Reaction score
Website
www.motormisfit.com
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT in Grabber Lime Green
Hi everyone,
On July 4th I was driving and then I heard a tick followed by what sounded like if you alternator or a/ belt go through water. I noticed then that the a/c was blowing hot and that would not go cold. I took the car the next day (July 5th) to the dealer and they did not want to cover it under the warranty since my factory warranty expired June 28th. Although I am still under 36k miles and only a few days past the warranty expiration they said they cannot cover it. They mentioned that it would probably be a $2500 repair as it could be the compressor but they didn't even want to look at it unless I paid the $99 diagnostic fee.

I then took it to two other shops and one said it was the a/c belt that snapped. The other said the belt melted and that the compressor was locked up and needed replacing. The last shop was quoting me $1200 to change the compressor but suggested that I reach out to a general manager at the dealership and demand to get the fix done under warranty. I called and the GM deferred me to the service director which said that he will open a case with Ford tomorrow and see what they say.

Has anyone had any luck getting this fixed after their warranty expired? Any advice you could give me or experience you can share that I can use to plead my case with Ford and this dealership?
Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
You are aware of the evaporator issue, right? :frusty: that's most likely where your freon was leaking. I'd highly recommend changing the evaporator core to the new design while you're changing stuff in the A/C system out.

Not aware of Ford handling the well known and documented A/C issue out of warranty-that would create too much good rapport with their customers, and might move them up in Consumer Reports' (hive like) mind :thumbsup: From what I've seen, Ford only handles out of warranty issues kicking and screaming...

Gnfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT PP, 1986 Buick GN
6 days out of warranty and thats how the dealer treats you? Did you call Ford CS?

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
I'd fix the compressor issue and just use a leak sealer with the new freon. No way would I pay for the evap change at this point. Even the new ones leak.

jonrjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Premium GT, 2013 Taurus SHO, F-350 Crewcab FX4 Lariat 4x4
I have had Ford step up and cover in full or in part a few times on different vehicles out of warranty.

Best suggestions I can offer is do not demand, do not threaten, be respectful, stay with the facts remembering that this is nothing personal.

Be sure to mention that you are looking for assistance as a gesture of Good Faith from Ford as well as the dealership.

Sponsored

EcoBoostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I have had Ford step up and cover in full or in part a few times on different vehicles out of warranty.

Best suggestions I can offer is do not demand, do not threaten, be respectful, stay with the facts remembering that this is nothing personal.

Be sure to mention that you are looking for assistance as a gesture of Good Faith from Ford as well as the dealership.
Great advice here...

5-OH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Weird we must’ve bought our cars on the same day got my GT on June 28, 2015 and here we are 3 years later the car only has 5,200 miles on it. I too worry about the Ac as I live in S. Florida.

OP
OP
Los_s550

Los_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.motormisfit.com
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
You are aware of the evaporator issue, right? :frusty: that's most likely where your freon was leaking. I'd highly recommend changing the evaporator core to the new design while you're changing stuff in the A/C system out.

Not aware of Ford handling the well known and documented A/C issue out of warranty-that would create too much good rapport with their customers, and might move them up in Consumer Reports' (hive like) mind :thumbsup: From what I've seen, Ford only handles out of warranty issues kicking and screaming...
I heard about the Evap issues, I actually had the hood and passenger door handle fixed at the dealer a few weeks past and I asked to see if they can check the a/c but they said as long as it is working right then all should be good. A few weeks later I am here.

It sucks that they don't want to help. I can understand a few months after warranty but a few days. thats crazy

OP
OP
Los_s550

Los_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.motormisfit.com
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
6 days out of warranty and thats how the dealer treats you? Did you call Ford CS?
I called Ford CS and they didn't even know what to do. I hd to explain it a few times and they kept asking how they can help.

I then called the service advisor back and he was the one that actually gave me the GM's number

OP
OP
Los_s550

Los_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.motormisfit.com
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)

Great advice! I will try to keep my cool and ask for their help instead of demanding it. Thank You!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Los_s550

Los_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.motormisfit.com
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
Weird we must’ve bought our cars on the same day got my GT on June 28, 2015 and here we are 3 years later the car only has 5,200 miles on it. I too worry about the Ac as I live in S. Florida.
our stangs have the same b-day haha.

Yea I heard about the issues and was worried that it would happen after the warranty ended, I should have bought the extended warranty I guess. It sucks living here and driving with no a/c. Today I arrived at my office drenched in sweat, not a good feeling. You only have 5,200 miles on it so you might be ok.

pike1346

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang 5.0 Premium
Floodfordesp.com.....buy the extended warranty. It is a Ford after all
Sponsored