2018 GT-Is an oil separator necessary?

disneyfun1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Art
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Prem Calif Special, 2021 Mustang Mach-E
just wondering if an oil separator, such as JLT 3.0 is really worth getting for the car or not.
Sponsored

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
Probably not. Unless you are routinely up at the high-end of the rev range (road course/strip work) oil/oil mist carry-over is minimal. I use one and liquid blow-by is significantly more during track outings than street use. I have minimal time under my belt though...

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
JMO, but, since the car is both port and DI running ethanol flex or full should help keep the valves cleaner than straight pump. I would just skip it and run breathers myself.

Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
JMO, but, since the car is both port and DI running ethanol flex or full should help keep the valves cleaner than straight pump. I would just skip it and run breathers myself.
Assuming you don't mind misting your engine bay in oil. Been there, done that. It's just too easy to put on the JLT and empty it every 1K.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
No it absolutely isn't necessary. They are a bit of a pain to empty as well, so there's another reason not to get them. edit: I definitely would not run breathers. It's illegal plus it's messy.

Disclaimer: I have air oil separators on my Mustang and I would do it again. I think it's worth the extra time/effort/cost to reduce the amount of oil the engine consumes. I realize the Voodoo and Coyote aren't identical, but they are very similar IMO.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
That's an alternative
I ran them on my 14 once I swapped intakes at 5000 miles. Was spinning 7700-7800 rpms and no oil on the valve covers anywhere. Cheap crankcase ventilation. Vendors make $ on oil separators so they usually don’t recommend them. Lol.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
No it absolutely isn't necessary. They are a bit of a pain to empty as well, so there's another reason not to get them. edit: I definitely would not run breathers. It's illegal plus it's messy.

Disclaimer: I have air oil separators on my Mustang and I would do it again. I think it's worth the extra time/effort/cost to reduce the amount of oil the engine consumes. I realize the Voodoo and Coyote aren't identical, but they are very similar IMO.
No mess unless your running fair amount of boost. Like running offroad exhaust is not illegal? Lol.

Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2

The JLT isn't anything like the Ford Performance. Reach down, unscrew the base, empty, screw the base back on. Literally takes 1 minute. I just don't understand why anyone wouldn't install one. Cheap insurance for keeping the intake clean. I do agree that valve coking shouldn't be an issue with port injection, but there are still benefits.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
No mess unless your running fair amount of boost. Like running offroad exhaust is not illegal? Lol.
You are right that off road exhaust is illegal. I would recommend against making any illegal modifications to your car. :) There's no reason to delete cats nowadays.

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
...There's no reason to delete cats nowadays.
There’s two threads going on in the Forced Induction section right now because the cats melted and plugged up causing engine damage.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Necessary? No. Millions of Mustangs run without it and they don't have issues.