Sponsored

A Cautionary Tale, 2018 Mustag gt active Exhaust system!

OP
OP
Toro73

Toro73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt auto 400A Package factory 20's
Having a problem with my car. Getting an error message, Drive Mode Selection Not Available. Message comes right at startup when the active exhaust valves cycle. From reading other posts on the interwebs this error message is caused by the active exhaust. I'm not able to turn off AdvanceTrac or Traction Lock either. The Active Exhaust still works, with no error message. I'm wondering if all I need is a recalibration, and is this something that is done only at a dealership?
First thing to check as in my situation is the plug and wiring to the active exhaust motor, you can see them on top of the mufflers. Make sure to double check passenger side which is the one with the least amount of clearance. If you see striped wires or it is unplugged take care of that and normally this will fix the problem. Also check the number #34 fuse in the fuse box, if the wires have being exposes it will short it out The steps I believe are only necessary when you install a new valve motor actuator on the exhaust.

If you have change, adjusted or deleted the factory exhaust you might run into this problem.

Hope this help
Sponsored

fMErunnin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt
Vehicle Showcase
Same issue here. Took it back to the shop and the wires are cut. Clamps weren't holding the cat back on tight enough and it slid... My issue? It is cut so close to the plug that you can't fix it. Either redo the plug (which I am not sure is possible), or buy new harness (which I am not sure is possible lol). After looking at it, why in the world would they design it with the harness so close to that wonderful wire cutting material? lol

Off to the stealership I go.

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Trip terminals out of the plug connection, buy new terminals and crimp them on. As long as you have correct tool to crimping terminals

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I am curious what the reset procedure is. Maybe the op can fill us in in case we have the issue.

CajunGirl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Missy
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium/PP DMG: 2020 GT500 R. Red
OMG, I wish I would of saw this, I am going through the same thing, installed an X midpipe, now active exhaust does not work, it is back at the muffler shop and I just printed this out and I am going to bring it to him, they had to mess up my wiring is my guess. UGGH, should of just left it alone!

Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Sorry to hear that everyone's having these problems. But most folks on this board are handy enough to swap out a catback and do basic wire repair, so that's good.

I think it would be helpful to those with 18-19's to post what the active exhaust motor reset procedure actually is. That would help those who inevitably will have this same problem as swapping exhausts on a Mustang is almost as common as putting in gas.

CajunGirl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Missy
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium/PP DMG: 2020 GT500 R. Red
I just got back from the muffler shop, it is exactly what mikes2017gt said, at first they were like, no the wires are all covered, then I said check the fuse, guess what it was blown, so they are fixing it as I type. I printed out the forum and showed it to the guy, so he could not say anything!! It is on the passenger side, where there is very little clearance, the wires are touching the frame of the car. I pray that they fix it correctly, it is Friday night and my daughter's 20th Bday tomorrow, I need my mustang!! :) Thank all of you for this thread, it really did help, I was clueless!

500PLUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I just got back from the muffler shop, it is exactly what mikes2017gt said, at first they were like, no the wires are all covered, then I said check the fuse, guess what it was blown, so they are fixing it as I type. I printed out the forum and showed it to the guy, so he could not say anything!! It is on the passenger side, where there is very little clearance, the wires are touching the frame of the car. I pray that they fix it correctly, it is Friday night and my daughter's 20th Bday tomorrow, I need my mustang!! :) Thank all of you for this thread, it really did help, I was clueless!
Hi did they fix it
I’ve had same on going problem
X pipe fitted exhaust extended when hot cut wires ordered new wire took 6 weeks
Back on still got engine light on and no active message
U.K. owner book does not mention the fuse so gonna check today
Hoping will solve
Stuck on track all the time

500PLUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Hi all,
my fuse 34 was missing
I think during this hassle it was put in 35 by accident
Does 35 do anything ??
Anyway the valves worked instantly
But I still have engine light on
Will ford need to clear this ?
All seems fine with sounds etc
Fast hot run and still clearance with the wire and body seam
We chopped front of x pipe to shorten the exhaust

Any ideas on turning engine light off ??

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Fuse 35 shows RH high intensity head lamps. Maybe you can disconnect the battery and clear the keep alive memory and see what happens. If an engine light is on, there should be a stored code that can be easily identified.

Sponsored

Tish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT coupe
FYI anyone having the ''Active exhaust mode not available'' problem.After checking fuse number 34 take a look at fuse number 42,this is a Vehicle Power 3 circuit and it sends power to the active exhaust and fans along with a few other circuits.

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The fix was done at the shop, they solder the cables that where damaged and shrink wrapped the others that where exposed and then black taped them all of it together and re adjusted the mufflers . I believe that the recalibrating is not necessary, only when it is a new motor but It might need it. Ill see if my guy can send me the recalibrating steps.

But you may want to take it to the shop where you got the x pipe installed a see where the harness was damaged. Also in my case, the fuse for the motor was blown If not mistaken it is number 43 but not 100% sure it was a 15 amp fuse the newer smaller size you can check the owners manual.

It is pretty simple repair to the harness, I took it back to the shop because not having the correct alignment caused the problem to begin with and they are super chill so they fixed it for free. Just got to get down there and see if you can see the damage.

hope this helps
Do you know what the proper alignment is? I am having this issue now

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
FYI anyone having the ''Active exhaust mode not available'' problem.After checking fuse number 34 take a look at fuse number 42,this is a Vehicle Power 3 circuit and it sends power to the active exhaust and fans along with a few other circuits.
Do you know what the proper alignment is? I am having this issue now

Tish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT coupe
I did not remove the exhaust so did not have to re-align it.

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I did not remove the exhaust so did not have to re-align it.
Okay, I had an X Pipe installed but they didn't fully remove the exhaust. So I guess my main concern will be the wiring and the Fuse 34?
Sponsored