Sponsored

2018 GT MT - Cylinder Misfire?

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Anyone get a flashing check engine light? Last night on the highway I noticed my check engine light flashed on and off for about 30 seconds and stopped, did not notice any power loss. I am going into Ford Wednesday to have it checked. Have not gotten it to flash again. Not sure if this was the 1st time or only my first time noticing the light, it doesn't make any kind of warning sounds.

For the record I have the rattle problem and the clutch grind, both deemed normal by dealer. If they say this is normal as well I will go elsewhere for a second opinion on all matters.
Sponsored

Murder5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP1 MT82D4
I had this happen. I was on the highway WOT into a 3rd and 4th pull when I noticed the CEL was flashing and then went away when I slowed down to cruise in 6th. Car's a bone stock GTPP1 6 Spd with 2,500 miles on it at the time. Used my Ngauge that I was planning on marrying to the car when I was ready to tune it and it read P300 random multiple misfire. Taking the car into Ford tomorrow 7:30AM. Hopefully they can resolve not only it, which I suspect has to do with the plugs or coil packs and figure out why it sometimes stumbles after a warm start and sitting in traffic in neutral after driving it for a bit the idle will sometimes feel lopey. I'll keep you posted.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I had this happen. I was on the highway WOT into a 3rd and 4th pull when I noticed the CEL was flashing and then went away when I slowed down to cruise in 6th. Car's a bone stock GTPP1 6 Spd with 2,500 miles on it at the time. Used my Ngauge that I was planning on marrying to the car when I was ready to tune it and it read P300 random multiple misfire. Taking the car into Ford tomorrow 7:30AM. Hopefully they can resolve not only it, which I suspect has to do with the plugs or coil packs and figure out why it sometimes stumbles after a warm start and sitting in traffic in neutral after driving it for a bit the idle will sometimes feel lopey. I'll keep you posted.
That sounds like a variable timing cam issue.

BigBoss5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP Premium
Had the same thing happen to me today. Going to the dealer on Tuesday. Starting the car when it's already warm gives me a terrible idle the first 5 seconds, car stalled once already

OP
OP

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Had the same thing happen to me today. Going to the dealer on Tuesday. Starting the car when it's already warm gives me a terrible idle the first 5 seconds, car stalled once already
I never had issues with drive-ability. It popped up for 30s just the one time. Took it to the dealer, they said there was no error code shown. They stated they had a TSB for the CEL flashing, so they did the required fix. Have not had an issue since.

Sponsored

BigBoss5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP Premium
Update, ran the car hard today, was a hot day. Car had a flashing CEL so I pulled over and let it cool down, and the light went away. Started driving hard again and the CEL came back on flashing, and ended up staying. Went to the dealer and it was a random misfire code. Dropping the car off next week to get full diagnostic.

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
'16 EB here. This story is eerily similar to the issue I've been experiencing with my car.

I was bouncing around for several weeks trying to diagnose this. First I thought it was a bad aftermarket coil pack (nope) Then I thought it was a spark plug issue. (nope) All along I was thinking about un-metered air and/or vacuum issues...but it is very difficult to pinpoint because it only occurs every few weeks, and under differing conditions. A few days ago - in desperation - I tried something radical: When the car was in "sick" mode (engine off) I used my finger to "pop" the fuel filler flapper, and indeed it POPPED like a beer can. And the engine started right up and ran perfectly. This was six days ago, and it's still running perfectly.

So now I believe it to be vapor lock. * * *

Some amount of trouble-free driving? Check.
Surprise loss of power? Check.
Flashing CEL? Check.
Stalling/hard to re-start? Check.
Super-rough idle? Check.
P0300 (and P0301 & P0302?) Check.
CEL self-corrects? Check.

And at the exact moment it occurs, the engine makes a terrible farting/roaring sound that is just like diesel truck engine braking. Very disconcerting. If it doesn't stall immediately, it will instead develop no power - cannot accelerate much beyond walking speed.

* * * There's a little more to the story -- and I admit that it sounds like I am not sure what's going on (which is true) but at this point I am focusing on fuel supply issues with a side order of vacuum (purge valve?) problem(s).

Oh - and IMO the P030x codes are useless. They seem to appear under all sorts of conditions...but offer zero help in pinpointing the problem.

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
Update, ran the car hard today, was a hot day. Car had a flashing CEL so I pulled over and let it cool down, and the light went away. Started driving hard again and the CEL came back on flashing, and ended up staying. Went to the dealer and it was a random misfire code. Dropping the car off next week to get full diagnostic.
What did it end up being?
Sponsored