Sponsored

5.0 V8 - Automatic vs Manual

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
To the guys who own a S550 auto: Do you feel the shift process? Like there is a pause between switching gears?

Also let's say you go 30mph in 4th gear and you step on the gas...will it quickly down-shift and accelerate or is there a pause and/or a "kick-down moment" and then it starts to accelerate?
The 6R80 does not down-shift like a GTR, there will be a slight delay.
Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah - this!

When prepping to buy my GTI in 2009, I was fortunate enough to get a chance to drive both a manual and the DSG back to back. Same car (except for transmission obviously), same driver (me), same roads, etc. I've also had the opportunity to auto-X both my car (a stick) and a friend's DSG. DSG was much faster in both cases, smoother and easier to drive around in metro DC/Baltimore traffic. Also bored the hell out of me which is why I selected the 3 pedal option and have never regretted it. There is no substitute for the engagement and physicality of a manual.

I have driven several examples of the ZF 8 speed box in Audis and BMWs and will say that is one very nice transmission. I may try the 6 speed in the 'Stang although I can't imagine I would actually buy an auto. Please note - my car is primarily DD duty - it doesn't see any drag strip use (if a mustang is actually purchased, then that'll probably change) and lots of curvy road driving and canyon carving. If I'm lucky, I get 2-3 glorious track days per year.
The S550's 6AT doesn't hold a candle to the ZF8 or VW's DSG. I had a chance to sample all three of these in the MkVII GTI, the M235i, and an EB. It's a competent transmission but nothing like the latest batch of performance-oriented autos, dual clutch or torque converter-based.

Not sure what that other user was saying about paddles improving acceleration times. Whether the computer is controlling the shift points or the driver is issuing the command, it's the same end result.

Here's a great bit from Carlos Lago discussing 0-60 times. It's indirectly related to those who argue in favor of choosing auto for faster times. He also makes it clear that this doesn't apply to people who dedicate time at the local strip.

My thoughts couldn't be closer to his.

Yellow15Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Yellow GT on order
This is from the perspective of somebody who drove nothing but manual transmissions for 30+ years until five years ago when I bought my first automatic.
Also was brought up riding and racing motorcycles so a manual was the first transmission I made use of. No racing experience other than two seasons of Autocross and probably 200 passes down the drag strip so I am more of a typical enthusiast rather than a hard core weekend racer.

I test drove a manual GT yesterday and have to say that I was disappointed with both the clutch feel and the shifter feel.
Maybe it was because the car is brand new with less them 50 miles on the odometer but the clutch just felt either all-in or all-out with no transition that I could make use of. The clutch was also way off the floor before engaging.
The shifter just doesn't have a good feel for me, real tough to make the gear switch without searching around. The gear to gear throws seem really long.
Probably most of my disappointment would go away after driving the car for a few days but it left me shaking my head.

On the other hand, it made the decision to go with an automatic a no brainer.
Only disappointment is that I have to give up on the Performance Package.

Everybody is likely to have an opinion and this is mine, for what little it is worth.

Mike G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
I test drove a manual GT yesterday and have to say that I was disappointed with both the clutch feel and the shifter feel.
Maybe it was because the car is brand new with less them 50 miles on the odometer but the clutch just felt either all-in or all-out with no transition that I could make use of. The clutch was also way off the floor before engaging.
The shifter just doesn't have a good feel for me, real tough to make the gear switch without searching around. The gear to gear throws seem really long.

Probably most of my disappointment would go away after driving the car for a few days but it left me shaking my head.

On the other hand, it made the decision to go with an automatic a no brainer.
Only disappointment is that I have to give up on the Performance Package.

Everybody is likely to have an opinion and this is mine, for what little it is worth.
Thanks for the sanity check. I had the same experience with the clutch and shifter. After the test drive I told the salesperson I wanted to try an automatic and take another shot at the manual before making any purchase decisions.
Sponsored