MexicanFiestaST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Hey all,
I was wondering what folks see for 'normal' tire life for their Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires.

Since I drive year round here in Michigan, I invested in a winter wheel/tire package, so my summer tire life may seem abnormal.

I bought the car new in Sep 2020, and it now has just over 40k miles, most of it highway driving(I love road trips, summer and winter). I estimate the Michelins see a little over half that mileage. They are obviously showing some wear, now. I'm not quite on the wear indicators, and they are getting pretty loud. That's annoying, but not surprising. I have yet to track this car, and my driving is mild to spirited(cloverleaf on ramps are a blast, right?)

Anyway, I was wondering what kind of life I should expect from the Michelins? I should define 'life' in maybe two forms: 1) those of us who wear the tire wear down to the indicators, or, 2) those of us who can't stand the 'age loudness' and you replaced them even though they weren't on the indicators.
Sponsored

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S has a written 30K mileage warranty. If you are running a staggered fitment divide that number by two. You might receive a little more, or a little less depending on your driving habits, and the way you have your car set up.

I have seen some folks getting close to the 30K mark so it's doable, but for me personally, I average 15-18K on my DD.

Hope that helps.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
If its true PP1 then it is staggered. You are guaranteed 15K miles from Michelin on their treadwear warranty. Anything more is just icing on the cake!

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
40k and almost 3yrs....pat yourself on the back. For a grand you can pick up another set of PP1 wheels and tires with little mileage on the Mustang6g classifieds as a replacement. You're winning.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
40k and almost 3yrs....pat yourself on the back. For a grand you can pick up another set of PP1 wheels and tires with little mileage on the Mustang6g classifieds as a replacement. You're winning.
You got 40k miles off of one set of PS4S?!

Edit: Nevermind lol! I see you were referring to the OP's post :)

Sponsored

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
You got 40k miles off of one set of PS4S?!

Edit: Nevermind lol! I see you were referring to the OP's post :)
All good...

I do have 30k on a set of original 2018 Goodyear Eagle 265/35/20s...but I go easy on them and they get swapped with winters for a few months. They probably have about a season or two left.

Point being to the OP, if he's getting 40k.... he's good...if even they are getting a little loud.

20230425_125855.jpg

OP
OP
MexicanFiestaST

MexicanFiestaST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
If its true PP1 then it is staggered. You are guaranteed 15K miles from Michelin on their treadwear warranty. Anything more is just icing on the cake!
Yes, this is true PP1, staggered from the factory. I'm happy with this so far.

I wasn't actually aware of the Michelin 15k warranty, good to know. A little over 40k on the car is a little over 20k miles on the summers, so I'm going to enjoy the icing :party:.

Side benefit: the winter tires are also lasting just as long(just under 20k on them). Turned out to be an excellent investment.

NTXChris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT
I got about 24k out of my stock PS4s (lowered, BMR cradle lockout, a few other things).

Rears were down to the wear bars, and both front and rear were just starting to show cords. Even with a better alignment, I doubt I could have gotten much more out of them.

My commute is about 60/40 highway/city, and 60 miles round trip.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
I got about 24k out of my stock PS4s (lowered, BMR cradle lockout, a few other things).

Rears were down to the wear bars, and both front and rear were just starting to show cords. Even with a better alignment, I doubt I could have gotten much more out of them.

My commute is about 60/40 highway/city, and 60 miles round trip.
I have a very similar commute! I got 27k out of my fronts but only 19k out of the rears. But I do get up to the mountains quite frequently.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Do you think you cut the 30k miles in half if you rotate from side to side? They aren't directional.

Sponsored

LetItRide1978

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
At what tread depth are you guys swapping them out? I got 4.5/32 on the rears and 6.5/32 on the fronts after 4 years and 15k miles. Mine definitely don’t seem as grippy as when they were new and they have been on the car in the garage thru 4 Ohio winters now.

Last edited:

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Do you think you cut the 30k miles in half if you rotate from side to side? They aren't directional.
Some tire rotation is better than no tire rotation at all. When rotating tires from one side of your vehicle to the other on the same axle, you don’t change the wear pattern very much.

Your left front tire and right front tire will wear very similarly. Switching these tires will even out inconsistencies in wear between the two sides but they will still wear very similarly.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Some tire rotation is better than no tire rotation at all. When rotating tires from one side of your vehicle to the other on the same axle, you don’t change the wear pattern very much.

Your left front tire and right front tire will wear very similarly. Switching these tires will even out inconsistencies in wear between the two sides but they will still wear very similarly.
Question for you… Can i replace my 275/40R19 ‘s with 295/35r19’s in the rear if I keep my 255/40r19’s up front or is this too much of a stagger? What’s the downside?

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
A staggered set on a pony car, count your blessings if you got anything better, than
18000 front
10000 rear, If you drop the hammer every now and then and fishtail the ass end.
The point of having the pp1 is to drive it spiritedly . If not, a square set will allow the tires to last longer because you can rotate them.
Part of why I am not a fan of staggard set ups for the street, you are not going to get any measurable gains from it on a public street surface. All you get is a little wider looking tire from the back that the rear bumper/etc blocks the view of.

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Question for you… Can i replace my 275/40R19 ‘s with 295/35r19’s in the rear if I keep my 255/40r19’s up front or is this too much of a stagger? What’s the downside?
Assuming your wheels are wider than 9", you should be ok. No issues. Anything narrower, the tire will crown out, wearing prematurely.
Sponsored