OP
philipchai

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium (Lightning Blue)
Tasca Ford has an in-house mod shop. Issue is a lot of times dealers make money on the kit with a suggested retail of $650. Tasca Ford I called and spoke with one of the mechanics and they had no issue with me purchasing the kit brand new from elsewhere. Not all dealers have techs that download the tune. After it was installed my Vin was registered through Tasca so if a future issue arises I will be covered under the factory warranty. You could ask to speak with the service advisor and see if they will do the tune and if you could bring in the kit brand new. https://lmr.com/item/M9603M4C/musta...MIt66jp4Xm5wIVF5SzCh13WAn6EAQYASABEgI98vD_BwE

You can use the LMR6 for 6 percent off. Other times they have 7 percent t off depending on their current sales.
Hey Jimmy, I had it installed today by Evergreen Ford. I have a question, if I upgrade my wheels to 19 inch, do I have to re calibrate it again?
Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
It is not the wheel diameter that matters, it is the outside diameter of the tire that impacts the speedo calibration and to a degree the final drive ratio.

All of the rim diameters (17, 18, 19 or 20 inch) offered on the Ecoboost Mustang had an overall diameter of 27". As long as you select a tire for your 19" rim that keeps the overall diameter at 27+/- a few tenths no need to worry about speedo calibration.

OP
OP
philipchai

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
It is not the wheel diameter that matters, it is the outside diameter of the tire that impacts the speedo calibration and to a degree the final drive ratio.

All of the rim diameters (17, 18, 19 or 20 inch) offered on the Ecoboost Mustang had an overall diameter of 27". As long as you select a tire for your 19" rim that keeps the overall diameter at 27+/- a few tenths no need to worry about speedo calibration.
Hi Dave, thank you so much for the info. Yeah I will make sure the overall diameter stays around that. Yeah I probably will go for 19, I heard 20 doesnt really give much handling performance other than just the looks...

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Magnetic, 2011 Nissan quest
Hi Guys, what happens if you put in 87 octane gas with a tune that is rated for 91 or higher? Just a bit curious
thanks

Jamse-r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang Ecoboost, 03 GT Convertible, 93 Foxbody GT
Hi Guys, what happens if you put in 87 octane gas with a tune that is rated for 91 or higher? Just a bit curious
thanks
BOOM.... you have to understand that this is a Turbocharged vehicle that when the tune is installed is made to run on premium fuel. Detonation will occur and the stock computer can account for this. Don’t bother getting a tune if your running 87 that my friend is playing Russian Roulette.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think it goes boom if you stay off boost. Ford performance told me I can run any fuel I need too, just if going from 93 to 87. Don’t stomp it, fords tune can relearn 87, but anyway they told me that they do not advise it per manual because people will go 93 to 87 and floor it, don’t floor it, stay out of boost.

I was told this because I asked about traveling across country and lack of high octane a

Jamse-r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
If your driving across the country of course that will be an issue. However our factory powertrain warranty went from 5 to 3 years. Also specifically states 91 and higher only for warranty. The computer knows what your running and it is up the warranty coverage to replace any damages incurred by doing so. Again I have had multiple turbocharged cars. Detonation can occur in real driving situations such as accelerating to get on the highway or to pass. Piece of mind you can always add octane booster get a couple cans and every time you fill you can throw in a bottle.

OP
OP
philipchai

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
I don’t think it goes boom if you stay off boost. Ford performance told me I can run any fuel I need too, just if going from 93 to 87. Don’t stomp it, fords tune can relearn 87, but anyway they told me that they do not advise it per manual because people will go 93 to 87 and floor it, don’t floor it, stay out of boost.

I was told this because I asked about traveling across country and lack of high octane a
Hi Donald,
If your driving across the country of course that will be an issue. However our factory powertrain warranty went from 5 to 3 years. Also specifically states 91 and higher only for warranty. The computer knows what your running and it is up the warranty coverage to replace any damages incurred by doing so. Again I have had multiple turbocharged cars. Detonation can occur in real driving situations such as accelerating to get on the highway or to pass. Piece of mind you can always add octane booster get a couple cans and every time you fill you can throw in a bottle.
Hi Jimmy, so you saying after I installed the tune, I can no longer drive cross country? Like Seattle to LA? ‍♂

Jamse-r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
Hi Donald,

Hi Jimmy, so you saying after I installed the tune, I can no longer drive cross country? Like Seattle to LA? ‍♂
I know out west it poses issues with gas quality. My daughter lives in South Dakota and when I drove out there from the East Coast couldn’t believe how man places don’t have 91 or higher. My concern is with the warranty issue and it is up to the dealer and Ford Performance to make that decision. These newer engine management know what gas your running. Once you have done the tune there is no going back and your stuck with their 3 year warranty. You can drive you car anywhere you would like. But for me I knew getting this tune there is also stipulations because if something arises I can assure you it is not going to be easy to get an engine replaced. That is completely up to you. If someone from Ford tells you that your fine running 87 get their name and document it in writing.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
thanks
Keep in mind that when you are off boost you are driving a relatively low compression engine that will run just fine on 87 octane. So if you ever find that you have to put 87 octane in the tank just drive it conservatively and stay out of boost until you can refill with 91/93.

The 2.3 Ecoboost makes enough power off boost to easy keep up with traffic without going into boost. I can drive my 48 mile round trip commute without ever using boost and still easily pull away from the cars around me.

I have been driving turbo 4cyl cars continuously since 1985 and my 13 Focus ST was the first one that recommended 87 as the minimum all others recommended 91 min plus i tuned them all. In the past 35 years there were many times i was forced to use 87 octane and i never had any knock issues when keeping it out of boost.

Sponsored

Jamse-r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
Keep in mind that when you are off boost you are driving a relatively low compression engine that will run just fine on 87 octane. So if you ever find that you have to put 87 octane in the tank just drive it conservatively and stay out of boost until you can refill with 91/93.

The 2.3 Ecoboost makes enough power off boost to easy keep up with traffic without going into boost. I can drive my 48 mile round trip commute without ever using boost and still easily pull away from the cars around me.

I have been driving turbo 4cyl cars continuously since 1985 and my 13 Focus ST was the first one that recommended 87 as the minimum all others recommended 91 min plus i tuned them all. In the past 35 years there were many times i was forced to use 87 octane and i never had any knock issues when keeping it out of boost.
We are running the Ford Performance tune 91 or higher to keep the warranty. Stock is meant to run on 87. Absolutely if you stay out of boost you should be fine but again real world scenarios can change that. We also weigh 3500 lbs again I take no responsibility for what happens to anyone’s engine. That is up to them. Direct injection is much different from the older fuel injection engines we used to drive. My 15 WRX has massive issues do to cheap gas and carbon build up. So to all be careful and best of luck!

Cmw458

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black ford mustang ecoboost premium PP
For whoever asked about the tire with and recalibration, there is a way to go into the procal app included with the tune that you can adjust the diameters/widths so your speedometer reads correctly.
Sponsored