YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
$23k!!! Damn! I'm afraid to drive my R anymore! J/K I need some aftermarket wheels yesterday tho...

On sale for only $16,500 + Tax for 4 wheels, no tires: https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-wheel-asy-hr3z1007g

This got me thinking.

I'm looking to order a new 2019 Shelby 350. I'm waiting for the damn reveal of the GT500 before I pull the trigger.

If I ordered the "R" version what wheels and tires will fit the GT350R? I wasn't a fan of these wheels anyways.

One of the reasons I didn't want the "R" version is because I heard each wheel was $6,000+ tire. I hate curb rash or any nicks in a wheel.

I don't plan to track the car a whole lot. 90% will be street driven.

Would it make sense to replace these Carbon wheels and put them away for future use or maybe sell them?
R Wheel.png
Sponsored

Ixse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Its one thing to see them at certain price level. But the question is, are there that many rich knuckle heads out there to pay that money for oem wheels? I doubt these are selling like hot cakes at these prices

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
Its one thing to see them at certain price level. But the question is, are there that many rich knuckle heads out there to pay that money for oem wheels? I doubt these are selling like hot cakes at these prices
In theory, the "R' version is less than a $10k spread at retail. If you Sold the wheels you could have an "R" version for the price of the non R.

Forgedwheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
With how many Mustangs are produced, I would think Carbon Revolution would want to continue selling into our market. I know I'd really like to eventually buy a set of the carbon fiber rims. Hopefully Carbon Revolution can continue making them and the price will fall.
The manufacturing costs of carbon wheels are very high. I doubt the prices will ever come down. This isn't like a Samsung TV where they use robots and mass produce millions of pieces.
Rumor has it that Carbon Rev's hard cost exceeds $8000 per set.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The manufacturing costs of carbon wheels are very high. I doubt the prices will ever come down. This isn't like a Samsung TV where they use robots and mass produce millions of pieces.
Rumor has it that Carbon Rev's hard cost exceeds $8000 per set.
If the cost was $8000 per set the retail price would probably be $30,000 or 40,000 to purchase.

No way is Carbon Revolution or Ford not making money on these. And the dealers who sell them are also getting their share of profits as well. Cost is probably more like $1k or 2k per set.

Sponsored

Forgedwheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
If the cost was $8000 per set the retail price would probably be $30,000 or 40,000 to purchase.

No way is Carbon Revolution or Ford not making money on these. And the dealers who sell them are also getting their share of profits as well. Cost is probably more like $1k or 2k per set.
Nope. The OEMs typically let vendors make 8% GP. You couldn't buy the carbon to make these wheels for $2k.
I worked for a company that made forged wheels for Corvette and Viper. After two years and 30,000 wheels, our profit was enough for a Big Mac and a small order of fries.
Ford is making a profit, no problem. But only big government subsidies are keeping CR in business.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Well, the parts manager who gave me a price of around $9k this time last year got back to me and confirmed the price increase. He said the best he could do for me now is $14,400 for a set. Guess I'll just have to be careful with the ones I have and warn the tire guys what they're facing if they booger one up.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Nope. The OEMs typically let vendors make 8% GP. You couldn't buy the carbon to make these wheels for $2k.
I worked for a company that made forged wheels for Corvette and Viper. After two years and 30,000 wheels, our profit was enough for a Big Mac and a small order of fries.
Ford is making a profit, no problem. But only big government subsidies are keeping CR in business.
Nothing you said in this post makes any sense to me. If you worked at a forged wheel company and they didn't make any money - what did they pay you with? Wheels? Or you donated your time? And why would the Aussie government pay for GT350 wheels?

Do you have a source?

Forgedwheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Nothing you said in this post makes any sense to me. If you worked at a forged wheel company and they didn't make any money - what did they pay you with? Wheels? Or you donated your time? And why would the Aussie government pay for GT350 wheels?

Do you have a source?
The forged wheel company in question made lots of other wheels and forgings that were profitable. The OEM contracts were not. The OEMs want your best work and they want you to make almost nothing. Reynolds aluminum made the forged Corvette wheels after us and were paid less than $200 per wheel. We couldn't even buy the aluminum for that price.
Governments, like the Australian government, often invest in new technologies in order to increase employment and collect taxes. It's what governments do, or should.
A good example here in the USA is the $7500 tax credit you get when you buy a Tesla or other pure electric car. Sell 200,000 cars and the government (you and me in this case) invests some real money in Tesla and new technology.
In the case of Carbon Rev, the Aussie government invested BECAUSE of the OEM contract.
Take away all those incentives and the prices go through the roof. Perhaps just like the big price increase on the carbon wheels for the GT350.

Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many

Do you have a source?
Not this joker again. He just comes on to M6G only to bash CR. Look at his previous posts, he obviously works for some forged wheel company and tries to discredit a superior technology. :thumbsdown:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The forged wheel company in question made lots of other wheels and forgings that were profitable. The OEM contracts were not. The OEMs want your best work and they want you to make almost nothing. Reynolds aluminum made the forged Corvette wheels after us and were paid less than $200 per wheel. We couldn't even buy the aluminum for that price.
Governments, like the Australian government, often invest in new technologies in order to increase employment and collect taxes. It's what governments do, or should.
A good example here in the USA is the $7500 tax credit you get when you buy a Tesla or other pure electric car. Sell 200,000 cars and the government (you and me in this case) invests some real money in Tesla and new technology.
In the case of Carbon Rev, the Aussie government invested BECAUSE of the OEM contract.
Take away all those incentives and the prices go through the roof. Perhaps just like the big price increase on the carbon wheels for the GT350.
So you don't have a source?

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
Can anyone fill in the specs for the OEM "R" wheels below...

Front
Size: 19x11
Backspace: ?? inches
Offset: ?? mm
Weight: ?? lbs

Rear
Size: 19x11.5
Backspace: ?? inches
Offset: ?? mm
Weight: ?? lbs
Front
Size: 19x11
Backspace: 6.94 inches
Offset: 24 mm
Weight: ~18 lbs

Rear
Size: 19x11.5
Backspace: 8.45 inches
Offset: 56 mm
Weight: ~18 lbs

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have a recommendation of a place in so-Cal that can mount tires on the OEM R wheels? I called 3 local Ford dealers and they all said they can't mount this wheel, including Ken Grody Ford which has a high performance department. Strange!

Need to know ASAP.

Edit: Galpin Auto Sports says they can do it for $375. Anyone use them/trust them?
Sponsored

Last edited: