Sponsored

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Mach 1 premium with HP, Recaros, and red brake calipers... you're already at $61k +... ZL1 is $64k base. Amenities are abundant and included in the ZL1 too... Not to mention the 650HP/650TQ.

That'll be the comparison. Dollar for dollar performance and what you get for your money as you drive it off the lot from the dealership. Not could-of, would-of, should-of excuses with regard to gearing and other failures from Ford. 2017 SS 1LE had been out since 2016 for Ford to benchmark off of.

Trunk opening and visibility are not $13k+ advantage of value for the Mustang.

Proving tough for me to justify $61k for something I can obtain for $43k in a SS with only the 1LE package as an option and get same amenities. Just waiting for the numbers and commentary of other related note worthy details to come out between the 2. Feelings of disappointment are rumbling in my gut for the predicted results I have.
So true. The Mach-1 is priced for that special buyer who wants the opposite of bang for the buck. The Camaro has worse visibility but it's hardly that big of a deal. Having owned both, you definitely get used to it and never even notice it after awhile. The Camaro sits lower and feels way more sportier and athletic than a GT. A Mach-1 shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as a ZL-1. Laughable that they priced it almost as much. A SS 1LE will probably outperform a Mach-1 for way less..
Sponsored

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
So true. The Mach-1 is priced for that special buyer who wants the opposite of bang for the buck. The Camaro has worse visibility but it's hardly that big of a deal. Having owned both, you definitely get used to it and never even notice it after awhile. The Camaro sits lower and feels way more sportier and athletic than a GT. A Mach-1 shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as a ZL-1. Laughable that they priced it almost as much. A SS 1LE will probably outperform a Mach-1 for way less..
Camaro is still ugly as fuck with no trunk space

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
"Having owned both, you definitely get used to it and never even notice it after awhile." Like hemorrhoids?

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I was excited at first... but the Mach might as well not even be in it since Ford wouldn't let them track it against the other two.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I was excited at first... but the Mach might as well not even be in it since Ford wouldn't let them track it against the other two.
Yeah same here! The urge for the CS did not get any lesser though ....

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
This is kind of like the arguments of Mach 1 vs PP1/2... a lot of people would agree the Mach has better performance but don't think the difference is enough to be worth the money.

The M2 CS probably would have had a better time than the Mach 1 around the track by a couple seconds but is it really worth $30,000 more? (Plus that M2 is not an attractive car, no offense to those who like how it looks.)

I also wonder not only why Ford wouldn't let them track or drag test it, but why we haven't seen instrumented tests from any of the car publications yet. What could Ford's motivation possibly be for not wanting Mach 1 performance numbers being published? I can only really think of two reasons: track testing showing that despite its power deficit, it posts times very close to the GT500 (less likely), or that despite it's higher price, it posts times very close to a PP1 (more likely). If they still sold new GT350's, a similar argument would probably make more sense though.

Last edited:

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
https://www.yahoo.com/autos/2021-ford-mustang-mach-1-100000780.html

" Fresher tires also may improve the manual Mach 1's straight-line acceleration, which we measured at 4.3 seconds to 60 mph and 12.6 seconds at 115 mph through the quarter-mile. Again, those are strong efforts—and spot-on with the outgoing Bullitt's—but they trail the times of the GT PP2 and the GT350 by roughly a couple tenths of a second. "

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
https://www.yahoo.com/autos/2021-ford-mustang-mach-1-100000780.html

" Fresher tires also may improve the manual Mach 1's straight-line acceleration, which we measured at 4.3 seconds to 60 mph and 12.6 seconds at 115 mph through the quarter-mile. Again, those are strong efforts—and spot-on with the outgoing Bullitt's—but they trail the times of the GT PP2 and the GT350 by roughly a couple tenths of a second. "
And there you go. Somehow Ford managed to produce a car with worse performance but is selling it for a premium price.

Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Another article with false info... The A10 does get a Torsen rear diff.
Also someone on the forum has already done 11.9 sec 1/4 mile in a non-HP A10 against the wind.
These articles make me laugh.
The car is awesome, bottom line!
Someone should write an article about how limited the #'s will be because of the chip shortage.

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
And there you go. Somehow Ford managed to produce a car with worse performance but is selling it for a premium price.
" 4.3 seconds to 60 mph and 12.6 seconds at 115 mph through the quarter-mile. "
"3844-pound Mach 1"

This was a 6 speed car with HP.

comparison to motortrend GT PP2 and Camaro SS 1LE (a very nice package I must say)

"Compared to the Mustang GT PP1 with its narrow "just-right" rpm window for the best results, combining the Mustang GT's Drag mode and the Coyote V-8's throttle response with the PP2's wider/stickier tires make launching easier. My notes from the PP2 test day recall, "Easy to launch with modulated wheelspin because the throttle is so linear and the tires are so easy to 'read.' Great shifter, but one must push the clutch all the way to the floor to avoid crunching into third gear. Tallish gearing and a 7,400-rpm redline mean over 70 mph at the top of second gear."
At 4.3 seconds to 60 mph, it eked a 0.1-second lead over the PP1-equipped GT. This also makes it the third-quickest stock Mustang we've tested. The 2018 Mustang GT with a 10-speed automatic got there in 3.9 seconds, and the 200-pounds-lighter 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca in 4.0 seconds. Expectedly, both the PP1 and PP2 (with the same 460 horsepower) cross the quarter-mile finish line in an identical 12.6 seconds, but the downforce-optimized aero package on the PP2 GT finds it going slower at 113.5 mph to the PP1's 115.1 mph trap speed."

"Too bad for both of them that the torque-rich Camaro SS 1LE (455 lb-ft versus the Mustang's 420 lb-ft) reached 60 mph in 4.0 seconds flat. My track-day notes on the Camaro hint at a couple reasons why: "Well, there are two ways to skin this cat: either almost bog the SS off the line then go to wide-open throttle, or you can slightly raise the launch rpm and ride out some easily controlled wheelspin. Both work to the same end with the latter being more consistent. The short-throw shifter is terrific, and the no-lift-shift program is awesome. Ford could learn a 'thinger two' from this Camaro."
That's right. During the entire quarter-mile run, a driver can keep the throttle pedal pinned to the firewall in the Camaro SS. Just kick the clutch pedal and grab the next gear while the engine belches/waits a split second for the clutch to engage again before giving full power back. Do it right, and it practically feels/sounds like an automated manual transmission. Back-to-back runs prove it's measurably quicker exploiting no-lift-shift. In the end, it was a close virtual race, but again, the Camaro SS 1LE wins the drag race against both of the Ford GTs (PP1 and PP2) with its own 12.4-second 114.2-mph pass."

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Another article with false info... The A10 does get a Torsen rear diff.
Also someone on the forum has already done 11.9 sec 1/4 mile in a non-HP A10 against the wind.
These articles make me laugh.
The car is awesome, bottom line!
Someone should write an article about how limited the #'s will be because of the chip shortage.
The Mach 1 somehow fell behind the pp2 not only in acceleration but in braking and handling? Keep reading and it’s revealed that the tires are worn and need to be replaced.

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
The Mach 1 somehow fell behind the pp2 not only in acceleration but in braking and handling? Keep reading and it’s revealed that the tires are worn and need to be replaced.
Yep very valid point. Rubbers are so good these days it could make for difference in results. We know how fast HP tires wear. Also the camber plates were adjusted to most aggressive setting, I think this would result in a smaller contact patch had they been set to a more neutral position for the straight ahead braking test.

Also the yahoo article (Car&driver) was 70mph to 0, the motor trend test 60mph to 0.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a36030144/2021-ford-mustang-mach-1-drive/

Another thing is they are testing at different locations, different drivers different surface preparation condition ect, and ambient temps. Lets all remember measurables are good, but they apply to that car (particular tires) that day, in those conditions. sure it gives us something to go on, but lets not stay away from citing a 5 feet different or a .1 sec difference as anything significant to the real world, when stuff is that close chalk it up to essentially the same.

DEDXXXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Black 6MT M3629
When I found out I was too late to get a PP2, the M2 Comp was my first choice. Then I started hearing about the M1. Decided to stick with the American V8.
Sponsored