Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT Tick and Rattle at 1500 rpm, but dealership says its from the exhaust.

kms0567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Hello friends, I need some help and advice from what I should do to fight back with the dealership.
It seems like tick and rattle is common on 18 Mustangs. I have it as well with 1500-2000 rpm rattle, so I took it to the dealership. I also submitted the case to Ford right after I dropped off the car into the dealer.
However, after a couple of days, they called me today and wanted me to create the noise so they could hear it. It didn't make any sense to me because the noise is so obvious and it is there. When I submitted the case to Ford, they said they will get the dealership manager to get in the issue, and today, I think he was there as well. However, when a bunch of dealership people including the service manager assigned by Ford heard the noise, they told me it is coming from the exhaust. Common characteristics of coyote motor, another tech who drives this car have a tick as well etccetc... they were basically telling me it's normal and coming from the exhaust. I knew it's not coming from the exhaust so I argued with them for least 10 mins and they decided to get FCA, Ford engineer to be here to hear the noise. And while waiting for the FCA to arrive, they took the loaner vehicle back from me and wanted to drive the ticking mustang until FCA arrives. Now I am worried that the FCA will also say that it is coming from the exhaust and it is the normal characteristics. I added comments on the case about what happened today but, I feel like I have no power fighting back with them. Any advice on how to solve this issue? Also, the vehicle was at the dealer for 12 days now, and can this be part of 30 days of buyback lemon law? Please do not tell me to go to a different dealership. other dealerships in my area are worse than here. Thank you.
Sponsored

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
Read up on your states lemon laws at their DMV site. Start a journal and write conversations, persons names, times and dates. Get receipts. The twelve days are counted as long as you get it documented. And if they say it's the exhaust, then tell them to fix your exhaust. Do not argue with them about what you want and not want done. Don't want to give them any reason to name you an unruly customer.

kidamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt 10 sp auto
Hello friends, I need some help and advice from what I should do to fight back with the dealership.
It seems like tick and rattle is common on 18 Mustangs. I have it as well with 1500-2000 rpm rattle, so I took it to the dealership. I also submitted the case to Ford right after I dropped off the car into the dealer.
However, after a couple of days, they called me today and wanted me to create the noise so they could hear it. It didn't make any sense to me because the noise is so obvious and it is there. When I submitted the case to Ford, they said they will get the dealership manager to get in the issue, and today, I think he was there as well. However, when a bunch of dealership people including the service manager assigned by Ford heard the noise, they told me it is coming from the exhaust. Common characteristics of coyote motor, another tech who drives this car have a tick as well etccetc... they were basically telling me it's normal and coming from the exhaust. I knew it's not coming from the exhaust so I argued with them for least 10 mins and they decided to get FCA, Ford engineer to be here to hear the noise. And while waiting for the FCA to arrive, they took the loaner vehicle back from me and wanted to drive the ticking mustang until FCA arrives. Now I am worried that the FCA will also say that it is coming from the exhaust and it is the normal characteristics. I added comments on the case about what happened today but, I feel like I have no power fighting back with them. Any advice on how to solve this issue? Also, the vehicle was at the dealer for 12 days now, and can this be part of 30 days of buyback lemon law? Please do not tell me to go to a different dealership. other dealerships in my area are worse than here. Thank you.
it appears you already had one 17 car lemoned lawed? Going thru that once should have gotten alot of the questions answered, you have some bad luck

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
This ain't no normal characteristic, never in my 40 yr old life, heard metal on metal contact followed by metal shavings in my oil and consider this normal.

Having said that, this holds true only if it sounds just like all the other videos, including coming from the bottom end, following rpm etc.. I have saw a few videos from people online saying they have the tick and they did indeed not have anything wrong.

Make a deal with them, ask the dealer to have the tech cancel out one cylinder at a time with you and the engineer present, if the noise goes away with 1 cylinder cancelled out, you know its not the exhaust, if it doesn't, than offer to pay for that diagnostic. Why I say, make sure it is indeed the same tapping others are having.

OP
OP

kms0567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Read up on your states lemon laws at their DMV site. Start a journal and write conversations, persons names, times and dates. Get receipts. The twelve days are counted as long as you get it documented. And if they say it's the exhaust, then tell them to fix your exhaust. Do not argue with them about what you want and not want done. Don't want to give them any reason to name you an unruly customer.
Thank you. I actually asked them to fix the exhaust, but they were not even trying to do it. Looks like they were thinking “what are you asking us to fix? This is the normal characteristics of coyote engine.”

Sponsored

OP
OP

kms0567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
it appears you already had one 17 car lemoned lawed? Going thru that once should have gotten alot of the questions answered, you have some bad luck
Yes that is correct. It is the same symptom and issue as 17 that 18 is going right now. But last time on 17, they werent questioning me but tore down the engine and did what they were supposed to do, but not this time. They keep saying its normal and from exhaust.

OP
OP

kms0567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
This ain't no normal characteristic, never in my 40 yr old life, heard metal on metal contact followed by metal shavings in my oil and consider this normal.

Having said that, this holds true only if it sounds just like all the other videos, including coming from the bottom end, following rpm etc.. I have saw a few videos from people online saying they have the tick and they did indeed not have anything wrong.

Make a deal with them, ask the dealer to have the tech cancel out one cylinder at a time with you and the engineer present, if the noise goes away with 1 cylinder cancelled out, you know its not the exhaust, if it doesn't, than offer to pay for that diagnostic. Why I say, make sure it is indeed the same tapping others are having.
I will try to ask for it. Should I wait for FCA to arrive or begin asap?And i will try to upload the video if possible.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Since you have already been through the RAV process with your 2017, you should know your State’s Lemon Law - and in no way do I mean that in a deragotory manner.

I’m saying it because yes in *some* States the Lemon Law can be:

1) In shop for same repair for a total of 30 calendar days (meaning 30 days within the year).

2) At the shop for 30 consecutive days (meaning it’s sitting there every day, for 30 days).

Some States even have lower counts for how long the Manufacturer and Shop are limited to, to make the repair right.

I wouldn’t bank on the 12 days counting towards anything, UNLESS your State Lemon Law’s provisions are within set parameters and clearly understood.

——

As far as the FCA (also referred to as FSE), I would wait for that individual to examine the vehicle. The FCA/FSE trumps the Service Manager and Tech as far as experience, knowledge and having proper techniques for diagnosis.

If you have an existing Case, do not allow the CSR to close it until you are 100% satusified with either the repair or results of the finding.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I researched further for you...

If the current Ford Dealership and it’s Service Manager is claiming it is “exhaust” related, then tell them to fix it. There are only (2) TSB’s that exist for the S550 5.0 regarding possible exhaust related noises.

See attached. Granted these are not for the 2018/2019 model year, but those are the only advising docs from Ford that are related to any S550 5.0 exhaust noises. So if they are insistent on it being an exhaust related event, tell them to reference the doc numbers in their system and fix it. If the noise is still present it’s not exhaust related (as you already know).
69392AE4-28E8-46DC-A209-235822B3CB18.jpeg

Attachments

BHRS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Anniversary #1326 - 2016 Z51 Stingray - 1972 C10 Cheyenne
My '15 GT is in the dealer now getting the exhaust resonator replaced. I had a tick/rattle between 1000 and 1500 rpm's. Slowly raising the rpm's and decelerating in 6th, 5th, or 4th gears between those rpm's also brought out the noise. My dealer covered the part under my extended warranty so if you have the same issue it should be covered as well. Good Luck!

Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Thank you. I actually asked them to fix the exhaust, but they were not even trying to do it. Looks like they were thinking “what are you asking us to fix? This is the normal characteristics of coyote engine.”
Did you listen to the noise with them or did they do it without you? I would want them to point out where in the exhaust is making the noise. You really can debate them unless you point out the noise to them so that you both agree at least on the noise and where (about) it is coming from. Do you have a clip of the noise? Is it similar to the other noises owners have posted?

OP
OP

kms0567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I researched further for you...

If the current Ford Dealership and it’s Service Manager is claiming it is “exhaust” related, then tell them to fix it. There are only (2) TSB’s that exist for the S550 5.0 regarding possible exhaust related noises.

See attached. Granted these are not for the 2018/2019 model year, but those are the only advising docs from Ford that are related to any S550 5.0 exhaust noises. So if they are insistent on it being an exhaust related event, tell them to reference the doc numbers in their system and fix it. If the noise is still present it’s not exhaust related (as you already know).
69392AE4-28E8-46DC-A209-235822B3CB18.jpeg
Thank you very much sir, the TSB you attached for me seems to be related to 2015 and resonator. My currently does not have resonator but x pipe. Should I talk with them saying The only known issue for s550 exhaust is something related to resonator and its only for 2015?

OP
OP

kms0567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Did you listen to the noise with them or did they do it without you? I would want them to point out where in the exhaust is making the noise. You really can debate them unless you point out the noise to them so that you both agree at least on the noise and where (about) it is coming from. Do you have a clip of the noise? Is it similar to the other noises owners have posted?
They did separately, and wanted me to create the noise, so like 10 dealership people and I heard it as well. I am not sure who the guy was at the dealership service department, but he was strongly stating that it is coming from the exhaust. I will upload the video today.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
They did separately, and wanted me to create the noise. I am not sure who the guy was at the dealership service department, but he was strongly stating that it is coming from the exhaust. I will upload the video today.
Ok....anytime I have ever brought in a car for a noise related issue (maybe 4-5 times on various cars) I either had them listen to the noise with me or take a test drive with them to point it out. This is 99% more effective when it comes to discussing it. If you don't they can tell you a dozen reasons why a noise exists or does not.

OP
OP

kms0567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
This is the tick and rattle coming from my 18 GT. Thanks guys.
Sponsored