Sponsored

2nd 2017 gt350 motor replacement on the horizon

GBGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT350 W/lightning blue stripes
You would be better adding a link to the video as it is probably too large to upload.

I'll bet your noise isn't a valve rattle at all. I'll lay odds it's your timing chain and when the hydraulic pressure pumps up the tensioners it quiets down.
Sponsored

OP
OP

chase527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350 oxford white/black stripes
You would be better adding a link to the video as it is probably too large to upload.

I'll bet your noise isn't a valve rattle at all. I'll lay odds it's your timing chain and when the hydraulic pressure pumps up the tensioners it quiets down.
It only happens on cold starts and is a high rotation rattle.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Yes, I know. I posted this so people would stop giving you a hard time about not checking every 500 miles or at every gasoline fill up. I'm on your side.
For the record, I wasn't giving him a hard time, I still have to find it, but I was surprised to see it.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
My supplement indicated to check oil once per month. Page 49 of my supplement indicates to check oil once per month. See attached.
Page 48 has an ambiguous paragraph saying that it can be driven in such a way that will lead to higher consumption of oil. It states that 1 quart per 500 miles is possible and if this is so, it says you should check your oil every refueling stop to make sure you avoid engine damage.

It is in the 2017 Shelby GT350 Mustang Supplement that I got with my car.

Edit: Also, my page 49 is different from yours and states that under severe use and gives some examples (high engine speeds, engine loads, engine braking and of course track use) to check the oil at every fuel stop. I find this a bit ambiguous as well. It doesn't really clearly state what is severe use. One canyon/backroad run for example? Is that enough to be considered sever use? Regardless, I check mine every week or 300-400 miles.

OP
OP

chase527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last week I took car back to dealer for oil consumption test, burned 1.25 quarts in 750 miles, they were also able to replicate pulley sound experienced during cold starts. Ford had another field engineer fly in and perform tests, I'm still waiting on his decision as to what to do. To make things a bit more complicated, my lemon law attorney got a fast response from ford indicating that they are willing to either replace or repurchase car. I opted for a repurchase because now that I'm fully aware that ford allows 1 quart consumption per 500 miles for normal ( not track use or beating the car to hell) driving I'm not comfortable owning a 2017 car that is prone to this type of consumption, not practical for my life style. I wonder if my coinciding lemon law case has been communicated to the engineer and this is why its taking so long for a decision as to what to do about pulley noise, car has been at dealer now over 8 days. Compared to my previous case with Nissan this is lightning quick, may have a new vehicle in less than two weeks.

Sponsored

OP
OP

chase527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If there is a propensity for the car to consume all of its oil inside of one oil change interval, I believe there should be clear and present documentation for checking the oil, more than the owners manual, and also the car should have diagnostics in place for low oil. Lastly the dealership should offer the prerequisite service package to address this. You are paying a 30K premium for this car over the GT.

Does the GT350 have the oil pressure gauge in the dash like the PP cars. I use that as an indicator of when the car is warm and how the oil is doing. I assume if the oil was really low this would fluctuate erratically.
exactly my point

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
may have a new vehicle in less than two weeks.
If you weren't going to already, make sure whatever you buy recommends oil level checks you can live with.

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I'm glad they are working with you and that it was a pretty fast response time. Good luck with your new venture :cheers:

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Oil check every 500 mile is not that excessive at all.
That's just inconvenience for owning a high performance engine.
I remember my RX-8 drinks about 0.5qt every 600 miles but it did have a light that turns on if it's 1 qt low on oil.
But you do drive a lot. Most people put maybe 500-1000 miles average on a car like this and that's maybe check once every month.
GT350 needs a low oil indicator light, or oil measurement device if its can consume as much as 1 Qt per 500 miles! If it consumes more than 1 Qt in the time between recommended oil changes then that's a problem!

My Porsche Cayman S started "drinking oil" after I added a TPC Turbo kit to it (it was the turbo consuming it). BUT it even in stock form had an electronic oil level, it only measured correctly if car was turned off for 20 minutes or hadn't been started yet. I had to check the level in between each track session and added usually about a quart per track day.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I think a new tacoma should be fine
Probably. Then again, you thought the GT350 requirements would be fine. ;) The only way to avoid unpleasant surprises whether oil checks or others is to read the manual before buying. Nothing wrong with taking your chances although you complained of the outcome last time.

OP
OP

chase527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford finally contacted dealership and allowed them to order 2nd motor replacement. I was told that I will never know what issue with motor was.

VooDoo387R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R & 2020 GT500
Ford finally contacted dealership and allowed them to order 2nd motor replacement. I was told that I will never know what issue with motor was.
Sounds like B.S., hope the new engine works out for you. I'd hate to be in your shoes and go through all this. I love my R and so far, so good, but only time will tell. Keep us posted, post like these are invaluable. Good luck.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I think a new tacoma should be fine
The new Tacos look pretty cool for a truck. I've always liked them. If you get one, post pics.
Sponsored