daily driving). Here's the problem; I am 100% sure I got stick down, I just want to know if the mustang should be my first stick car. I don't want to hurt the car in any way. I live in Wisconsin with 50% of my driving being inner city, and the rest out on calmer areas. I really liked the auto, just need someone with experience to tell me if the GT should be my first stick car.
You don't sound ready for the V6. Get a beater and practice.

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
Go manual, you won't regret the decision. Modern-day auto transmissions are great with their paddles, but to really enjoy a powerful street car IMO a 5 or 6 speed is the way to go.

Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
16 and getting a 435HP car!!! Holy smokes man, be careful and use your head and not your emotions! This is a great car, but be careful, it can kill you just as easy as thrill you! The transmission is really your own personal choice, go with your gut.

Best Regards,

Chris

numnumm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'm 20. I learned how to drive a stick when I was 18.. however I did not learn on a high torque car like the mustang. I learned on a 89 stock (no mods) civic wagon 5speed. My dad owns a 09 SI and when I was learning how to drive a manual I was a little scared of his clutch because it felt a little heavy for me. so I didn't bother learning how to drive a manual until I got the 89 wagon.

With that said, IMO get an automatic first. Learn manual on a beater car or something with a lighter clutch. I wasn't comfortable driving the SI until I actually could drive a manual pretty well. Or just get a manual anyway and get a buddy to take it home for you then practice late at night and such around the neighborhood lol.

BlackS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 black s550 PP
Manual. You'll force yourself to learn. Afraid of practicality? Shouldn't be. You're young and the clutch pedal is light. It's easy to use and nearly idiot proof. With a few thousand miles under your belt you'll be rowing it like an auto without any thought involved. And it'll still be the more fun choice.
^this is me. first manual car.. bought it w/o test driving it (test drove the auto). Got the hang of it after a few days and didnt mess anything up

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
good for you. there are some manual truck drivers here who messed theirs up before hitting 750 miles on it, and another who refuses to drive a manual because he's sick of driving a 13 speed manual at work all day.
Sponsored