Sponsored

2018 Mustang Refresh (Prototype) First Look!

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I don't *think* (or just don't want to think) Ford is going to be stubborn about leaving Magnetic Ride Control out of their products for as long as they were stubborn about the live axle. Here's the thing about the live axle: it was the best of it's kind -- but even as improved as the new suspention, with it's "new-fangled" IRS (VERY tongue-in-cheek here) it is a little under-damped at all times -- especially in the rear. Better damping seems to have been a legit need for a long time -- through several generations now. That it was done on the GT350 is a fairly clear indication that they want to continue to improve the rest of the Mustang lineup. The bean counters don't like ANY money to be spent -- but the engineers and designers will hopefully fight for that option.
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I don't *think* (or just don't want to think) Ford is going to be stubborn about leaving Magnetic Ride Control out of their products for as long as they were stubborn about the live axle. Here's the thing about the live axle: it was the best of it's kind -- but even as improved as the new suspention, with it's "new-fangled" IRS (VERY tongue-in-cheek here) it is a little under-damped at all times -- especially in the rear. Better damping seems to have been a legit need for a long time -- through several generations now. That it was done on the GT350 is a fairly clear indication that they want to continue to improve the rest of the Mustang lineup. The bean counters don't like ANY money to be spent -- but the engineers and designers will hopefully fight for that option.
There is a very...very small amount of buying public that would be purchasing the magneride as an option. Can you imagine the shitstorm that would ensue if the Ford dealers were as dumb as the Chevy dealers when they start throwing magneride optioned vehciles on the lot, driving prices to the point where it's detrimental to sales?

From my understanding, a fairly large amount of GTs are sold with the performance pack. This is due to it's high value. Adding an additional $2k-$3k on top of that makes it a tough pill for most to swallow.

I'm not saying Ford won't do it, I'm saying that the rewards aren't necessarily there. They aren't losing sales because they aren't offering magneride. Hell, most people won't ever know the difference between the performance pack handling and base GT.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I would go back and get it -- or see if it's possible to add to my current car for that. Remember that I originally said *if* it could be added for around $3000. I believe that moving forward -- perhaps another 10-15 years from now -- MRC won't be an option -- and it won't be dead. It will be mainstream even for non-performance vehicles -- the way an IRS is now.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
The profit has to outweigh the extra engineering, assembly line modifications, training etc. involved in the process. Magneride isn't a bolt and go operation.

Is the business case there? Ford has been selling an ass ton of S550's without Magneride. They likely aren't losing any customers due to not having the option. If anything else, the business case isn't there. The only reason for Ford to add it to the mix would be to offer an option similar to it's rival...just because.
Are you reading what I am saying? The major development cost to put Magneride into the S550 is done. The GT350 program has paid for that.

The only real cost, is the tweaking the current logic to meet whatever functional objects or limits the regular Mustang would have. That, and it's cost would be rolled up as part of a Mid Cycle action.

If this is not a planned approach. Ford will go to the supplier, and say we need X more Magneride setups. Guess what. The cost won't go up from what they are currently paying on the GT350. They will either stay the same or go down.

If was planned, the supplier and the terms have been negotiated. It is well known that Ford is very hard price wise on suppliers, partly because the commonize and plan rather well so they can get good deals.

Now for the kicker with the business case. I don't have actual numbers for Magneride, but I do have air ride numbers. The price you pay as an option for magneride, is not what Ford pays. GM charges 3k. I would venture they make close to 50%+ profit on that. Based on technical cost, Ford most certainly charges, and makes money from options.

How familiar are you with plant sequencing? Front and rear cradles come in as an assembly. They are sequence based on the options of the car. Automatic vs Manual, Gear ratios, Mustang vs Shelby.

They all bolt up the same. So line speed and plant considerations are nearly identical.

The Magneride suspension "Height/level" sensors are the biggest difference to the plant. But again it's already been sequenced due to the GT350.

Just the frequency on installing them would increase.

[ame]

Ford builds the Raptor on one of the highest volume production lines in the world...

The old Raptor was arguably as unique if not more so from a plant perspective as the Shelby is to the Mustang.

The business case for that vehicle is so good, they decreased commonality and the 2017 will get a unique front frame module.

Ford Performance products exist to further the rest of the Fords products, generate excitement, and keep money spent from R&D in racing/sponsorships pertinent to production vehicles.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Because they want to go fast. It offers dynamic response drom.road imputs, not just a cushy ride

All are fast, all have magneride.
Magneride is expensive as $$$ to replace. Shocks are like $650 at least and have to be replaced in pairs. And it doesn't last as long as traditional shocks & higher issues with them according to some other sites with cars that have them.

Sponsored

ftrv8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
On order '17, but still looking at '18
Nice discussion on MagneRide.

Bob99b5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2007 Mustang GT convertible
Magnaride as an option is a near certainty at this point. There's no sense in arguing whether or not it will be offered, or speculating on its cost. It could be a stand alone option, it could be offered as part of or in conjunction with the performance pack, or it could be restricted to higher level trims only. Personally I want all the options and all the choices, chief amongst them magnaride, active exhaust, and updated infotainment but I would evaluate it all based on cost. If the price gets too high, it might convince me to spend a bit more and get a GT350 instead but that's the power of choice and the beauty of having options. My bet is that Magneride won't come in as high as others are guessing - as others have said, the engineering is done and Ford has an incentive to price it properly to get their projected take rate.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Are you reading what I am saying? The major development cost to put Magneride into the S550 is done. The GT350 program has paid for that.

The only real cost, is the tweaking the current logic to meet whatever functional objects or limits the regular Mustang would have. That, and it's cost would be rolled up as part of a Mid Cycle action.

If this is not a planned approach. Ford will go to the supplier, and say we need X more Magneride setups. Guess what. The cost won't go up from what they are currently paying on the GT350. They will either stay the same or go down.

If was planned, the supplier and the terms have been negotiated. It is well known that Ford is very hard price wise on suppliers, partly because the commonize and plan rather well so they can get good deals.

Now for the kicker with the business case. I don't have actual numbers for Magneride, but I do have air ride numbers. The price you pay as an option for magneride, is not what Ford pays. GM charges 3k. I would venture they make close to 50%+ profit on that. Based on technical cost, Ford most certainly charges, and makes money from options.

How familiar are you with plant sequencing? Front and rear cradles come in as an assembly. They are sequence based on the options of the car. Automatic vs Manual, Gear ratios, Mustang vs Shelby.

They all bolt up the same. So line speed and plant considerations are nearly identical.

The Magneride suspension "Height/level" sensors are the biggest difference to the plant. But again it's already been sequenced due to the GT350.

Just the frequency on installing them would increase.

Ford builds the Raptor on one of the highest volume production lines in the world...

The old Raptor was arguably as unique if not more so from a plant perspective as the Shelby is to the Mustang.

The business case for that vehicle is so good, they decreased commonality and the 2017 will get a unique front frame module.

Ford Performance products exist to further the rest of the Fords products, generate excitement, and keep money spent from R&D in racing/sponsorships pertinent to production vehicles.
Dearborn Truck Plant...my temporary home from Feb 2014-Feb 2015 :love:

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Majority of the world doesn't need magneride driving to work, grocery store, or weekend drives. I see it happening as an option, but nothing more.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Majority of the world doesn't need magneride driving to work, grocery store, or weekend drives. I see it happening as an option, but nothing more.
Exactly.

And not necessarily soon. My guess is it won't be part of a refresh.

Magneride alone isn't going to sell vehicles. It would be a cool option to have, but it's not an option Ford is going to make much money off of, unlike the GTPP where a huge percentage of GTs are optioned with.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Absolutely. The major point in the discussion is the way to affordably(to Ford) implement it as a check the box option is mostly done.

If they offer it, and you want it check that box.

I see a fair amount of base cars sitting on lots. I don't think there will a major issue with not getting a non magneride car off the lot.

Last edited:

ftrv8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
Makes a change from JC Design's photoshop :D

WE NEED MORE SPY PHOTOS!!!!! :rant:

:ford:
Agreed!! Something! Once a month.

When did the mule picture come out? In Sept I believe.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
*Sales numbers aside*
(please remember I put that caveat there before gunning me down with love)
Chevy offers MRC at various trims, and whether we like it or not, the Camaro is the current performance leader between Mustang and Camaro.
Granted -- Mustang equality is only a tune away, and is -- IMO -- a better value.
That said, I firmly feel that Ford has indeed started off conservatively with everything offered because they have a plan to continue to outperform, and outsell Camaro.
Historically in this game Ford will introduce something to get one up on Camaro from a performance perspective -- and it's so close. There may not be a lock on MRC -- but I would be astonished to learn that it wasn't being seriously discussed, with all variations being looked at relative to economies of scale (put on every car -- unit price looks like A, put on special edition -- unit price looks like B, offer as option, expect to have the box checked x times and it costs C). Of course it comes down to dollars. But you have to spend money to make money, and have to bring it all forward, or become irrelevant.

ftrv8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
MagneRide as a standalone option, wouldn't be a bad idea.

Heck how many people get the Adaptive Cruise control option now? Guessing not many, but still offered.
Sponsored