Sponsored

gt350 x pipes

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I had a brain fart the other day and for some reason thinking I had an H pipe on my car I ordered a LTH X pipe. Low and behold when I get underneath I find that theres an X on it... ( I guess my bullitt had the H..) anyways looking at the one currently installed Im not in love with it, seems like it would be restrictive as both pipes intersect. The LTH in more of a "merge" where both pipes are along side of one another vs totally crossing paths.
Anybody have any input on if theres a benefit to swapping out to the LTH? And any difference in sound.... Cheers

this is what's on the car now
tempImageDhe6Xv.jpg
Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I had a brain fart the other day and for some reason thinking I had an H pipe on my car I ordered a LTH X pipe. Low and behold when I get underneath I find that theres an X on it... ( I guess my bullitt had the H..) anyways looking at the one currently installed Im not in love with it, seems like it would be restrictive as both pipes intersect. The LTH in more of a "merge" where both pipes are along side of one another vs totally crossing paths.
Anybody have any input on if theres a benefit to swapping out to the LTH? And any difference in sound.... Cheers

tempImageDhe6Xv.jpg
Benefits? Yes it will literally turn your GT350 into a beast. The LTH will still give you the stock sound but louder and less restricted. It will sound like a GT350R

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP

This should help explain the difference

OP
OP
The Rooster

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I know the difference between x and h pipes.
Im talking about 2 different kind of X pipe designs... one type (the more common apparently) is where the two pipes run parallel and merge into one another. The other is an actual X where the exhaust literally has to intersect.
Ive been searching around and I can't find anyone that sells an x pipe that looks like the one currently installed on my car. In fact the closest I could find is what appears to be the x thats factory installed on the "R"... Maybe the one on my car came from an R?

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
Im talking about 2 different kind of X pipe designs... one type (the more common apparently) is where the two pipes run parallel and merge into one another. The other is an actual X where the exhaust literally has to intersect.
Ive been searching around and I can't find anyone that sells an x pipe that looks like the one currently installed on my car. In fact the closest I could find is what appears to be the x thats factory installed on the "R"... Maybe the one on my car came from an R?
I have a 2020 R. Let me see if I can get under it and get a pic.

Sponsored

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
Here’s mine. I hope it helps!

2B6D490D-59A5-4995-9E74-1F219CAF7962.jpeg

72&18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
72 Mach 1, 72 F250 2wd, 18 GT350, 22 Bronco 2 Door
Much appreciated! That looks exactly like mine.... no wonder it sounds so good lol. Looks like I’m going to return the LTH.
I believe the LTH pipe you ordered is to replace the resonators and factory x pipe. As stated above, this will make the GT350 sound more like the R. I just ordered mine, but they are backed up 4 weeks. Below is the link to what I ordered. If you watch the video on their site you can see the two side by side after he cuts out the stock pipes.

https://www.steeda.com/lth-fdrd00002t-s550-resonator-delete

I was going to just have the resonators cut off and replaced with pipe at local muffler shop, but the quotes I got was about the same price as what I ordered. I can install the pipe above and I don't need to let someone I don't know hack and weld on my 350. I know some on the forum have connections at a muffler shop, but I don't.

Last edited:

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
Much appreciated! That looks exactly like mine.... no wonder it sounds so good lol. Looks like I’m going to return the LTH.
She sounds good! Glad to help and enjoy!

Tony_the_Brit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
No one that I have seen has been able to prove that any other X-pipe shows a significant power gain over the OEM one. The "merging" type are simpler (cheaper) to manufacture in moderate numbers though, which likely explains their popularity along with the fact that they look like they would flow better.

Given the obvious high level of development that Ford put into the GT350 I would leave it alone unless you want to install long tube headers, in which case you will likely have to change it out too.

Sponsored

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350

tempImageDhe6Xv.jpg
A previous owner has already deleted your resonators and welded in straight pipes, like the R. The R pipes are 2.75", I'm not sure what size yours are but they look fairly similar, might be 2.5". Definitely don't go changing that, I think you have a good setup. You can see they have also re-attached the heatshield with worm drive clamps. The original securing of the heatshield is with metal ties.

72&18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
72 Mach 1, 72 F250 2wd, 18 GT350, 22 Bronco 2 Door
A previous owner has already deleted your resonators and welded in straight pipes, like the R. The R pipes are 2.75", I'm not sure what size yours are but they look fairly similar, might be 2.5". Definitely don't go changing that, I think you have a good setup. You can see they have also re-attached the heatshield with worm drive clamps. The original securing of the heatshield is with metal ties.
Nice catch.

OP
OP
The Rooster

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Ahhhh I get it now.. the 350 came with an x pipe from the factory with 2 resonators. The resonator on my bullitt was a big rectangular muffler looking thing with 2 in and 2 out. I just assumed the 350 would have had the same thing stock.
So considering the stock resonators were simply removed and straight piped the only thing I should check is if it’s been done with 2.5 or 2.75 tubing. If it’s the smaller pipe I might still be inclined to swap out to the LTH... I could probably benefit from a little more flow with the whipple pounding air in the other end.

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Ahhhh I get it now.. the 350 came with an x pipe from the factory with 2 resonators. The resonator on my bullitt was a big rectangular muffler looking thing with 2 in and 2 out. I just assumed the 350 would have had the same thing stock.
So considering the stock resonators were simply removed and straight piped the only thing I should check is if it’s been done with 2.5 or 2.75 tubing. If it’s the smaller pipe I might still be inclined to swap out to the LTH... I could probably benefit from a little more flow with the whipple pounding air in the other end.
I don't think the 2.5 vs 2.75 for that short amount of piping will have any negative effect power wise. I mean the internal diameter of the factory resonators are 2.25", you have an upgrade over that. The factory resonators are also smaller than 2.5" ID. I'd just leave it personally unless you are not happy with the sound.

In talking about sound, you will notice a difference in sound between 2.5 and 2.75 pipe though.

OP
OP
The Rooster

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I appreciate all the input guys.
I measured the pipes and they are 2.5”... this leaves me torn on whether to swap out to the lth or not. The car sounds incredible the way it is and I’m definitely not lacking in power (789whp).... but still if there’s anything to support any improvement (marginal as it may be) with the lth it’s just not in me to leave it alone.
Sponsored