2018 PP1 5.0

18_GT5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt
So I just did my first oil change on my car since the dealer services finished I went with 5w-20 10 and a half quarts wondering if it’s too much since it requires 10q am I playing it safe ?
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
So I just did my first oil change on my car since the dealer services finished I went with 5w-20 10 and a half quarts wondering if it’s too much since it requires 10q am I playing it safe ?
Have you considered looking at the dipstick ?

(Gen 3 routinely needs more than 10 quarts to be at the max level)

OP
OP
18_GT5oh

18_GT5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt
Have you considered looking at the dipstick ?

(Gen 3 routinely needs more than 10 quarts to be at the max level)
Yeah I did but it’s really hard to tell the oil is still new if not mistaken it’s at the 2nd dot if not alittle above ..is the oil psi normal at 80-90 psi when I get on the throttle ?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The oil level seems to be tricky on this car (just like my other), but not completely sure yet. I drained the oil for about an hour, and it was barely dripping, so fully drained. I put 10 qts in there, and level was right at the top of the hash marks, like many have reported before. So I topped it off to the max hole, which meant about 1/3 quart more. But when I checked level again, probably about 50 miles later, it was exactly at the top of the hash marks again... and it hasn't moved in 3K miles. So I don't know if my engine just didn't like to be above that level, and somehow that oil was burned, consumed, etc., or simply that firing up the engine, and moving the car around, wasn't enough to 'settle' the oil after the oil change.

So what I'll do next time is to just pour 10 quarts, and see where the level is after the same 50 miles and see where the level is, and go from there.

zworld

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
zane
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I wouldn't put in extra oil like that just to be safe. Remember all the old oil is probably not going to come out as well. Kiss method, just put 10 in and drive it for a bit and check new oil, once it gets a little color it will be easier to see the level. I've always been told to never over fill oil. Our cars hold 10 quarts your not going to hurt it by just putting in 10 and driving it awhile to be sure of the level.
Sponsored