Sponsored

350R Rear wing, Real carbon fiber? Chime in..

NicksM3

Trak Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
E92 M3 Competition
I was at Limerock last year for the test drive event, so i was toto pick up the 350R Display wing at one of the stations.....and it was literally 40-45lbs. I know CArbon fiber is lightweight because i have functional aero pieces on my track car, but this thing was HEAVY!!! Can anyone with a 350R chime in? or anyone that actually knows that its truly Carbon? Thanks.
Sponsored

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
I imagine it is similar to what is used on the front of the car, which is labeled a "carbon fiber composite". I would think the rear spoiler is made with the same material and would not consider it 100% carbon fiber material like many things feature. I don't have proof of this though and I'm not cutting mine up to find out.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I don't know about y'all but my deck lid doesn't weigh anything like a 40-45 pound wing is attached to it.

OP
OP

NicksM3

Trak Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
E92 M3 Competition
makes sense with the aluminum base for instal and keeping it sturdy, but trust me...line up an R and a Base model 350 and open the trunks...you will tell. The wing by itself was very heavy, the display wing.

Sponsored

cj428

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R TT
Ford built high performance car they're not going to put a 50-pound wing on the back of it. it's made out of carbon fiber. I'm sure it don't weigh anything near that

OP
OP

NicksM3

Trak Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
E92 M3 Competition
Ford built high performance car they're not going to put a 50-pound wing on the back of it. it's made out of carbon fiber. I'm sure it don't weigh anything near that

Look I'm not here to argue or to stir anything up... I work in construction, landscaping and I'm a mason, I know what 40 pounds feels like I work with concrete, mulch etc on a daily basis. Not saying ford didn't build a quality product I'm just curious why the part has to be so hap not saying for didn't build a quality product I'm just curious why the part has to be so heavy. Still will not stop me from placing my 2017 order

Last edited:

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I lifted it in Sebring, It didn't feel like 50lbs to me.
I am not 100% sure of material that went in to it.
But I suspect if Ford said its Carbon fibre its like mostly Carbon fibre.
I also have a hard time believe the wing is 50lbs.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
makes sense with the aluminum base for instal and keeping it sturdy, but trust me...line up an R and a Base model 350 and open the trunks...you will tell. The wing by itself was very heavy, the display wing.
Not it actually doesn't make sense as at speed the amount of downforce on the wing would triple the weight of the wing... You want as light as possible, hence CF.

Interestingly, I have opened the trunks on both the TrP and R cars and I didn't feel a significant difference slim to what you are asserting.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Look I'm not here to argue or to stir anything up... I work in construction, landscaping and I'm a mason, I know what 40 pounds feels like I work with concrete, mulch etc on a daily basis. Not saying ford didn't build a quality product I'm just curious why the part has to be so hap not saying for didn't build a quality product I'm just curious why the part has to be so heavy. Still will not stop me from placing my 2017 order
You're comparing the weight of a CF wing to landscaping knowledge?... Dude, really?!

Sponsored

cj428

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R TT
when I get my car home if its not to much of a hassle Ill pop mine off and see just for the heck of it. wood be nice to know.

OP
OP

NicksM3

Trak Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
E92 M3 Competition
Not it actually doesn't make sense as at speed the amount of downforce on the wing would triple the weight of the wing... You want as light as possible, hence CF.

Interestingly, I have opened the trunks on both the TrP and R cars and I didn't feel a significant difference slim to what you are asserting.
Because the dampers for the trunk are different in both models. I actually track my cars and use them for what they are built for and I was surprised that this piece that is supposedly made of carbon fiber was really this heavy as I physically held it. My thoughts and observation.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
It's probably a non production cheaply made non-carbon "display piece".
Sponsored