2018 GEN 5 Whipple 3.0 dyno results

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - Whipple
I have the Whipple tune primarily due to emissions requirements. If you are looking to get every possible HP then going with a different tune/setup is going to get you closer to that goal.

As far as an aftermarket tune running smoother that is subjective. The early revision tunes from Whipple were not nearly as good as the current revision. The current revision is very 'streetable' and OEM like in my opinion.

The one thing to consider either direction you go is how are you going to put that power to the ground? 750RWHP is not better than 675 RWHP if you are spinning your wheels.

So looking for that highest dyno RWHP, tracking and looking for that lowest ET then aftermarket tune, injectors, fuel system, and a track pack are going to be needed. Maybe an upgraded clutch.

Driving around and looking for better street performance, emissions legal, and arguably greater reliability then the Whipple tune is good choice.

FWIW, I have 305s on the back and they still spin ridiculously easy and I am not about bragging how much RWHP I have.

So the Whipple works well for me in a 10R80 car. Plus I would have no problem going from CT to CA and back without worrying if the engine or trans will make it.

That's my take your mileage may vary.

Rob
Well said! Exactly what I want and likely what I have. Tune and install was done in end of 2018 and is all stock. It’s plenty of power. Just don’t want any ‘running rich’ issues that may clog cats in a shorter timeframe down the road.
Otherwise, my car is VERY streetable and feels super reliable for sure. (Not a lot of experience the FI cars so always learning and asking).
Does Whipple do any updates for tunes for our set up or is it basically set it and forget it after installs?
Sponsored

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2 / 2018 F150 5.0 Whipple Stage 2
There have been tons of updates and you need to be running the latest version for reliability

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
There have been tons of updates and you need to be running the latest version for reliability
oh.. and THIS is why I have you all. I have the tuner that came with the kit of course, so how does this work with updating software?

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
oh.. and THIS is why I have you all. I have the tuner that came with the kit of course, so how does this work with updating software?
Whipple has a calibration request form on their website. They will email you the updated file.

rtg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1+
Vehicle Showcase
Well said! Exactly what I want and likely what I have. Tune and install was done in end of 2018 and is all stock. It’s plenty of power. Just don’t want any ‘running rich’ issues that may clog cats in a shorter timeframe down the road.
Otherwise, my car is VERY streetable and feels super reliable for sure. (Not a lot of experience the FI cars so always learning and asking).
Does Whipple do any updates for tunes for our set up or is it basically set it and forget it after installs?
I recommend you periodically(every 6 months +/-) put in a customer support ticket and ask if there is a new revision compared to the revision you are currently running. They have been very supportive of providing the latest revision. Be prepared for a wait for a response but I have found the response time to be a couple of days.

One item to consider regarding 2018 CATS. There is a technical service bulletin for the CATS. You have to be throwing the appropriate code for either left or right CAT. I took my car in to the dealer after throwing code P0420. The dealer replaced both CATS under warranty. Very nice! The issue is that you need from Whipple, the PCM ID so that IDS can connect and communicate with the PCM. Without that communication the warranty can not be performed. The latest Whipple tune does add some additional CAT protection in the tune.

BTW, the change with the new cats is Ford has moved them further away from the heads. The new location is a little closer to the ground. Not an issue unless your car is lowered. In that case just beware of road were high spots could be an issue. I have not run into a problem yet but I remember to go slow if going over speed bumps.

Rob

Sponsored

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a lot of bad information in this thread.

You don’t need fuel system upgrades until you change fuel to ethanol or you start to run a crazy amount of boost on race gas.

Also the cats don’t clog from running rich.

rtg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1+
Vehicle Showcase
If it is the Tomahawk box then the answer is Yes. You put the new tune file on the SD Card from the Tomahawk. The instructions can be downloaded from the Whipple website from product page of the super charger kit for your year and model.

Rob

rtg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1+
Vehicle Showcase
There is a lot of bad information in this thread.

You don’t need fuel system upgrades until you change fuel to ethanol or you start to run a crazy amount of boost on race gas.

Also the cats don’t clog from running rich.
Well, this comment is all in the context. If you are looking for every last RWHP you will need a smaller pulley, injectors, aftermarket tune, a fuel system upgrade, plus an alternate fuel other than 93 octane.

For a street car with boost, Whipple stage 2, of course a fuel system upgrade other than the DW400 fuel pump (which is an upgrade) is not necessary.

Context is everything.

Rob

Last edited:

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s why we need to be clear with the information we share.

An example would be: changing fuel injectors would require a change in the tune. Because Whipple only supports the injectors that come with their kits, they wouldn’t make the tune changes for the customer. This would require the customer to make the changes themselves (most people don’t have the knowledge or desire) or get a custom tune (because the “tuner” has the knowledge) that makes the changes in the tune.

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
I recommend you periodically(every 6 months +/-) put in a customer support ticket and ask if there is a new revision compared to the revision you are currently running. They have been very supportive of providing the latest revision. Be prepared for a wait for a response but I have found the response time to be a couple of days.

One item to consider regarding 2018 CATS. There is a technical service bulletin for the CATS. You have to be throwing the appropriate code for either left or right CAT. I took my car in to the dealer after throwing code P0420. The dealer replaced both CATS under warranty. Very nice! The issue is that you need from Whipple, the PCM ID so that IDS can connect and communicate with the PCM. Without that communication the warranty can not be performed. The latest Whipple tune does add some additional CAT protection in the tune.

BTW, the change with the new cats is Ford has moved them further away from the heads. The new location is a little closer to the ground. Not an issue unless your car is lowered. In that case just beware of road were high spots could be an issue. I have not run into a problem yet but I remember to go slow if going over speed bumps.

Rob
wow so that’s really interesting. I only mention the cat item because my neighbor/friend (who I would argue is pretty knowledgeable and mechanically inclined) mentioned that it may behoove me to have a tuner take a peek at my air/fuel and make sure it isn’t too rich which may cause premature cat replacement. BUT as I said, I am all ‘stock Whipple’ at this time so I wanted to see what y’all thought.

as for lowering, I am lowered about 3/4” -1” on sport lines so perhaps the new cat location could be an issue. I haven’t talked to the local Ford dealer, mostly because it’s obviously quite modified considering, so I didn’t think they would give me the time of day for any mechanical recall items. But you are saying that they will and the cats should indeed be replaced on my 2018? (8700 miles)

Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible

rtg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1+
Vehicle Showcase
wow so that’s really interesting. I only mention the cat item because my neighbor/friend (who I would argue is pretty knowledgeable and mechanically inclined) mentioned that it may behoove me to have a tuner take a peek at my air/fuel and make sure it isn’t too rich which may cause premature cat replacement. BUT as I said, I am all ‘stock Whipple’ at this time so I wanted to see what y’all thought.

as for lowering, I am lowered about 3/4” -1” on sport lines so perhaps the new cat location could be an issue. I haven’t talked to the local Ford dealer, mostly because it’s obviously quite modified considering, so I didn’t think they would give me the time of day for any mechanical recall items. But you are saying that they will and the cats should indeed be replaced on my 2018? (8700 miles)
A dealer will not just change the CATs due to a TSB. The car has to be throwing a code first.

Regarding the Whipple, if you have the C.A.R.B sticker on the car, the argument I made, and successfully I might add, is that this is an emissions compliant "add on". The CATs are an emissions component that have failed. Hence the code(s). I had not touched the CATs but did have an x-pipe/resonator delete. I argued this was a CAT back component and did effect any emissions components. Lastly, I pointed that this same dealer was selling a Mustang with a Whipple installed as new and did not disclose any warranty limitations resulting from the Whipple. Once they got a valid PCM ID and IDS could talk to the PCM the warranty claim was approved. All went pretty smooth. They ordered the parts and it took one day for the install. However, they did have to reload the stock program. I made it crystal clear that starting the engine with the stock tune was not allowed. They just needed IDS to see the stock program in the PCM to complete the work and log the completion on the Ford system. Once that was done the car sat there until I showed up with the Tomahawk in hand, reloaded the Whipple tune, and drove away.

One note is this was early in the pandemic where dealers had a lot less work. This may have been a factor but can not say for sure.

If you go without a code showing I am sure you will get bounced. Then if a code does show it may be harder to have a fact based discussion with them. Something to consider.

On the lowering, I am lowered by an 1" all around. Not an issue with the new CATs I just watch the speed bumps and crappy roads.

Rob

rtg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1+
Vehicle Showcase
One other thing I do which may not actually do anything but makes me feel like I am helping to protect the CATs... is before I shut the engine off I will let the engine idle for a couple minutes. Especially if I have been driving it hard. The thought being it allows the CATs to cool off some. Driving it hard then shutting off soon afterwards can actual have a rise in CAT temp shortly after shut off.

FWIW,

Rob

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Do you have an nGauge? There is a cat temp PID that I monitor. I’m not sure how accurate it is though and what the threshold of problems occurring is. I can tell you this though, the temps move quickly both up and down depending on whether I’m cruising or hard on the gas.

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
I am in NH for the emissions context.
Wow thanks Rob. Super detailed insight and so good to hear first hand experiences and clear knowledge on the products and bulletins.
So far, no code. And I will make sure I do the idle ‘trick’ before shutting her down, makes total sense.
Again, plenty of power, just want it to last for miles and miles :)
Sponsored