7th mustang. Doing things different at 49

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
I have had a 65 289, an 05 V6. A 10 GT Track Pack, an 11 California Special 6spd, an 11 GT 500 w svt package, an 18 Auto 301a and now a 2021 400a Spd manual
The 10 only got traded because I didn't know about the coyote when I got it and the GT/CS only got traded because it would not shift in cold weather. The GT500 eventually got traded because it held its value so well (I drove it 3 years and sold it for what I bought it for) and the 18 was meant to be a weekend track car and got rear-ended and essentially totaled. Of all of those my favorite was the 2011 GT/CS. I wasn't planning on buying another one but I was recently trying to cut my bills and the mustang was the cheapest car on the market that seemed reasonable. I looked at Miata's and they are well over 30k if you can find one (and that is used pricing) and a decently equipped Honda accord is 35k to 39k. "Might as well find a 40k mustang" I thought. So my 400a manual with B&O and active exhaust was close at 43k. My first impressions are that I like it as much as the 2011 and I believe the reason is the soft suspension and 50 side wall tires on 18s. I could take a trip across the country in this thing, I love driving a manual again (no issues with shifting in the 21 despite all the trolls telling me my issues with my 11 were "user error" back in the day) and the active exhaust should just be standard on all mustangs if you ask me. Of course the 18 was set up for the Atlanta speed way and wasn't meant to be fun to drive around the town but at the time, I didn't realize just how plush and comfy a mustang could be if you set one up to be so (I think I had pretty much forgotten the 11 GT/CS at the time) . So this may be where lots of people who end up leaving mustang went wrong with their package and mods if they intended to use their mustangs as their daily driver.

While not my daily driver (I have the Lexus for that).....the way it is now it rides like any other car but has the fun of a 6 speed, the acceleration of a much more expensive car and the sound track from the engine that makes me realize why the B&O sound should be optional (I have yet to use it because the car sounds so good). The 11 did not have rev matching down shifting and that additional feature REALLY put a smile on my face when I test drove this thing.

This time around, I don't plan on doing any suspension mods (unless there are some mods I find that aim for comfort and sound deadening) and may even keep these factory 50 sidewall tires. Since I decided years ago not to do power mods on the coyotes this doesn't leave much for me to do to it other than enjoy it. Maybe Ill do some cosmetic mods and eventually do some slightly wider wheels while keeping the diameter and tire height similar.

Acknowledging that I do sound like an old man ....but I am sure some 65 year old guy who just came back from the track is about to tell me i am crazy. :)
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sounds like you found the right car!! Welcome!

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
That's the great thing about these cars is that there's affordable ways to make it what you want, within reason.

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
Bought mine as a tourer and it’s perfect in that role.
Plus I assume the lighter overall weight of a non-pp manual and lower unsprung mass on the 18 inch wheels (i think the 18 inch premiums weigh around 21lbs) and smaller discs would actually make a tourer a little faster than an auto pp1/pp2 on a 20 to 80 highway pull which I am more likely to do on a regular basis than any performance driving anyway.

Sponsored

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
Fwiw mine is the cs with 19s and auto. The auto a10 in a stock 5.0 is always faster in a drag afaik. Sure weight makes a difference but not sure where that starts.

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
Fwiw mine is the cs with 19s and auto. The auto a10 in a stock 5.0 is always faster in a drag afaik. Sure weight makes a difference but not sure where that starts.
Definitely. My 18 10R80 was whiplash fast.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I have had a 65 289, an 05 V6. A 10 GT Track Pack, an 11 California Special 6spd, an 11 GT 500 w svt package, an 18 Auto 301a and now a 2021 400a Spd manual
The 10 only got traded because I didn't know about the coyote when I got it and the GT/CS only got traded because it would not shift in cold weather. The GT500 eventually got traded because it held its value so well (I drove it 3 years and sold it for what I bought it for) and the 18 was meant to be a weekend track car and got rear-ended and essentially totaled. Of all of those my favorite was the 2011 GT/CS. I wasn't planning on buying another one but I was recently trying to cut my bills and the mustang was the cheapest car on the market that seemed reasonable. I looked at Miata's and they are well over 30k if you can find one (and that is used pricing) and a decently equipped Honda accord is 35k to 39k. "Might as well find a 40k mustang" I thought. So my 400a manual with B&O and active exhaust was close at 43k. My first impressions are that I like it as much as the 2011 and I believe the reason is the soft suspension and 50 side wall tires on 18s. I could take a trip across the country in this thing, I love driving a manual again (no issues with shifting in the 21 despite all the trolls telling me my issues with my 11 were "user error" back in the day) and the active exhaust should just be standard on all mustangs if you ask me. Of course the 18 was set up for the Atlanta speed way and wasn't meant to be fun to drive around the town but at the time, I didn't realize just how plush and comfy a mustang could be if you set one up to be so (I think I had pretty much forgotten the 11 GT/CS at the time) . So this may be where lots of people who end up leaving mustang went wrong with their package and mods if they intended to use their mustangs as their daily driver.

While not my daily driver (I have the Lexus for that).....the way it is now it rides like any other car but has the fun of a 6 speed, the acceleration of a much more expensive car and the sound track from the engine that makes me realize why the B&O sound should be optional (I have yet to use it because the car sounds so good). The 11 did not have rev matching down shifting and that additional feature REALLY put a smile on my face when I test drove this thing.

This time around, I don't plan on doing any suspension mods (unless there are some mods I find that aim for comfort and sound deadening) and may even keep these factory 50 sidewall tires. Since I decided years ago not to do power mods on the coyotes this doesn't leave much for me to do to it other than enjoy it. Maybe Ill do some cosmetic mods and eventually do some slightly wider wheels while keeping the diameter and tire height similar.

Acknowledging that I do sound like an old man ....but I am sure some 65 year old guy who just came back from the track is about to tell me i am crazy. :)
Goes to show you...sometimes a boatload of "upgrades" aren't really that.

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
Many times I have said I am going to keep this car stock....each time I was wrong : )

kbreeze72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 5.0 & 2021 C8 Z51
So to be clear, your mustang is a 2021 GT premium, non-pp, 6-spd, right?

I've heard the non-pp GT suspension is pretty comfy, but a little bit bouncy
Sponsored