According to new CB article, "Younger Buyers could kill the Ford Mustang"

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
I think the article's statement does not just apply to the Ford Mustang although it was a good example to make that statement. Srely, it does apply to the whole class of coups / sportier cars that are in the same price range or even more expensive, and the Mustang imho is an example on the cheaper end (thank you Ford) given other manufacturers offer cars for twice or more.

I suppose younger people (<= 25?) might have other priorities after their graduation and the price for new cars did increase for quite a bit over the years.

But the title of the article is a bit click bait. The author seems to insinuate that over time, the average age of Mustang buyers (starting with the young ones of course) will slowly rise and eventually nobody would buy them anymore or at least to the point when it does become not profitable enough for a manufacturer to develop and manufacture them.
Sponsored

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
Damn millennials! Just because....:cwl:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Younger generations just aren't "into cars" like the older generation. For generations starting with millennials and getting younger, they care about what's most efficient. Efficiency to the younger generation is what do you get the most value on? A Mustang is bottom of the list for a few reasons. The current Mustang costs too much for one. Another reason being the gas mileage sucks.

Another thing... A lot of us, car enthusiast, know how to fix and modify our cars. That's going out the window these days. A lot of people are lucky to know how to change a windshield wiper, let alone a flat tire, oil change, or spark plugs.

subject617

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GT, 2020 Bullitt
Younger generations just aren't "into cars" like the older generation. For generations starting with millennials and getting younger, they care about what's most efficient.

Another thing... A lot of us, car enthusiast, know how to fix and modify our cars. That's going out the window these days. A lot of people are lucky to know how to change a windshield wiper, let alone a flat tire, oil change, or spark plugs.
As a millenial on my 3rd Mustang (while not even being in the US) i find this offensive. I can change Tire-oil and know how to apply Sparkplugs on the windshield :O

I can see the "into cars" or taking care of them. They want to drive something cheap, or something really expensive looking, even if its crap. And a Ford does not really apply to that.

Talking to friends, its mostly a financial Issue, they can´t afford to spend that much money on a car and they would pay higher taxes.
One could argue that "efficiency" and being able to afford are quite next to each other.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Gonna have to dispute your assertion. Check out the best selling cars of the 80's:

https://www.hotcars.com/these-were-americas-most-popular-cars-in-the-80s/

Nothing says 'Hotrod' like a Chevy Celebrity :giggle:

Sorry, but "generation" has nothing to do with being into cars. Efficient, practical, and affordable cars have/will always outsell "cool" cars. People who take their car to the dealership for every service have/will always outnumber backyard mechanics. It takes a special kind of person to decide that yes, they will have the more expensive, louder, more difficult to maintain vehicle. The one that's a bit harder to get in and out of, doesn't hold nearly as many groceries, and might try to murder them on occasion. This "millennials this, and millennials that" nonsense really needs to stop.
It's funny you say the ole Celebrity. My dad used to drive a Celebrity. Whew! Memories! There was one time where we didn't let the thing warm up and tried to get on the highway. One of the scariest times of my life in a car. The throttle wasn't working after about 30 MPH. Took it a few minutes to start working lol.

I agree practical and efficient will outsell performance cars.

I'm a millennial myself as I'm 30. My dad doesn't really have an interest in cars. I believe I got the interest from my grandfather. He liked tinkering and working on anything that had a motor in it. Cars, trucks, lawn mowers, leaf blowers, you name it. He could fix just about anything. He worked for a telephone company his whole life. I guess I picked up an interest in technology from him too as I'm in the IT sector for a career now.

It's interesting to see how people "get into cars." Sometimes the interest is passed down from generation to generation, sometimes you see a video and want to try it, sometimes you happen to stumble upon it somehow.

I have been known to question myself and ask why I have expensive hobbies... :facepalm: For the 99% of us that can't afford all the wants in our life, we have to carefully pick and choose the needs and wants in our life. Sometimes I have to take a step back and put everything in perspective of how blessed I am for the things I have.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I got into cars when I started hanging out with people who wrenched and modded their cars. Got bit by a dangerous bug :crackup:

On an IT related note: years of playing PC games are a good part to blame/thank for my current career. Games got me into the hardware, hardware got me into the science, and from there my hobby honed skills I now use every day at work.
A dangerous bug indeed! :giggle:

I've met a lot of people in the IT world that are also car enthusiast. Several I've come across on this forum as well.

BTDUBS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I agree lack of practicality is a big factor. Hell, I'm a boomer (tail end) and I didn't buy my Mustang until I was 58. It just wasn't an appealing option when I had two kids who became teenagers, etc. Before kids I had an old '73 Charger and an '83 Volkswagen GTI. Fun cars at the time but but being more practical eventually ruled the day with the family. Also, I wouldn't own my Mustang if I lived in a high density urban area. What's the point if most of your driving is in heavy traffic, slow speed limits, etc. Might as well have a Prius or no car at all. Even the area I live in has seen traffic get much worse over the last 10-15 years due to population growth. If the trend continues I might only keep a Mustang if I move to a more rural setting or at least further to the outskirts of the metro area.

I am rather tired of "millennials are killing [fill in the blank]." They are simply reacting to the reality of the times, mainly higher costs of home and auto ownership in comparison to wages paid. Maybe there needs to be equal concern about "living wages" paid to workers in China and Mexico as for those in the U.S. IMO, outsourcing manufacturing jobs to cheap labor in other countries is a primary factor in declining U.S. wages. I'm just as tired of "boomers ruined everything." Most boomers' kids are millennials so their parents would not have intended for them to face harder times. Many parents like me saw college costs were going through the roof and made plans to help their kids pay for it to a greater degree than their parents helped them.
This right here. I am on the older side of the Millennial scale at 35, but between cost of living and low wages, even in the tech sector, a Mustang didn't make sense until COVID ensured that I could work remotely for pretty much forever. I had fun cars like a GTI and JCW Mini, but that we because I would average 33mpg. We are lucky though, we have been able to afford a new house near Austin, but most are not as lucky. Stressing again, between MSRP, getting the right options, insurance, and gas, Mustangs are really just seen as expensive toys. I would say though that outside of MPG, the large front seat area and surprisingly large trunk, the backseat is what truly holds it back from being practical.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Mustangs are really just seen as expensive toys
As a non millennial I view Mustangs are cheap toys (for the most part) compared to what's out in the market nowadays.

JUNQDAWG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILL
Vehicle(s)
2018 MUSTANG GT 5.0 10 SPEED
All the talk of EV's and the death of the ICE and oil is at best, uncertain. The reality is, for a very long time we will have a mix of hybrid, EV, ICE, Hydrogen, and whatever other future technologies are released.

The gov't is not going to come take your car, are they going to issue mandates? That is also uncertain as the politics drive that. While we will eventually move away from oil, there will still be a need and ICE based cars will not go anywhere for a very long time.

Each different source has its purpose and also its downside hence, why we will see a mix for a very long time. How long? I am not sure anyone at this point in time knows. Also, this is the US (I say that loosely these days....) and the gov't is not going to force or remove everyone's ICE the same as not everyone will be forced into EV's.

Am I right....am I wrong? Who knows these days....the one thing to forget is that we are not Europe and while they are heading into a more EV based transportation focused future, they are also far different than our own country and I simply do not see oil which has been around for so long going away overnight. Will it go away, of course as it is a finite resource however, it will not be in any "near" future as there is still money and a need/want.

I could see younger kids, especially the ones growing up in the social media digital age looking towards EVs and that will be the norm for them. However, so long as there is a need for an ICE, hybrid, or other power source it will remain. Once people stop buying ICE based vehicles, we'll then see them no longer made, and eventually will fade away by the wayside.

As I said...am I right or wrong....I cannot tell you, all I know is the future and people's wants will drive our future.

You are so right my friend . Young kids today think that the newest on the "Market" is what they must have . Don't know your age ,but I think you will agree ,most {NOT ALL} think stuff ought to just be handed to them . There are still a few with "work ethics" I can't say but YOU KNOW WHO is doing exactly THAT . Handing everything to certain people that know how to play the Gov. Give-Away Game . Electric vehicles that go 300 miles before charging . Maybe there are some that go further I could care less . Can you imagine the lines at the "PLUG-IN Stations" and Where are they gonna be ? Only on Interstate hwys . What about rural parts of the country ? In Texas it's no big deal to drive 50 miles or more and not see a car . Are we going to knock on peoples dr and ask to plug into their outside outlets. Don't think that's gonna work . I'm sure they will improve the mileage in years to come . But if I wanted a silent machine I would buy a golf cart . Nothing like the rumble of V-8 American Muscle . I hear some Electrics do a 2.8 zero to 60 MPH. . Very impressive . Can't wait for the fights at the "Charging Stations" and how much will it cost for a FULL CHARGE ? Oil will be in our lives for years to come "I PRAY" . The older folks ain't going for electric unless they live in the cities . Supply and Demand will decide . Do you old dudes remember 1977 when GM was gonna change the car market with that "WONDERFUL" Oldsmobile Diesel engine in the full size passenger cars . First cold morning here in Northeast Texas , The Olds. Dealer had 'em parked out in the street . Seemed a lot of 'em wouldn't start in cold temps. . Mr. Elon Musk is a genius ,no denying it . Just because you "Build It " doesn't mean "They Will Come " and BUY. Ok . I stole that line from Kevin Costner. ..Junqdawg...... NASCAR is gonna need some long extension cords and how do you make your Ford Battery "Faster" than a Chevy or Mopar " BATTERY . ?

JUNQDAWG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILL
Vehicle(s)
im not that young, but I personally never had cars on my radar living in Chicago I relied on public transit. I mostly was paycheck to paycheck (aside from retirement funds and saving for a downpayment on a house). The company I worked for got bought by a competitor, and some us received retainers. It wasnt a ton of money but thats what led me to my first car at 36 (license at 32…got one when 16 but expired while living abroad). I prioritized buying a place since owning a car in Chicago is honestly more of a hassle than anything else.

Didnt really have Mustang on my radar, but the 4banger kind of hit on all I was looking for (and cheap price) and have loved it ever since. So I do agree that while younger folks aren't as interested in cars its not because cars are losing favor, there are just so many more distractions and money pits for people these days. Hell everyone I know spends almost 100 bucks a month on a cellphone. Uber is pretty damn convenient and especially in the city its easier than trying to find parking and paying 30 bucks for that which might exceed the entire uber ride.

Sponsored

BTDUBS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
As a non millennial I view Mustangs are cheap toys (for the most part) compared to what's out in the market nowadays.
Yes, but accounting for inflation we make less than non millennials. Wages have not kept up with inflation and gas is considerably more expensive. That also said, we also have different priorities too when it comes to cars. We want tech, practicality and fuel mileage. We see cars more as tools than means of fun, we have only ever known heavy traffic.

That is not to say that the spark can’t be reignited, but that won’t come until Ford remagines what the Mustang coupe is when they inevitably go electric. I am not one f those millennials, I want speed, power, handling, looks, turning gasoline into glorious noise.

I think Jeremy Clarkson put it best in the Forza 4 intro, “we are an endangered species, you and I…”.

JUNQDAWG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILL
Vehicle(s)

Hey Colorado .. You make some very valid points . One being We may all be Americans {most of us so far anyway}. But where you lay your head at night has a lot to do with your "driving lifestyle" . You mentioned ,I think 36 before getting your own wheels , Hell I was a Grandpa @ 36 . No offense intended . It all comes down to where you live and how you were taught growing up the way you live your life . You mentioned City up raising. Not a thing in the world wrong with that . Different strokes ,different folks . I was one of those Old farts that DID play "Elvis ,Willie Nelson, Waylon, and various others you wouldn't be interested in . Raised on a Dairy Farm in Southeast Texas. Bought my 1st NEW Car @ 16 yrs old . Hauled 20,000 bales of hay from May till September, to make just enough for a Red 66 Mustang Gt Fastback. 289/4speed .271 HP hi. performance package. Barely had enough to pay 3 months insurance and a tank of gas @ 31cents a gallon . Had to bum $5 bucks off my dear 'ol Daddy to take my girlfriend out the night I picked it up . Nope , it was NOT the fastest car on the market in those days but she was fast enough . GTO'S 383 Roadrunners , 442's 327 Novas' if STOCK didn't like ME . Of course OTHERS DID show me their tail lights as they passed and gave me the old turn lite signal "burn"
Like you I don't know where the automobile Americans will be driving is gonna end up in 10 years . I think lots of folks are crying "WOLF" and I don't understand why . They have made the auto sooooo Hi Tech in the last 20 years a guy with real mechanical knowledge can barely change the oil in his own vehicle. In the early 70's @ My Wrecking yard we could hotwire ,hook up a gas line and crank a used motor for the customer to hear before buying it. piece of cake ! Then Detroit decided cars needed ECMs {We called 'em computers and knew not one iota about them. } Then good old USA brain childs made a electronic box to hook up and viola motors ran . Now , you might as well ask me to hotwire the Space Shuttle when I look under the hood of my 2018 GT 5.0 10sp. My car is smarter than ME ! Not a surprise at all . Detroit wants it that way . So you have to pay $75-$100 per hour Book Labor . Capitalism The American Way .
And everytime you go in for an oil change the young punk screams ."Oh My God Sir " your front end suspension is worn out as he jumps up and down on a 10 foot pry bar to try and convince you if you don't spend $1600 ,you and everyone with your DNA is gonna die if you drive it another mile . Yes folks, I absolutely make as fool out of them as I open the door and show him 12K on the Odometer and say "Kid ,My generation invented that little TRICK 35 yrs ago . "Don't spill any oil on my engine and put that Bar up before you hurt yourself. " Junqdawg .. Sorry got carried away , didn't intend to write a NOVEL.........My apologies

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
You are so right my friend . Young kids today think that the newest on the "Market" is what they must have . Don't know your age ,but I think you will agree ,most {NOT ALL} think stuff ought to just be handed to them . There are still a few with "work ethics" I can't say but YOU KNOW WHO is doing exactly THAT . Handing everything to certain people that know how to play the Gov. Give-Away Game . Electric vehicles that go 300 miles before charging . Maybe there are some that go further I could care less . Can you imagine the lines at the "PLUG-IN Stations" and Where are they gonna be ? Only on Interstate hwys . What about rural parts of the country ? In Texas it's no big deal to drive 50 miles or more and not see a car . Are we going to knock on peoples dr and ask to plug into their outside outlets. Don't think that's gonna work . I'm sure they will improve the mileage in years to come . But if I wanted a silent machine I would buy a golf cart . Nothing like the rumble of V-8 American Muscle . I hear some Electrics do a 2.8 zero to 60 MPH. . Very impressive . Can't wait for the fights at the "Charging Stations" and how much will it cost for a FULL CHARGE ? Oil will be in our lives for years to come "I PRAY" . The older folks ain't going for electric unless they live in the cities . Supply and Demand will decide . Do you old dudes remember 1977 when GM was gonna change the car market with that "WONDERFUL" Oldsmobile Diesel engine in the full size passenger cars . First cold morning here in Northeast Texas , The Olds. Dealer had 'em parked out in the street . Seemed a lot of 'em wouldn't start in cold temps. . Mr. Elon Musk is a genius ,no denying it . Just because you "Build It " doesn't mean "They Will Come " and BUY. Ok . I stole that line from Kevin Costner. ..Junqdawg...... NASCAR is gonna need some long extension cords and how do you make your Ford Battery "Faster" than a Chevy or Mopar " BATTERY . ?
Thank you! Well said!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's funny you say the ole Celebrity. My dad used to drive a Celebrity. Whew! Memories! There was one time where we didn't let the thing warm up and tried to get on the highway. One of the scariest times of my life in a car. The throttle wasn't working after about 30 MPH. Took it a few minutes to start working lol.

I agree practical and efficient will outsell performance cars.

I'm a millennial myself as I'm 30. My dad doesn't really have an interest in cars. I believe I got the interest from my grandfather. He liked tinkering and working on anything that had a motor in it. Cars, trucks, lawn mowers, leaf blowers, you name it. He could fix just about anything. He worked for a telephone company his whole life. I guess I picked up an interest in technology from him too as I'm in the IT sector for a career now.

It's interesting to see how people "get into cars." Sometimes the interest is passed down from generation to generation, sometimes you see a video and want to try it, sometimes you happen to stumble upon it somehow.

I have been known to question myself and ask why I have expensive hobbies... :facepalm: For the 99% of us that can't afford all the wants in our life, we have to carefully pick and choose the needs and wants in our life. Sometimes I have to take a step back and put everything in perspective of how blessed I am for the things I have.
I still don't know why the Celebrity sold so many units when it was vastly inferior to the Taurus, but I guess "brand lines" were much more entrenched then since the Japanese hadn't broke real ground just yet.
Sponsored