2019 and 2020 4" to 8" Screen Upgrade + Drive Mode Toggle Switch Enable Writeup

DNA_DUDE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Base
Well, my friend convinced me to go ahead and install the newer radio with XM Sat. The car has the antenna installed and I could see it by pulling the headliner down. I followed it down between the seats but by the time it gets to the center arm rest, nothing! I decided to order a new antenna from Amazon and ran it through the front vents and across the top of the glove box, then down to the kick panel. I am not going to get XM but if I ever sell the car it will be there and can list it as an option. I finished the rest of the install and it looks good. Everything works except the hazards doing that weird thing and the driving modes does nothing as expected. The one thing I was not expecting is that my compass always points north and the navigation is not working. Guess that is another setting that needs to be done. If anyone knows what that is please do share. Here are some pictures of pre and post install.
20230319_164044.jpg

20230326_185904.jpg
Sponsored

Spang550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Performance Package
Well, my friend convinced me to go ahead and install the newer radio with XM Sat. The car has the antenna installed and I could see it by pulling the headliner down. I followed it down between the seats but by the time it gets to the center arm rest, nothing! I decided to order a new antenna from Amazon and ran it through the front vents and across the top of the glove box, then down to the kick panel. I am not going to get XM but if I ever sell the car it will be there and can list it as an option. I finished the rest of the install and it looks good. Everything works except the hazards doing that weird thing and the driving modes does nothing as expected. The one thing I was not expecting is that my compass always points north and the navigation is not working. Guess that is another setting that needs to be done. If anyone knows what that is please do share. Here are some pictures of pre and post install.
20230319_164044.jpg

20230326_185904.jpg
I would contact Breeves. He can help you out for a price. Just google Breeves02.

DNA_DUDE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Base
I would contact Breeves. He can help you out for a price. Just google Breeves02.
Once I updated Sync 3.4 and the compass started working after driving for about 30 min. Next goin go to make the modification to fix the hazards and turn driving modes.

Plantonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hector
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Hi, so I updated to the newest version of sync3 via usb and now my 8” screen is black. I’m able to connect to Bluetooth and hear FM radio, but nothing else. Any input please?

UPDATE: I was able to update the radio using the vin of the donor car and it worked fine.

How do I change the vin on the radio using forscan?

Last edited:

DDLMfamspam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DD
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Basic
Hi everyone. I have a 2020 Mustang Ecoboost Base. It's a SYNC 3 and am looking to upgrade to an 8-inch screen w/GPS. Looking at salvage yards. Have read thru the post and found a lot of valuable info. Just wanting to confirm if a system from a 2020 Shelby would fit my car? Will take any and all advise and input. TIA

IMG_7530.jpg

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Hi everyone. I have a 2020 Mustang Ecoboost Base. It's a SYNC 3 and am looking to upgrade to an 8-inch screen w/GPS. Looking at salvage yards. Have read thru the post and found a lot of valuable info. Just wanting to confirm if a system from a 2020 Shelby would fit my car? Will take any and all advise and input. TIA

IMG_7530.jpg
The Shelby's bezel dials are tinted while regular Mustangs are bright silver. Also find a bezel that doesn't have heated seats.

DDLMfamspam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DD
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Basic
The Shelby's bezel dials are tinted while regular Mustangs are bright silver. Also find a bezel that doesn't have heated seats.
Thanks for the info. The one I'm looking at comes with the Bezel, so you are saying that bezel will not work? I know the heated seat's function won't work but will the rest of it work? Otherwise, that means I'll have to buy the bezel and the components separately, I guess. I saw somewhere where someone said that the Shelby system won't work in basic eco. This is my 16 yr old son's car and he was wanting a tesla screen, but I don't really want to go that route.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info. The one I'm looking at comes with the Bezel, so you are saying that bezel will not work? I know the heated seat's function won't work but will the rest of it work? Otherwise, that means I'll have to buy the bezel and the components separately, I guess. I saw somewhere where someone said that the Shelby system won't work in basic eco. This is my 16 yr old son's car and he was wanting a tesla screen, but I don't really want to go that route.
Coloring will be wrong.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is one on eBay..

Screenshot_20230913-164602.png

DDLMfamspam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DD
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Basic
Here is one on eBay..

Screenshot_20230913-164602.png
Okay I see what you are saying. Alright well I need to find another system on Ebay then if I am buying bezel separate. The one I found was $670 but I don't want to spend that much if I'm also buying a diff bezel. I appreciate you finding this one for me.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay I see what you are saying. Alright well I need to find another system on Ebay then if I am buying bezel separate. The one I found was $670 but I don't want to spend that much if I'm also buying a diff bezel. I appreciate you finding this one for me.

Buy the APIM from Tom at Hextall, he will do the full forscan adjustments for you. Not all the changes are here on this forum. You want to stay with the 2019-2020 units. After 2021 there are changes that might not be able to run properly on the 2020.

I got lucky with mine. I was looking for premium door panels and I went to a boneyard about 1hr. drive from me. They had a 2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium. I bought the door panels for $250 in near perfect shape. I saw it had the 8" screen, they said they only want $350 for the bezel and the non Nav APIM. I sold the non Nav APIM to Tom at Hextall and bought one with the Nav, he then did the Forscan tuning for just $35.00.

I did Katzkins and the premium center leather console as well.

finished interior.jpg

Latinsen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang gt Base A10
its been over a year since i did my radio upgrade from 4 inch to 8 inch. i lost access to my ford pass app and wont load the car and or the location. got my radio from a 2019 eco. went to local ford dealer about the issue of my ford pass not working and they just gave me their phone number for the ford pass support. they probably wont be any help wondering if any one else had this issue upgrading radios...

Latinsen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang gt Base A10
I would like to share my experience doing the upgrade. I swapped in an 8” from a 2020 GT into my base 2020 GT. The hardware swap was smooth and enabling the toggles was easy. However I had a few minor bugs. My volume was lower than it should be, especially on phone calls, I no longer had my dif temp info in guages, I had the chimes come out of the gauges instead of the speakers. I had to toggle the hazard switch up to get it to work and up to turn it off(double toggle). I was and you an an extent am a total Forscan novice.

For volume I just needed to go to ACM 727-01-01 and change xx0x xxxx xx as stated on the forum. For my other issues I reached out to both Tom Hextal and Breeves. Both were great to deal with but Tom only does complete kits, not patchwork coding. Breeves hooked me up with the other codes I needed though (I’d share them but it feels wrong to deny Breeves business after he helped me out, it only cost me $50). My recommendation if you get stuck is to contact him. If you want to keep the process simple (but more expensive) just pay either of them for a complete kit.

The only code I have yet to track down between Breeves and my research on this forum and the Forscan forum is the door chime code.

UPDATE: Didn’t want to be that guy that said he’d update but didn’t. So I was never able to track down the issue. Since everything else works flawlessly I just decided to rock the chimes not coming from the speakers. Not my ideal but if that’s my price for getting drive modes, apple car play and making my interior look way nicer I’d say it’s well worth it.
i had the same issue before. keep your old radio. (the blocky looking thing) it will return to normal. people that do swaps all they need is screen and bezel. the radio stays. if you switch out the actual radio it will go into like a safe mode and lower all volumes of the car and get the "old school" chimes. i learned just swapping back to my stock one

Latinsen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang gt Base A10
Just wanted to first say thank you for this write up it was very helpful, I installed last weekend in my 19 and everything is smooth except I’m having issues with the chime for doors open/back up camera proximity sensor chime not playing through the radio.

instead it is reverting to the small speaker that plays in the event the radio/normal speakers isn’t working

I saw this issue mentioned twice on page 9 but didn’t seem like a response was posted, any idea what line might need adjusting in forscan?
read my reply on page 19 ^^^^^

DDLMfamspam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DD
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Basic
Buy the APIM from Tom at Hextall, he will do the full forscan adjustments for you. Not all the changes are here on this forum. You want to stay with the 2019-2020 units. After 2021 there are changes that might not be able to run properly on the 2020.

I got lucky with mine. I was looking for premium door panels and I went to a boneyard about 1hr. drive from me. They had a 2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium. I bought the door panels for $250 in near perfect shape. I saw it had the 8" screen, they said they only want $350 for the bezel and the non Nav APIM. I sold the non Nav APIM to Tom at Hextall and bought one with the Nav, he then did the Forscan tuning for just $35.00.

I did Katzkins and the premium center leather console as well.

finished interior.jpg
Your car looks great. Those are the kind of deals I need to get. There was a Mustang junkyard that closed down I believe in 2021 in Dallas. Now I am regretting getting my son the basic instead of the premium, due to all of the things it doesn't come with. We upgraded the seats and doors to red Katzkin leather which just added on $2300. I was thinking I got a good deal on the car since it only had 11,000 miles but turns out its more of a headache at this point.
Sponsored