Sponsored

2019 Camaro refresh to compete with 2018 Mustang refresh

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Who the hell thought that refresh was a good idea? What the hell. This is a perfect example of "if its not broke, dont fix it".

Thing is it was broke but they broke it even worse :doh:
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
IMO the RS front end looks decent. As for the 2019 SS and 2018 Mustang GT, I am guessing that Dodge is sitting back and saying why even try to mess up the great 2015 Challenger redesign. Let's just sit back and take over the sales lead without trying. They just need to screen the resumes and reject the ones from former Ford/Chevy designers.
The 2018 mustang is still outselling Dodge though...

OMEN_STAR

American Muscle
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Monther
Vehicle(s)
Camaro 2SS/1LE
im done with Camaro!

this is very bad for competition

future assumption: camaro production will stop soon. Ford will innovate less since there is no competition anymore.

a sad year for Muscle cars

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think the refresh will grow on you as with many other cars. Often the designers see things in another perspective than the regular crowd.

To notice how things hang together/cohesiveness you need to see the car quite many times and see it live rather than on pictures. Personally I liked the 18 Mustang refresh off the bat and I do like the refreshed Camaro as well.

What is shame is that there is no upgrade on the interior side, e.g an updated cluster, the current analog clusters look very dated/cheap also would be nice with some nicer materials.

As for the power bump not being actualized I don't think it is needed. The car is lighter than e.g the Mustang and with the 10 speed auto I think it will be a bit faster. On race track the 16-18 is already faster than the Mustang, which shows how competent the Camaro is from dynamics PoV.

Last edited:

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
The 2018 mustang is still outselling Dodge though...
And as I have stated many times on here, only 2015-2017 Mustang owners seem to be the key haters of the 2018 GT. Most non-S550 owners can't tell much of a difference between the original and refresh versions of the car.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
And as I have stated many times on here, only 2015-2017 Mustang owners seem to be the key haters of the 2018 GT. Most non-S550 owners can't tell much of a difference between the original and refresh versions of the car.
And the S197 guys who just hate all S550s

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
As for the power bump not being actualized I don't think it is needed. The car is lighter than e.g the Mustang and with the 10 speed auto I think it will be a bit faster. On race track the 16-18 is already faster than the Mustang, which shows how competent the Camaro is from dynamics PoV.
The mustang going from a 6 speed auto to a 10 speed was a big deal. The mustang went from 4 fwd gears and 2 OD to having 7 fwd gears and 3 OD. This is the biggest reason the MY18 GT is significantly quicker than the 15-17GT.

The 2019 camaro get's 1 more fwd gear and 1 more OD....it's not going to make much of a difference at all, but should improve fuel economy.

As for which one is faster on the track, there isn't enough data currently to establish that. Almost everything we have seen points to the 18GT and 18camaro being a dead heat. Not many 18GT owners seem to be tracking their cars...and the few that do seem to be instantly modding them...making it difficult to establish stock times. The two cars have an almost identical hp/weight ratio.

The question is, will the one extra shift in the A10 camaro do anything for 1/4 mile performance if the A8 already does a great job of keeping the car in it's powerband? Most camaro folk don't seem to think it's going to make much of a difference at all.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Who the hell thought that refresh was a good idea? What the hell. This is a perfect example of "if its not broke, dont fix it". Those taillights.. jesus christ.
Well, if I were at GM and looked at the sales of the Camaro after the last redesign I would think changes are needed. IMO they shouldn't have done the refresh, they should have accelerated the next replacement. The outside of the car was too similar to the previous gen, but that wasn't the worst problem.

The biggest problems with the Camaro are high prices and poor interior ergonomics in my opinion. Too bad those aren't as easy to fix as changing a couple parts on the exterior of the vehicle.

Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Like the first 18 Mustang pics I think we have to wait for more real life pictures to really judge the car. Most people here said 18 Mustang was horrible until most saw them live and felt like it's not that much of a huge change as Pictures suggest.

I added to pics of the 19 SS, I guess it will grow on most people. Just like I prefer the 15 GT I think the 16 SS style is just more harmonious since it's following one design idea of edgy lines but the refresh is adding a lot of round elements.

But what will hurt the car is that there is kind of no technical changes. No more power, only a handful of new Features (no digitales gauges, no ACC, no lane assist, etc) and no sign of the teased entry Level V8. There is really no need to upgrade from 6th gen to refresh at all, since it's mostly just visual changes.

Also added a 1LE photoshop, I think the design could work with more black elements on the car.
f144t21267p568298n2_bYydWqjZ.jpg
f144t21267p568373n2_zIYqMjiZ.jpg
f144t21267p568370n2_IQYdkyZK.jpg

Infidex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT w/ Tremor Package (PP2)
This is just following the new norm, 3 year intervals now for refreshes so it was due. Knowing this was coming has probably put a slump in the camaro sales which we've all seen lately, but I don't know that this refresh is really going to boost them. I can see how the front will grow on me over time, and color of the car can play a big role in how this will look overall (I don't mind that black center section when you see it with other black accents throughout like the spoiler, hood, maybe even roof, but has to be with the right colors). The tail lights are horrible, I like the current ones, they've been the best of the camaro's since its return in my opinion, not a fan of these new ones. The rear of the car will be much harder to like.

Let's see how sales are over the next 2 months for Camaro, I wouldn't be surprised to see an uptick in sales.

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
still ugly and still looks like a transformer.....and still has the damn visibility issues.

Glad I picked up the '18.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Like the first 18 Mustang pics I think we have to wait for more real life pictures to really judge the car. Most people here said 18 Mustang was horrible until most saw them live and felt like it's not that much of a huge change as Pictures suggest.
The difference between this and the mustang is that the mustang was revealed spontaneously with no idea what it was going to look like, and was leaked with pictures in an awful color at the same less-than-flattering angle. As soon as Ford officially revealed the car and showed more angles of it, people started warming up to it. And even at that, the initial release pictures of the 2018 didn't get as bad of a reaction as this did.

The Camaro design, on the other hand, has been out for 2 years with the Bumblebee design (which also received consistently bad reactions) and has already had time to grow on people. It was debuted from multiple different angles in multiple packages and multiple colors, so there's little room for misjudgement of the car. and they didn't fix anything about the car that people regularly voiced their disliking of (Like Ford fixing the cowl on the hood and reducing front end lift).

This update is just an overall mess. the body lines don't flow at all, the design isn't creative, and they totally missed what their market was asking for. Huge fail on Chevy's part. I personally was really looking forward to this redesign because there are a lot of cues about the 2016 Camaro that I really don't like, and if GM can nail the visual appeal, they could probably start outpacing the Mustang in sales considering how people overhype its performance, which would push Ford to bring out something radical. GM totally missed their mark on this one

SpeedRacerXT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
im done with Camaro!

this is very bad for competition

future assumption: camaro production will stop soon. Ford will innovate less since there is no competition anymore.

a sad year for Muscle cars
At least the Mustang has been in production every year since its intro, non-stop. Looks like that will just continue.
Sponsored