Sponsored

2020 Ecoboost Mustang Slow At Altitude?

NewDriverHere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Mustang
I currently have a base 2020 ecoboost mustang and am seeing 8 second 0 to 60 times at about 4000 feet and 95F. Is this normal expected acceleration. I didn't think the altitude would make such a difference compared to the ~6 second time expected for this vehicle. I want to make sure there is nothing wrong with the vehicle as there are no engine codes or other warning lights; thus the dealer won't look at it without charging a diagnostic fee since there doesn't seem to be any indication of anything wrong.

Thanks.
Sponsored

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Are you using premium or regular fuel? The Ecoboost loses a lot of power on regular.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
There is nothing wrong with your car. Altitude and equally important the high heat will kill your turbos performance. The intercoolers on the EcoBoost’s are historically inadequate ( I had a 15’). The heat soak at 95 degrees alone could effect your times. Add that to the thin air at 4000 feet and it’s a lose lose. Also as ihc said you “have” to run premium. In your conditions is is not a recommendation, it’s a requirement.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Turbos do a much better job compensating for altitude than NA engines but they’ll still lose a little and I have to agree with the heat soak hypothesis. The computer is almost certainly pulling timing and protecting your motor.

That said, 0-60 in 8 seconds is nowhere near what that engine is capable of. I’m surprised that you’re losing that much.

How many miles are on the car? What fuel are you running? Which transmission? How are you launching it?

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Don't discount the possibility of a measurement error. Electronics and operators are responsive to heat, as well.

Sponsored

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Turbos do a much better job compensating for altitude than NA engines but they’ll still lose a little and I have to agree with the heat soak hypothesis. The computer is almost certainly pulling timing and protecting your motor.

That said, 0-60 in 8 seconds is nowhere near what that engine is capable of. I’m surprised that you’re losing that much.

How many miles are on the car? What fuel are you running? Which transmission? How are you launching it?
Exactly what I thought, too.
Yes, regular fuel reduces power but shouldnt be the reason for getting 8 seconds, AT ALL.
Even with higher temps. In my 2016 I can still manage 6.1 sec in mid 90Fs...(IAT = 93F)...always on 93.

He'd have to be EXTREMELY heat soaked...Idk.. like doing a run with IAT's above 125F?? have few miles in the odometer, crappy surface...cuz I cannot think of any reason 8 seconds could be even possible.. wow.
Reminds me of this video on youtube:

LIKE DAMN...lol

OP
OP

NewDriverHere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Mustang
Thank you all for the replies. I was using 91 octane from Shell. I switched to "93" octane last night. I put that in quotes because it said 91 octane on the handle but supposedly its 93 octane fuel that they cant legally advertise as such. Anyways, my 0-60 time dropped down to 6.2 seconds... I'm quite shocked there's such a big difference between 91 and 93. I would have expected that if it was maybe 87.

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Thank you all for the replies. I was using 91 octane from Shell. I switched to "93" octane last night. I put that in quotes because it said 91 octane on the handle but supposedly its 93 octane fuel that they cant legally advertise as such. Anyways, my 0-60 time dropped down to 6.2 seconds... I'm quite shocked there's such a big difference between 91 and 93. I would have expected that if it was maybe 87.
Im sure there is more to it than just going from regular to premium...EDIT: you were pumping 91...so , yea, it wouldnt be that drastic.
You wont go from 8 to 6 sec ...
other things are to blame for the 8 seconds you were getting...
How many miles in the car? What were you IAT's? 10R80? just out of curiosity..
mostly likely just driver...you lol

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Sounds like the car was pulling a lot of timing due to knock. Heat or octane related

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
High IAT’s are the main killer. My ST (which was a 2.0) would go gutless real quick once the IAT’s got up from stop and go.

Sponsored
OP
OP

NewDriverHere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Mustang
Car has 12000 miles and is a 10 speed. IATs probably around 105 or so? I did the same test today in approximately the same outside air temperature and got the hugely different result. I guess I will continue to monitor and see if the same issue pops up again when it gets even warmer with the same 93 octane. Other than that, I cant think of anything else.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You also need to provide a lot more information man. Using eco mode, and launching by just stomping on the gas pedal is very different than using track mode and using launch control (if equipped). If not using sport of track modes, your T/C might be cutting power to avoid wheel-spin. Once you provide more details, I'm sure you'll be told what you're doing 'wrong' (if at all), but at those high temps and high altitude, you're not that far off IMO. Remember the 0-60 figures you read about are with optimal conditions (and sometimes are downright impossible to duplicate), meaning sea level, 68F, 93 octane fuel (and very little of it), only a light driver, etc., so quite far from your conditions.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Car has 12000 miles and is a 10 speed. IATs probably around 105 or so? I did the same test today in approximately the same outside air temperature and got the hugely different result. I guess I will continue to monitor and see if the same issue pops up again when it gets even warmer with the same 93 octane. Other than that, I cant think of anything else.
Maybe you had a bad tank of gas. It happens.

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
You also need to provide a lot more information man. Using eco mode, and launching by just stomping on the gas pedal is very different than using track mode and using launch control (if equipped). If not using sport of track modes, your T/C might be cutting power to avoid wheel-spin. Once you provide more details, I'm sure you'll be told what you're doing 'wrong' (if at all), but at those high temps and high altitude, you're not that far off IMO. Remember the 0-60 figures you read about are with optimal conditions (and sometimes are downright impossible to duplicate), meaning sea level, 68F, 93 octane fuel (and very little of it), only a light driver, etc., so quite far from your conditions.
As a '16 EB owner...I disagree..I cannot think of any reason why an 8 second run is even possible... UNLESS it is raining / wet roads plus hot and humid, etc...lol
OP states outside temps were 95F...maybe he had been idling for a prolonged period of time getting those IAT's at or above 130F...granted I live at sea level but if im not mistaken, altitude DONT affect turbos as much as in NA cars.

Anyway, I say that because Ive done some runs in my stock ECU EB in 90F outside temps (95 IATs), and still manage 6 - 6.1 seconds with a slight 1500 rpms launch...(of course switched stock tires to summer grippier ones)

OP then says he was later able to get 6.2 sec under same conditions.... soooo who knows what was wrong with his car on that 8 second pull...a heck of a lot of knock? lol
Sponsored