Sponsored

440HP, Winter tires, and traction loss

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
The p-zeros in winter time will be worse. Obviously. In the summer you well get better grip out of the p-zeros than you are with the xice3 in winter.

I have the same winter tire as you and have no traction issues on dry pavement, I think you need to keep your foot out of it a little more.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I see.
Oh, and I forgot to mention (since you mentioned shifting) it's indeed a gt, but Auto with 3.55 gears.
I haven't driven an auto but I'm guessing the sport + mode lets the engine rev more and makes the shifts crisper. Both those factors will accentuate the tendency for the rear tires to break loose. Just leave it in normal mode or snow/ice mode and it will probably behave a lot better for you.

OP
OP

FireBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
I have winters on. I use sport+. I don't spin the tires when I don't want to. You're doing something wrong.

I can avoid the spin if I'm ever sooo gentle on the pedal, but if I try to accelerate mid turn it just flies. Drive mode, and no issue at all.

Jason Richardson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I can avoid the spin if I'm ever sooo gentle on the pedal, but if I try to accelerate mid turn it just flies. Drive mode, and no issue at all.
You have the 18x8 standard GT wheels right? That combined with your automatic 3.55 gears probably leads to a lot more wheel spin than most people here who have the much fatter performance package wheels. That maybe why they arent seeing it as much.

OP
OP

FireBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
You have the 18x8 standard GT wheels right? That combined with your automatic 3.55 gears probably leads to a lot more wheel spin than most people here who have the much fatter performance package wheels. That maybe why they arent seeing it as much.

You got that right (even though my summer set is the upgraded 20'', I bought an 235/50/18 set for winter use)

Sponsored

Jason Richardson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
You got that right (even though my summer set is the upgraded 20'', I bought an 235/50/18 set for winter use)
Are they the stock 235 50 r18s with the Pirelli P Zero Nero All Seasons that come stock with the GTs or did you make your own set since you say yours came with the 20s?

OP
OP

FireBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Are they the stock 235 50 r18s with the Pirelli P Zero Nero All Seasons that come stock with the GTs or did you make your own set since you say yours came with the 20s?

My own set, Michelin x-ice xi3.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
I can't believe what i m seeing here :doh: Its common sense to go easy on a high output rwd car like stang when the weather is bad. If you can't control a car like this you shouldn't drive it and put not only yours but others life in danger. Today i saw it on Yahoo News that an idiot wrecked a Challenger HellCat 1 hour after he bought it. Seriously :frusty: Use you brain people, its there for a reason!

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
Yes of course! My 235/50 18 winter package have more grip and don't spin. I must do something wrong. I forgot. I should put it in sport+ :D

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
I can't believe what i m seeing here :doh: Its common sense to go easy on a high output rwd car like stang when the weather is bad. If you can't control a car ......... :frusty: Use you brain people, its there for a reason!
:hail: :thumbsup:

Sponsored
OP
OP

FireBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
I can't believe what i m seeing here :doh: Its common sense to go easy on a high output rwd car like stang when the weather is bad. If you can't control a car like this you shouldn't drive it and put not only yours but others life in danger. Today i saw it on Yahoo News that an idiot wrecked a Challenger HellCat 1 hour after he bought it. Seriously :frusty: Use you brain people, its there for a reason!

The weather was actually perfect though.

OP
OP

FireBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Yes of course! My 235/50 18 winter package have more grip and don't spin. I must do something wrong. I forgot. I should put it in sport+ :D

A must try :-) but be careful, this will inherently make you a reckless and dangerous driver. Regardless of anything else.

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
nothing will be able to hook in the cold dry gravel and salt covered roads. Same as driving summer tires on a road covered in sand. Drive it and learn the limits of traction depending on conditions.

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
A must try :-) but be careful, this will inherently make you a reckless and dangerous driver. Regardless of anything else.

Again. You can't drive a 420 HP car with a Toyota Supra! :doh: If you are thinking that I am wrong - why did you ask here in the 1st place. You sound like my 18 year old son. MUST HAVE RHD Japanese bull crap because all young kids have that. 300HP minimum. BTW: Car is back by the dealer. He can't drive it. End of the story.

You on the other hand, live in Canada. Much colder weather than everywhere else on this planet. And because you read - from members here who live down south AND bought A MUSTANG ECOBOOST - that they put the car in "SPORT + mode" - that you have to do it here in Canada on a V8 Mustang!??

I marked the more important part but maybe you still don't get it. As one member wrote already here and I mark the most important part now: BRAIN.

@Firebird
Don't get me wrong. But you mixing up posts and you never drove a car like the Mustang. A 440HP car could be a persons weapon or it could be the last one you ever drive. It would be specially for you the best, to put the car in normal drive mode to figure out how to handle it. Period!:gossip:

OP
OP

FireBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Again. You can't drive a 420 HP car with a Toyota Supra! :doh: If you are thinking that I am wrong - why did you ask here in the 1st place. You sound like my 18 year old son. MUST HAVE RHD Japanese bull crap because all young kids have that. 300HP minimum. BTW: Car is back by the dealer. He can't drive it. End of the story.

You on the other hand, live in Canada. Much colder weather than everywhere else on this planet. And because you read - from members here who live down south AND bought A MUSTANG ECOBOOST - that they put the car in "SPORT + mode" - that you have to do it here in Canada on a V8 Mustang!??

I marked the more important part but maybe you still don't get it. As one member wrote already here and I mark the most important part now: BRAIN.

@Firebird
Don't get me wrong. But you mixing up posts and you never drove a car like the Mustang. A 440HP car could be a persons weapon or it could be the last one you ever drive. It would be specially for you the best, to put the car in normal drive mode to figure out how to handle it. Period!:gossip:

Thanks for your answer Papaya. Indeed Canada is a challenging country to drive in and I understand well what you wrote, in bold and not, and I do not think you are wrong and apologize if I've given that impression.

The post got a bit off course, as I didn't mention a problem driving the car. It is amazing. It is actually much more fun than I expected it to be, and I savour every minute with it. It's easy to drive in Normal mode (which is used 99% of the time) and a truly beast on Sport+, when the circumstances are right. Basically the only thing I asked is would that happen with the p-zeros on a beautiful summer day with the same easiness :-)

Btw, although I didn't drive strong cars, I rode motorcycles for many years with about twice the power to weight ratio than my new toy. If there's one thing riding a bike teaches you, it's to respect it.
Sponsored