Sponsored

2018 Adaptive Cruise question.

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2018 GT Premium PP/MR
Like I keep trying to explain, it's not that you become totally unprepared. Just a little less prepared than you could be.

Preparedness isn't an all-or-nothing matter even though the consequences could be.

Norm
You're arguing about something you've never used.
ACC isn't the end of the world. When used responsibly I think we will find it's going to reduce collisions, but that's just a guess.
You clearly just like to argue, so I'm done.
Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
You chose a car that adjusts the air fuel ratios based on conditions, that cancels turn signals, that lowers the windows slightly to make opening the door easier, that eases off the brakes on wheels that hit an oil slick or black ice. A real man re-jets carbs every few hours, spins into trees, etc..
Yep, the A/F thing isn't always spot on, but it's necessary for electronic injection... you've no idea how much I'd prefer mechanical injection.

The car doesn't cancel my turn indicators... I do by turning the wheel. Every now and then in an extended turn (think right turn to a right-loop on ramp) the cancel cam won't come around, or in a strange left turn the cam comes around too soon... It's not perfect... but the fact that it annoys me means I'm paying attention.
Funny you should mention traction control and ice... recently got stuck on a .5% hill covered in ice because Traction control was going nuts... had to turn it off to get anywhere. I'd definitely turn it off permanently if that was possible, but it resets to -on- every restart.

I wouldn't even be surprised if you let your car mute music when a call comes in, or let it call 911 when you get t-boned, etc..
damn straight I turned 911 assist off.

So.....basically you just want a car that won't do something you don't want it to but are okay with it doing things you do want it to. That makes you just like everybody else in the world. Not cool to want anyone else to be denied what they want because YOU don't want it
bascially, I want other people to pay attention to the road as much as I do...
Not a phone, not a child, not a burger, not the radio...

The good news is you won't be forced to use ACC, or stop smoking, etc..
basically one day you will ACCume that your car will avoid the driver that switches lanes too close in front of you when in ACCuality you should've predicted it and backed off when the situation initialized... but the computer couldn't see that.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
On engine fueling and ignition - as tasks that no human can keep up with in real time with any efficiency (let alone emissions compliance), those are prime candidates for some sort of automation (and have been, in at least all-mechanical form, since before I started driving). Tasks that you can keep up with are a little different.

On atrophy of skill, it first comes off the top of your capabilities. So unless you're consistently driving at something like a 9/10ths level on the street, you aren't going to see it happening unless you step away from driving entirely for an extended length of time. But you're either in denial if you don't think it's happening at all or you never found out where your personal 10/10ths really lies to know where that atrophy begins.

Norm

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes Norm, you know it all. I'm sure the 160 miles I've used ACC out of 2000 on my new car is terribly atrophying my skills.
You win.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I could own a 2018 GT tomorrow, own as in fully paid for. If ACC was fitted to that particular car I still wouldn't use it. Wouldn't be using it even if it had come as standard equipment in the cars I already do have.

Then again, I'm not a slave to my phone so I don't need a driving crutch for that reason.

Norm

Sponsored

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What do phones have to do with it? Or are you just claiming superiority due to your Luddite status?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
What do phones have to do with it?
The phone is the easy target, but it could be any other common distraction you care to name. The less you have keeping your mind otherwise occupied, the weaker any argument gets for actually needing things like ACC.

Norm

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nobody is arguing that you need it. Nice try though. I don't think you could present a coherent argument if your life depended on it.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm afraid that anything long enough to make it clear to you would be longer than you'd bother to read.

What puzzles me is why anybody would buy a car at least in part because it's enjoyable to drive - outright fun, even - and then actively choose to isolate themselves from part of that enjoyment. And discuss doing so on what is allegedly a forum for enthusiasts of such a car, no less.

I could picture that happening if the car in question was a Camry (or worse, a minivan), but it just doesn't make sense to me why anybody would want to get away from the driving when it's a Mustang. Or a Corvette or a Camaro or a Challenger, for that matter.

Norm

Last edited:

Sponsored

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm afraid that anything long enough to make it clear to you would be longer than you'd bother to read.

What puzzles me is why anybody would buy a car at least in part because it's enjoyable to drive - outright fun, even - and then actively choose to isolate themselves from part of that enjoyment. And discuss doing so on what is allegedly a forum for enthusiasts of such a car, no less.

I could picture that happening if the car in question was a Camry (or worse, a minivan), but it just doesn't make sense to me why anybody would want to get away from the driving when it's a Mustang. Or a Corvette or a Camaro or a Challenger, for that matter.

Norm
I've already explained it, you choose to ignore it.

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How many miles total would you say you've used ACC?
Rough estimation- Maybe 200-250 miles, tops, out of about 2,000 miles. I don't take it on the freeway much.
The situation when I really like it is when the freeway is packed and moving along (not stop and go) and varying between say 60-80. I set it and then I don't have to keep engaging it and disengaging it.
What Norm has repeatedly failed to understand that a packed freeway with fluctuating speeds isn't fun to drive in anyway, so taking away a little aggravation from idiots in the passing lane is a nice thing (for ME, and some others).
Simple math will show you that about 90% of my driving is either in the city or without CC on.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
What I've found . . .

Driving in traffic is to some extent what you make of it, and it doesn't seem to matter whether you go into it hating it for what it is or trying to make the best of it (perhaps by challenging yourself to get better at moving with it instead of fighting it). Nobody's going to come out of the first of those possibilities with any enjoyment at all, any relief at having made it through another trip without incident perhaps excepted. On the other choice, you might surprise yourself at least once in a while.

Even though I no longer have a commute and don't have a very tight schedule on anything else these days, I still do encounter heavy traffic from time to time with max to min speed ranges significant enough to force a hundred shifts inside of every 2 or 3 miles. I figure that as long as I can follow a pace not of my making and keep up with that without it wearing me out physically or mentally (or have it seriously challenge my bladder capacity), I'm going to come out of it with a generally positive outlook.

I'd actually hate having less about the driving to have to do during such times, if only because doing something directly related to your driving makes the time go a little faster.

Norm

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Common sense will tell you that a packed freeway is no place for cruise control.

You're saying that after one road trip, you definitively know that the use of ACC does not allow your driving skill to deteriorate?

That research wouldn't even get laughed at by the peer review process. It'd be ignored.

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Common sense will tell you that a packed freeway is no place for cruise control.

You're saying that after one road trip, you definitively know that the use of ACC does not allow your driving skill to deteriorate?

That research wouldn't even get laughed at by the peer review process. It'd be ignored.

It wasn't one road trip, but yeah. That's what I'm saying- because after I used it I've put another 1,000 miles on it (and about another 1k on my truck) or so and nothing has changed. So yeah, to the extent I use ACC it doesn't negatively affect me.

As far as research goes, get over yourself. Nobody claimed it was anything but anecdotal. At least I've USED ACC unlike Norm.
What's your experience with it?

Common sense with tell you the whole point of ACC Iris to adjust your speed with traffic. Only an idiot would completely trust it without being ready to intervene if required.
Sponsored