Sponsored

2018 GEN 5 Whipple 3.0 dyno results

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Well I already run Stage 2 with a 3.875 pulley. Question still stands regarding cats.
Running richer, less boost, and more spark will help with cats. But again, you’d be asking for tuning changes that most aftermarket tuners wouldn’t be interested in doing. Either way, I’m telling you how it could be made more reliable, but there’s still no guarantee on the pistons or cats.
Sponsored

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - Whipple
Thanks EngineerMike!

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I guess I don't really see the dilemma. If you're tuning anything other than the canned whipple tune (which I beleive is the only non-Ford/Roush power adder who has a 50 state legal "tune" that actually complies with CARB and all the other regulatory nonsense) then you're out of sorts with the law (if you drive on the street. If you drive it "offroad only" which is the disclaimer that virtually everyone uses then you're okay, so racecar only, okay, street, probably breaking several codes and ordnances).

So basically, if you're not running the canned whipple or Roush (from Ford) tune, then why even have the cats. You can't pass any sort of inspection with them on there.

If the concern is leaving or maintaining them to return the car to legal down the road, they have solutions for that (where the cats are isolated with joints that you can simply unbolt clamps at each end and insert tubes in their place for offroad use).

Basically, if you're gonna mod it, keeping the cats doesn't do much for you and even if you're worried about returning it to legal configuration later, you should yank the cats and reinstall them if you ever go backward.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I can’t speak for the whole country, but state inspections can very easily determine if you have cats and if they’re functional within reason. However, they can not easily tell if all the parts you’ve installed (including the tune) are 50-state emissions.
Sponsored