2018 headlight wiring to connect DRL

Mblondin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mathieu Blondin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I bought a lower grille that has DRL lights with mo instructions :( 2 wires (red and black) and wish to confirm my hypothesis that I need to splice it like so: Red to Grey-Purple and Black (ground) to black-green.

Thank you for your help
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Keep in mind the official DRLs on our cars are the low beams (which you can disable on the instrument cluster), and not the 'tri-bars', which cannot be disabled. But you probably knew that already :).

thor1969

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Ecoboost Premium Convertible
I bought a lower grille that has DRL lights with mo instructions :( 2 wires (red and black) and wish to confirm my hypothesis that I need to splice it like so: Red to Grey-Purple and Black (ground) to black-green.

Thank you for your help
I just got the same thing for Christmas. Did you get yours figured out? Anything in the installation process to be concerned about?

OP
OP

Mblondin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mathieu Blondin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I just got the same thing for Christmas. Did you get yours figured out? Anything in the installation process to be concerned about?
Hi Thor,

No, not yet. I'm in Canada so I will take it around april/may. So far my research tells me Red to Grey-Purple and Black (ground) to black-green.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mblondin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mathieu Blondin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost

It's Rob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium (previously 2020 Ecoboost)
I just bought the same Honeycomb style lower grille and need to know how to install the wiring. Does anyone have any solid facts about installing this? Like said above, there is only a black and red wire. Will this be too much to add to the line? will it short a fuse if splicing with the proper wires?

I cannot find anything online. other items have piggy-back connectors to the headlight, or installs are for a GT for the upper grilles with lights.

It's Rob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium (previously 2020 Ecoboost)
just got back from the ford dealership to which the electrical mechanic explained to me that the best option would be to run the wire to the fuse box and give the DRL grille lights it's own power source, and by using a relay. Running the lights by just splicing the existing DRL will most likely short a fuse, or give engine codes.

The wires were also explained; Holding the passenger side Headlight plug, the wires are starting from the front row facing you(clip face you), right to left are wire ports(openings) 1-8, then the wire row further from you is 9-16(again right to left). Wherever the BROWN and GREEN is, or (car depending) BLUE and GREEN which is what I have, this is wire number 1.

The wire the you should connect the relay into is is wire opening 4 which is violet and white. DO NOT CONFUSE this with the wire numbers 5 which is also violet and white right next to the first violet white. the ground wire can be attached to the battery ground or maybe there is a fuse box ground wire as well so you don't have to stretch it to the battery.

Hope this helps.
plug.jpg
plug and numbers.jpg
wiring.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: