Sponsored

2018 -2019 Whipple owners- I have questions

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
I have a 2019 PP1 A10 on order and have a feeling I will have a Whipple and a pile of parts siting in garage waiting on the car to get here.

For those of you that have already been down this rode or that are close to it, I have some questions.

1. How many are going Stg 1, Stg 2 or Competition on bone stock motor?

2. Did you do a tuner delete? Really starting to wonder if going with Tomahawk with Whipple tune is the right decision. If you did the tune delete, what tuning device and tuner did you decide to go with and why. I understand this is somewhat subjective.

3. If going competition what injectors and supporting fuel system mods did you decide on and why.

4. How many consider OPG’s and CS a must?

5. What other must have supporting mods Halfshafts, driveshaft, etc.

6. Million dollar question how many miles did you wait before going for the install. I am hoping I can get some miles on it before winter when I plan to do the install. Estimated delivery date is 11/7, I am in Kansas so I hope to at least have a month before nasty weather. Obviously trying not to get paronoid about a tick I may or may not ever get, it does have me wondering.

This will not be a daily driver, but my goals are a reliable, consistent 10 sec street car. I was tired of waiting for more info about the GT500 so just decided to order GT and have fun now.

I have been doing my best to read all the threads I can on the various builds. Getting excited for sure. This will be my 6th modded Mustang but first Coyote.

I will be doing all the installs in my garage laying on my back! Just like all the rest :)

Thanks in advance for the advice.
We went with the Stage 2 right from the beginning. We're actually received the 3rd kit ever produced by Whipple for the 2018+.

We ran their calibration and used the new Tomahawk device to flash it to the vehicle. Our car with some octane booster on their calibration made 755rwhp and we went 10.39 our first trip to the track with it. If you want a turn key setup that has all of the factory safety features in place you really can't go wrong with the Whipple tune. They did a great job with it and continue to improve it as they get more and more feedback from customers. If you want more out of the kit then a custom tune from either Lund Racing or Palm Beach dyno would be a great addition. We ended up having Lund Racing tune our car on E85 along with the 3.625" pulley and went [email protected] next time out to the track.

If you go with the tuner kit choosing the correct injectors and fuel system will be based on what type of power you want to support and what fuel you intend on running. It will be different for pump gas then it would for E85. We chose to go with the ID1300x injectors, DW415lph pump and a JMS fuel pump booster. That's what we used to support the power we made with the 3.625" pulley on E85. After that when stepping up to the 10 rib pulley setup we did a full triple pump return style system on the car and easily supported 941rwhp on E85.

If you plan on racing the car I'd recommend a set of upgrade halfshafts. I actually broke a halfshaft in stock form with drag radials only. So we know they're weak and can go at any point. DSS or Gforce are both great options.

Af far as mileage goes we didn't wait long at all. Maybe a few hundred miles. Honestly if the kit was available sooner it would have gone on the car sooner.

If you have any other questions please feel free to give us a call. We're Whipple's largest US distributor and here to help.

Sponsored

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Has anyone made 4 digits with the Gen 5 whipple yet?

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
we've made 4 digit with gen 3 on an 11-14 car, i'm sure gen 5 won't be an issue on someone wanting to do it

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes. I believe Palm Beach Dyno and Lund have tuned a few in the 1000+rwhp range.
I think PBD has tuned (2) 2018's with Gen 5 Whipples over 1000rwhp. I believe our 2018 is the highest HP Whipple'd 2018 that Lund Racing has tuned so far making 941rwhp on the 3.75" upper / 20% lower setup. I'm sure with a 3.50" pulley we'll be over 1000.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Jared

Brent Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black Premium Mustang GT
I have a 2019 PP1 A10 on order and have a feeling I will have a Whipple and a pile of parts siting in garage waiting on the car to get here.

For those of you that have already been down this rode or that are close to it, I have some questions.

Stg 2 for me on the stock motor but with boundry OPG/CG's

2. Did you do a tuner delete? Really starting to wonder if going with Tomahawk with Whipple tune is the right decision. If you did the tune delete, what tuning device and tuner did you decide to go with and why. I understand this is somewhat subjective.

I went with PBD for the tune on my '18

3. If going competition what injectors and supporting fuel system mods did you decide on and why.

I have ID1050X injectors and the $2500 Fore fuel system for use on E85 and of course regular pump gas

They are a must have IMO for safety sake. Spend $1000 or less now to save $10,000 later.

I have Shaft Masters aluminum DS, DSS halfshafts and Steeda stop the hop kit.

6. Million dollar question how many miles did you wait before going for the install. I am hoping I can get some miles on it before winter when I plan to do the install. Estimated delivery date is 11/7, I am in Kansas so I hope to at least have a month before nasty weather. Obviously trying not to get paronoid about a tick I may or may not ever get, it does have me wondering.

I had 985 miles on my car when the blower went on and within a few days it put down 978 RWHP with the 3.625" pulley making right at 17 psi. On the 3.875" pulley it made 898 RWHP on 15 psi. You'll be fine to add the blower whenever IMO.

This will not be a daily driver, but my goals are a reliable, consistent 10 sec street car. I was tired of waiting for more info about the GT500 so just decided to order GT and have fun now.

I have been doing my best to read all the threads I can on the various builds. Getting excited for sure. This will be my 6th modded Mustang but first Coyote.

I will be doing all the installs in my garage laying on my back! Just like all the rest :)

Good luck to you man. You're going to LOVE the Coyote coming from the old school 302 stuff and older modular engines.

Sponsored

Brent Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black Premium Mustang GT
My '18 put down 978 RWHP and 751 RWTQ with the new Gen 5 Whipple a few weeks ago using the 3.625" pulley and 20% OD, 10 rib, standard HE, Full MBRP longtubes, 3" H-Pipe with CATS and their mufflers, E85, ID1050X injectors, Complete Fore fuel system. That is over 1000 at the crank. We could have went to the 3.5" pulley to try for 1000 RWHP but I opted to leave my car alone and in one piece.

OP
OP

ICEFURY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor, 2019 Mustang GT on order
So more questions. What is the best catch can setup for the Whipple and since losing strut towe brace is anyone adding anything or just removing.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
We've installed a lot of these kits already, a lot of our customers are on the older side that don't venture much onto social Media. With that I will say, OPG/ CS I would 100% do if it was my personal car. I've seen in the double digits cracked Crank Sprockets on the S550's. Remember that S/C's in general are harder on the belt system and definitely on the crank. We've already seen some broken/ snapped cranks with guys running 9's on their car. Not to scare you off though, it only accounts for a small percentage and most are max effort guys running E85 or race fuel.

With that said, it will all depend on what you want and what your end goals are. A Whipple tune will and can put a smile on anyone's face and running low 10's is never an easy feat either.

But if it were my personal car this is what I would do, assuming its an automatic.
Whipple Tuner kit (competition kit)
Upgraded H/E
ID1050x's
Boost a Pump
Lund tuning with nGauge
Spark Plugs
UPR Catch Can kit
Depending on driving style and goals Half Shafts will help
OPG/ CS install

We've done honestly dozens upon dozens of this setup. Right now we have a 2016 at the shop with this setup that ran high 9's and is running low 9's with ID1300's and a fuel system. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to give us a shout at Hypermotive. We're always available to answer any questions you may have.

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 lightning blue Mustang GT

I saw a response from Michael Mac and just a heads up, Hellhorse performance has a Michael Mac vortec kit for sale which i assume contains everything he has listed below for about $6200 iirc. You might want to give it a look. He must be modest and didn't mention it but they're selling it as his kit. Check it out

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
I saw a response from Michael Mac and just a heads up, Hellhorse performance has a Michael Mac vortec kit for sale which i assume contains everything he has listed below for about $6200 iirc. You might want to give it a look. He must be modest and didn't mention it but they're selling it as his kit. Check it out
they are just copying all my packages I've been selling for 7 years

he'll they are even using the word "special" can't even be original about copying

we're vortech and paxton's largest dealer and will always customize and beat the copycatters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 lightning blue Mustang GT
they are just copying all my packages I've been selling for 7 years

he'll they are even using the word "special" can't even be original about copying

we're vortech and paxton's largest dealer and will always customize and beat the copycatters
Ok i gotcha, i only brought it up because i saw him post a reply on this thread. I thought maybe he got some money out of that deal, maybe that's why he didn't mention it. I'm wanting to go down that road soon as i can for my 17

OP
OP

ICEFURY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor, 2019 Mustang GT on order
The more I research the more I can’t decide. A lot of good options for FI setups. These damn OPG’s have me just not knowing what to do. Really don’t feel like doing those on a brand new car. Going to be hard enough just waiting to put some miles on before FI. Car should be here soon.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
The more I research the more I can’t decide. A lot of good options for FI setups. These damn OPG’s have me just not knowing what to do. Really don’t feel like doing those on a brand new car. Going to be hard enough just waiting to put some miles on before FI. Car should be here soon.
If you're not gonna be on the 2 step or hitting the limiter a lot you're probably OK on the stockers but a lot of guys end up pushing it so it's just a little extra safety we have lots of cars with them lots of cars without him
Sponsored