Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

Redmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Heres a link to the best sound clip I could get of it:
Sponsored

Redmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Yep sounds the same to me. I swear a used 2016 that I test drove had the same noise only much louder. Funny enough it was why I didn't buy that car.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Man that sounds awesome to me!

Mod is just x pipe to non active exhaust?

Redmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT

Sponsored

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Can't believe this is still happening. I can hear your rattle, but it is not as obnoxious as the one I had or some others. Was your video taken when the engine was cold or warm? If it mostly goes away when warm then that is a good sign.

My engine was fine during idle or in neutral. Only happened under light load.

Redmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Can't believe this is still happening. I can hear your rattle, but it is not as obnoxious as the one I had or some others. Was your video taken when the engine was cold or warm? If it mostly goes away when warm then that is a good sign.

My engine was fine during idle or in neutral. Only happened under light load.
It was taken when Cold. It is much harder to heard when warmed up. I just had the oil changed and have not noticed a change in the volume of the noise. I am not really worried about it at this point other than hold off on any real mods for now.

ForgeMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt 6 speed base
Hey everyone, read through the thread. Here is my rattle. This is with the windows up. Had 1000 miles when I bought it, a leftover 2018. Only owned it for 3 months. The rattle is getting louder every day it seems. I am worried the car was abused while it sat at the dealer as long as it did. I sell cars so I know how people treat these. I have an appointment to take the car in.

ForgeMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
Went to the dealer this morning, unfortunately we got hit with a random warm front so it's harder to hear. I showed him videos I took the past few days, and information from this thread. I also noticed I have been losing some oil, picture below. The exhaust tips are also absolutely filthy with carbon and soot, so we looked at that. Ordered first oil change, they are going to cut the filter and check for metal shavings and do a consumption test.

I am going to boroscope and see if I can see any damage to the cylinders. Car has 3800 miles.
20181220_125201.jpg

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Went to the dealer this morning, unfortunately we got hit with a random warm front so it's harder to hear. I showed him videos I took the past few days, and information from this thread. I also noticed I have been losing some oil, picture below. The exhaust tips are also absolutely filthy with carbon and soot, so we looked at that. Ordered first oil change, they are going to cut the filter and check for metal shavings and do a consumption test.

I am going to boroscope and see if I can see any damage to the cylinders. Car has 3800 miles.
20181220_125201.jpg
That oil is pretty dark compared to mine before my first change. After 3800 miles, the oil still looked very clean. I also have no soot on my tail pipes. I would be a bit concerned if I were you.

Sponsored

ForgeMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
That oil is pretty dark compared to mine before my first change. After 3800 miles, the oil still looked very clean. I also have no soot on my tail pipes. I would be a bit concerned if I were you.
That's a good point, I didnt think about the darkness of the oil. I am definitely concerned but I'm confident I wont have an issue getting an engine replacement. Unfortunately a buyback is not an option for me, I am in the process of building a house and can't touch my credit until August.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
That's a good point, I didnt think about the darkness of the oil. I am definitely concerned but I'm confident I wont have an issue getting an engine replacement. Unfortunately a buyback is not an option for me, I am in the process of building a house and can't touch my credit until August.
Engine color isn't always the best way to see how things are running in the engine, but this just seems like a big change in very few miles.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Hey everyone, read through the thread. Here is my rattle. This is with the windows up. Had 1000 miles when I bought it, a leftover 2018. Only owned it for 3 months. The rattle is getting louder every day it seems. I am worried the car was abused while it sat at the dealer as long as it did. I sell cars so I know how people treat these. I have an appointment to take the car in.

Be sure to send them this video. I can hear it.

ForgeMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
So I pulled a spark plug on each side and looked at the cylinders best I could. Did not have an attachment to see the sides very well. Looked at 1 on each cylinder bank they looked extremely dirty, but normal.

Used a technician stethoscope and isolated the noise to the back cylinder of the passenger side. What's weird is the noise is coming from the valve train. Almost like a rocker arm noise.

I have also noticed an increased in the typewriter click. Something is definitely going on either in the back cylinder or the valve train. As soon as I have more time I'm going to boroscope the back passenger cylinder. If that's clear going to have the dealer pull the valve cover.

Have any of you noticed a ton of carbon on your exhaust? Like a rich tune amount of carbon.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
That oil is pretty dark compared to mine before my first change. After 3800 miles, the oil still looked very clean.
That's a good point, I didnt think about the darkness of the oil.
IMO, that oil doesn't look bad for 3800 miles ... doesn't look that dark on the dipstick.
Sponsored