Sponsored

2018 Buying Questions/Advice

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hey guys so I had a 2015 Mustang GT that I traded in for a 2017 VW Golf R. I am now looking to get back into a 2018 Mustang GT. I pay around 406$ a month for my Golf R (MSRP was 41K) but I am only financing around 24,360 over 60 months after putting all the money down from the trade-in on my mustang.

My question is do you guys think I could possibly get a new base Mustang GT and pay around what I pay now for my Golf R ($400 a month). I do not really want to spend more than I am now. The Golf R is is great shape and has 13k miles on it. I have had it for a year. I believe KBB values it around 29-31k for trade in value.

If I could swing it I would get the 301A package which is 2,000. I believe that is worth it for the sync 3 screen and better speakers? And also the black accent package is $995. So that would come out to $39,580. Wondering what I could get that for OTD? I know there are rebates available. I also get a $500 rebate for being a first responder.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
1. None of my business but stop buying cars. 3rd car in 4 model years. Fine if you have the money, you obviously don't and never will if you keep wasting it like this. But again, none of my damn business.

OTD pricing is a joke number... sorry but every state has different DMV fees, different sales tax rates, different treatment of trade equity and it being applied pre or post tax. OTD pricing in one state my be impossible in another. Rebates are also often regional.

At $400 a month on a 60 month loan (please do not compound your financial issues with a stupid 84 month loan) would get you about $22,000 in net buying power- if your getting a good interest rate. How much equity in the Golf R? Be realistic- go to a CarMax for a free estimate, dealers aint gonna give you more.

Add that to you potential loan money. Im betting you have less then $2-5k n equity in the Golf at 1 yr old. So you've got $24- 27,000 for a $34,000 to $36, 000 (rough estimate) 2018 GT. You got the difference....say $10,000 in cash to cover the spread?

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Hey guys so I had a 2015 Mustang GT that I traded in for a 2017 VW Golf R. I am now looking to get back into a 2018 Mustang GT. I pay around 406$ a month for my Golf R (MSRP was 41K) but I am only financing around 24,360 over 60 months after putting all the money down from the trade-in on my mustang.

My question is do you guys think I could possibly get a new base Mustang GT and pay around what I pay now for my Golf R ($400 a month). I do not really want to spend more than I am now. The Golf R is is great shape and has 13k miles on it. I have had it for a year. I believe KBB values it around 29-31k for trade in value.

If I could swing it I would get the 301A package which is 2,000. I believe that is worth it for the sync 3 screen and better speakers? And also the black accent package is $995. So that would come out to $39,580. Wondering what I could get that for OTD? I know there are rebates available. I also get a $500 rebate for being a first responder.
Who knows? Your trade comes into play but a good price to me is always $5-7K off MSRP before tax, tags.etc. Like the other poster said, OTD depends on fees, taxes..etc.

So you left a GT to go to a Golf R to go back to a GT? Sounds like a road to financial ruin. I don't know what $400 in payments is bc I only pay for toys with cash.

Last edited:

jbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
When I fished commercially i bought a new car just about every year. I was putting at least 80k miles a year on my cars so I always tried to trade them in before they hit 100k. Seemed like the 20,000 miles from 80 to 100k almost caused as much depreciation as the first 20k miles.

I don't know your situation so I won't judge.

But back to the question at hand. I paid a total of 34k OTD for my 18 gt/auto. A 6spd would have been a little cheaper. So I would think you might come close.

OP
OP

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
1. None of my business but stop buying cars. 3rd car in 4 model years. Fine if you have the money, you obviously don't and never will if you keep wasting it like this. But again, none of my damn business.

Well, i had gotten rid of my 2015 mustang for personal reasons at the time. But if I can get a good deal on a base gt and get a good trade in value for my golf R and I'm breaking even paying about the same as I am now for the mustang than I am not wasting money am I?

OTD pricing is a joke number... sorry but every state has different DMV fees, different sales tax rates, different treatment of trade equity and it being applied pre or post tax. OTD pricing in one state my be impossible in another. Rebates are also often regional.

At $400 a month on a 60 month loan (please do not compound your financial issues with a stupid 84 month loan) would get you about $22,000 in net buying power- if your getting a good interest rate. How much equity in the Golf R? Be realistic- go to a CarMax for a free estimate, dealers aint gonna give you more.

406x60 is 24,360. That's how much I owed on the R when I bought it after putting down all the money from the mustang. I only owed 6,000 on my 2015 Stang when I traded it in so I put down the rest I think they gave me like 26 or 27 for the stang. So if my R is worth around 30... And I owe around 19,500 now after about a year of payments? So I would have approx 10k to put down on a base 2018 GT. So even if I pay 37k for the GT that's still only financing 27 grand.

Add that to you potential loan money. Im betting you have less then $2-5k n equity in the Golf at 1 yr old. So you've got $24- 27,000 for a $34,000 to $36, 000 (rough estimate) 2018 GT. You got the difference....say $10,000 in cash to cover the spread?

Well, i had gotten rid of my 2015 mustang for personal reasons at the time. But if I can get a good deal on a base gt and get a good trade in value for my golf R and I'm breaking even paying about the same as I am now for the mustang than I am not wasting money am I?

406x60 is 24,360. That's how much I owed on the R when I bought it after putting down all the money from the mustang. I only owed 6,000 on my 2015 Stang when I traded it in so I put down the rest I think they gave me like 26 or 27 for the stang. So let's say my R is worth around 30k. So I owe around 19,500 now after about a year of payments? So I would have approx 10k to put down on a base 2018 GT. So even if I pay 35k for the GT that's still only financing 25 grand. That comes out to about what I'm paying now I think? I'm pretty sure my R is worth more than I owe based on that math to answer your question.

I don't want to make a bad financial decision but that's why I'm asking if you guys think it's possible to pay APPROX what I'm paying now before I waste my time going to the dealership. But I just don't see how I'm wasting money if I end up paying approximately the same.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
406x60 is 24,360. That's how much I owed on the R when I bought it after putting down all the money from the mustang.
So you got 0% interest on the R? Grats. But good luck getting that on the Mustang. I'm thinking under 2% would be impressive from what I've seen.

OP
OP

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So you got 0% interest on the R? Grats. But good luck getting that on the Mustang. I'm thinking under 2% would be impressive from what I've seen.
No, I never said I got 0% interest.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Well, i had gotten rid of my 2015 mustang for personal reasons at the time. B I'm asking if you guys think it's possible to pay APPROX what I'm paying now before I waste my time going to the dealership. But I just don't see how I'm wasting money if I end up paying approximately the same.
I think after you figure out what you're getting for your trade and what your interest rate is going to be, then you'll have an idea. And that's hard to know without going to the dealer first. But if you want a rough approximation, the best person to ask is your calculator.

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
No, I never said I got 0% interest.
That's what that sentence I quoted implies. So your loan balance wasn't 26400, just the total of your payments?

OP
OP

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That's what that sentence I quoted implies. So your loan balance wasn't 26400, just the total of your payments?
lol, I am a little bit confused. I am pretty sure the 406.70 I pay a month is with the interest rate factored into that price.

Sponsored

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Curious, about your impressions of the Golf R? Is it a manual or stick? I miss my Focus ST sometimes b/c of how nimble and precise it was. The Golf R should be all that and then some.

emcee1011

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I would say for 60 months you will pay closer to $500 dependent on if you actually get the dealer to give you 30k for the Golf and also to sell you the Mustang for 35k.

OP
OP

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I would say for 60 months you will pay closer to $500 dependent on if you actually get the dealer to give you 30k for the Golf and also to sell you the Mustang for 35k.
Thanks.

OP
OP

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Curious, about your impressions of the Golf R? Is it a manual or stick? I miss my Focus ST sometimes b/c of how nimble and precise it was. The Golf R should be all that and then some.
It's the automatic DSG transmission, shifts are amazing. Never felt an auto like it. It is most definitely nimble and precise. I like it a lot. I just honestly miss having a V8 muscle car already =(

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's the automatic DSG transmission, shifts are amazing. Never felt an auto like it. It is most definitely nimble and precise. I like it a lot. I just honestly miss having a V8 muscle car already =(

So I've heard. Yes I can understand missing the V8 though.
Sponsored