Sponsored

Adding Subwoofer to 9 Speaker Shaker Sytem

filly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
I have a 2017 GT Premium vert with the 9 speaker system. I thought I would share my experience for anyone else interested in adding a subwoofer.

I'm satisfied with the highs and mids in the Shaker system, but the total lack of bottom end was disappointing. What little bit of bass there is seems to totally vanish once the top goes down. I'm not looking to rattle everyone's windows at the intersection (the exhaust already does that well enough 🙃), just wanted to experience the full range of sound when enjoying my tunes. So I purchased a Focal BombA BP20 powered sub. It's not massive, only an 8", but is well built and packs some really nice clean and crisp sound.

I ran the power to a terminal in the under hood fuse box and the remote power on to the power window fuse in the passenger floor board fuse box. I sanded down the metal and connected the ground to one of the bolts holding the wiring harnesses to the body in the far right side of the trunk. And finally, I connected the high level inputs to the rear speaker lines. The result was pretty disappointing, the door speakers in the car were still pushing out more bass than the subwoofer.

Next up, I ordered an OBD connector so I could try the ForScan adjustment to the EQ. To my initial delight, changing the EQ settings resulted in much more range in the car speakers. But, I still had better bass range out of the cheapo walmart subwoofer that lives in my truck. I wanted some quantification, so I played a Bass range test and found I was barely getting down to 50hz and nothing below that. When I faded the speakers all the way front/back, I found there was still much better range from the front speakers. So my next effort was to connect to the front speaker signal instead - significantly better, but still had to crank the subwoofer way up and was missing the lowest part of the lows - Unfortunately, I didn't quantify this one before moving on to the final attempt.

Finally, I tapped into the low level rear speaker signal before the amp (far left in the driver side floor board) and tied into the low level inputs on the subwoofer. Fired it up and wow - finally! First thing I had to do was turn the subwoofer gain down because it was rattling my brain. After dialing it down a bit I got that rich full range of sound I was looking for. Still tweaking the crossover a bit, but currently about 60% gain, 120Hz on the LPF, and 0 bass boost.

So here's the summary of how I got nice sound from the subwoofer:

1. ForScan to dial down the EQ's bass reduction - makes the whole system sound better. ACM 727-01-02 00xx xx

2. ForScan to reduce the bass reduction upon opening the top. DSP 783-01-01 00xx xx
(IMO it doesn't eliminate it 100% but makes a significant difference)

3. Wire up power for your sub (there are some good youtube videos on how to run this) and connect to the low level rear speaker signal before the amp - wires are tiny and tight, so this can be a bit frustrating to splice in - I think someone on the forum was making wiring harnesses to make this easy, but I'm not that patient. There is a wiring diagram here, low levels are connected to the black plug.

4. Enjoy!
Sponsored

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
As soon as I see Forscan and a bunch of digits and dashes, I start thinking..."I'm too stupid for this and there's gonna be problems..."

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Nice write up. Super thorough.

So your car has the 9 speaker which includes the shaker AMP? I thought that AMP systems has 12 speakers. I'm a 401A premium but with the regular stereo. I'm guessing not a lot of your awesome research applies to my sadness because of no factory amp. 😥

OP
OP
filly

filly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Nice write up. Super thorough.

So your car has the 9 speaker which includes the shaker AMP? I thought that AMP systems has 12 speakers. I'm a 401A premium but with the regular stereo. I'm guessing not a lot of your awesome research applies to my sadness because of no factory amp. 😥
As I understand it, there is a 9 speaker Shaker system and then a 12 speaker Shaker Pro system, mine still says SHAKER on the center console, but didn't come with the sub or the coax rears. Do you still have the sync 3 head unit with 401A? If so, I would suspect there is still a preamp signal, but tapping into it might be tricky. And I still think you would need to do the ForScan if you plan on keeping the factory head unit and want to get some low end. It's not so bad once you figure out how to navigate the programming interface.

OP
OP
filly

filly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
After riding for a few days, I had to admit that even with the sweet lows I was getting from the subwoofer, they were just floating away in the breeze when I was riding down the highway with the top down. I was starting to rethink the notion of a subwoofer in the trunk, but then one more thing occurred to me. The port on the BombA is on the side at the top, so I flipped the whole thing upside down and pointed the port at the little bit of back seat that is exposed under the convertible top compartment. And just like that, I can hear nice bass at 75 on the highway.

Sponsored

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
After riding for a few days, I had to admit that even with the sweet lows I was getting from the subwoofer, they were just floating away in the breeze when I was riding down the highway with the top down. I was starting to rethink the notion of a subwoofer in the trunk, but then one more thing occurred to me. The port on the BombA is on the side at the top, so I flipped the whole thing upside down and pointed the port at the little bit of back seat that is exposed under the convertible top compartment. And just like that, I can hear nice bass at 75 on the highway.
I'll tell you what, if you put a wind deflector in that thing, you'll definitely hear better. I did the Audi windscreen mod and it's night and day experience with sound, wind, temperature.

OP
OP
filly

filly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
I'll tell you what, if you put a wind deflector in that thing, you'll definitely hear better. I did the Audi windscreen mod and it's night and day experience with sound, wind, temperature.
That’s an excellent suggestion, I will look into that for sure. Thanks!!
Sponsored