2023 Honda Civic Type R

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I think FWD cars can be fun, especially for novices and more timid types. But in the end they are boring. I owned a Fiesta ST and I did like the car. It was pretty decent as a winter commuter, and I didn't mind commuting in it in the summer.

However, one thing that really nails the difference between a FWD car and a RWD car is traction control. On the FiST, there basically is no traction control - or at least it is not intrusive at all. If you spin the front tires a yellow dash light blinks at you, but the car doesn't pull power. That's because you keep going in a straight line when you lose traction on a FWD car. It's a very stable setup. The tires with less traction want to go first, so spinning the front tires doesn't cause the car to want to swap ends.

Conversely, on a RWD vehicle the traction control pulls power very quickly if you are spinning the tires. And there's a good reason why. It's very easy to lose control and crash in a RWD car when the tires are spinning.

This is why RWD is fun. You actually have to be careful when you are driving and be ready for loss of traction when it happens. FWD you can just hold the pedal down, no worries.

AWD is about the same. A lot of fun drifting on snowy days, but not very challenging to drive, and most of the year you are just dragging a lot of extra weight around that robs HP from the car and makes the car more expensive and slows it down.
I can't understand the justification that RWD is fun because its more dangerous, I have never had fun in a car because I felt I was in actual danger. I think we find that RWD cars are more fun because they are now almost always dedicated sports cars, with better suspension and more power. I'd ask you to drive an 80's buick and tell me if its "more fun" than a FWD car just because its RWD.

FWD is fine, I had a focus ST making 380 at the wheels. I could spank a lot of cars in a straight line and in corners, the issues with that car stemmed from the fact that is was a focus with a big motor stuffed in it making 160HP over stock, not because of the drive layout. In stock form, the thing never had issues, it was well balanced and almost never exhibited "FWD issues". You're comparing a fiesta ST to a mustang, those are two entirely different types of cars for reasons far beyond which wheels spin.

When talking about the CTR, we're looking at a car that's designed from the ground up to handle the power it makes and maintain composure.

Overall, there are plenty of people who are saying the same thing about what we drive, people on German car forums flabbergasted by giant heavy NA motors, people who can't understand why we'd want an inferior drive configuration. There are people on EV forums who can't understand why we're still burning gasoline when electric propulsion is objectively better for performance. Most importantly, there are people on Honda forums who can't understand why anyone would buy a poorly assembled American car when their civic type r will easily pass 250k miles.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I can't understand the justification that RWD is fun because its more dangerous, I have never had fun in a car because I felt I was in actual danger. I think we find that RWD cars are more fun because they are now almost always dedicated sports cars, with better suspension and more power. I'd ask you to drive an 80's buick and tell me if its "more fun" than a FWD car just because its RWD.
So, you aren't the type that likes an amusement park ride. I get it. Some people really want to be as safe as possible all the time. And that's fine. Lots of other people get a thrill from danger. Trust me. It's true.

I don't like cars with automatic transmissions, but an 87 GNX would definitely be somewhat enjoyable. I would probably want to turn up the boost and stiffen the suspension though. Stock I think they are only good for a high 12 in the quarter.

FWD is fine, I had a focus ST making 380 at the wheels. I could spank a lot of cars in a straight line and in corners, the issues with that car stemmed from the fact that is was a focus with a big motor stuffed in it making 160HP over stock, not because of the drive layout. In stock form, the thing never had issues, it was well balanced and almost never exhibited "FWD issues". You're comparing a fiesta ST to a mustang, those are two entirely different types of cars for reasons far beyond which wheels spin.
Front wheel drive is good because it's cheap. But it's not optimized for performance, because you are asking two tires to do almost all of the work. It's much better to have two of the tires do the steering and the other two applying power.

When talking about the CTR, we're looking at a car that's designed from the ground up to handle the power it makes and maintain composure.
Sure. And by every account it's good... for a FWD car. But that doesn't make FWD a superior (or even equal) layout to RWD.

Overall, there are plenty of people who are saying the same thing about what we drive, people on German car forums flabbergasted by giant heavy NA motors, people who can't understand why we'd want an inferior drive configuration. There are people on EV forums who can't understand why we're still burning gasoline when electric propulsion is objectively better for performance. Most importantly, there are people on Honda forums who can't understand why anyone would buy a poorly assembled American car when their civic type r will easily pass 250k miles.
My boss has a Honda. At 80k miles the engine failed. It was maintained very carefully and driven gently. I think Hondas in general are ok, but I also think they are highly overrated. There are a lot of people who worship Honda far too much. I think the S2000 was a decent car. Too bad Honda couldn't keep making something like that - preferably with a more powerful engine.

I had an 87 Accord at one time. That thing was always broken. In the end I broke the transmission and junked it. That was the only transmission I've ever broken. I should have known better than to drive it like I drive my Fords. I fell for thinking that a Honda would be good quality and last a long time. I've had a lot better luck with Fords lasting.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
So, you aren't the type that likes an amusement park ride. I get it. Some people really want to be as safe as possible all the time. And that's fine. Lots of other people get a thrill from danger. Trust me. It's true.

I don't like cars with automatic transmissions, but an 87 GNX would definitely be somewhat enjoyable. I would probably want to turn up the boost and stiffen the suspension though. Stock I think they are only good for a high 12 in the quarter.

Front wheel drive is good because it's cheap. But it's not optimized for performance, because you are asking two tires to do almost all of the work. It's much better to have two of the tires do the steering and the other two applying power.

Sure. And by every account it's good... for a FWD car. But that doesn't make FWD a superior (or even equal) layout to RWD.

My boss has a Honda. At 80k miles the engine failed. It was maintained very carefully and driven gently. I think Hondas in general are ok, but I also think they are highly overrated. There are a lot of people who worship Honda far too much. I think the S2000 was a decent car. Too bad Honda couldn't keep making something like that - preferably with a more powerful engine.

I had an 87 Accord at one time. That thing was always broken. In the end I broke the transmission and junked it. That was the only transmission I've ever broken. I should have known better than to drive it like I drive my Fords. I fell for thinking that a Honda would be good quality and last a long time. I've had a lot better luck with Fords lasting.
your just making a lot of blanket statements

I’ve driven both, it doesn’t matter nearly as much as you think. They’re perfectly fine to drive and plenty competent.

ivory tower

Last edited:

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT, '17 Expedition, '04 LS430
FWD on a 3klbs boat = not fun.

~300hp in a DC2 or DC5 = much fun.

It looks better than the old one at least.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
your just making a lot of blanket statements

I’ve driven both, it doesn’t matter nearly as much as you think. They’re perfectly fine to drive and plenty competent.

ivory tower
Yes I will agree with perfectly fine as a descriptor for FWD but not great or better.. I've driven plenty of both as well, year round and in all kinds of weather.

I guess you are right about the ivory tower thing. I want the absolute best car I can afford, and I criticize everything else that I don't think is as good. I don't want to waste my money on second best. I criticize Mustangs a lot because I think they should have a transaxle for better weight balance and I think they are too big and porky.

If I were about 3 or 4 inches shorter I would probably be in a Corvette, although I don't love LS engines very much. If I fit in the car the engine could be fixed, though.

I like Porsches, but IMO mid or rear engine RWD is boring on the street. Too much traction. And Porsches generally are not a performance bargain. I did really like the 944 I used to own. It was an engine short of perfection.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
If I were about 3 or 4 inches shorter I would probably be in a Corvette
Most people just use the euphemistic "compensating" slur.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Most people just use the euphemistic "compensating" slur.
I feel like a C7 GS would compensate well. I'd probably need an aftermarket camshaft and or some head work to get full compensation, though.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I thought I'd leave this here:
https://www.civic11forum.com/threads/2023-civic-type-r-315-hp-full-details-here.3283/

315 HP
310 TQ

What do yall think so far?
The hp rating is more like 325ish if you use 91 octane.

I think its great. Only 30 lbs heavier with an improved transmission which I'm hoping solved the 2nd gear grind issue, lighter flywheel, lighter wheels, and more width on the tires for grip. All of that on top of a huge improvent cooling will make this car a real blast.

The interior is great, and the dealership installed addons can really spice up the car. The only real gripe about the car is that the infotainment is stuck on the dash and its not internal. But other than that I love it. They made the cabin bigger without sacrificing leg room or cargo space.

Very excited to be getting one of these :)

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
315 HP is the highest power Honda production car ever sold.

Pretty sad.
Sponsored